EFNIR: Diamine Pumpkin

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Diamine Pumpkin

This is review #300 in my series. Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: This is brighter than I would imagine for "pumpkin" - perhaps the insides rather than the outside...  Anywho, it's a nice bright orange.  Rechecked dry time with better magnification and changed it to 3 seconds after the video and stills were taken - the 4-second line had no smearing after all.

Cleaning was quick and easy, but there was a very slight pink film inside the grip - I missed it at first.  I wouldn't have even bothered trying to get it out were this pen not used for reviews.  A cotton swab quickly wiped it away.  Pen flush probably would have, too.

NOTE: Decided today to write the times for the dry time test before recording the video - it's not like watching me write those really adds anything to the video.  We'll see how long it takes me to turn that into a habit - might forget a few times.

Zoomed in photo (Very close to what my eyes see.)
large.DiaminePumpkinZ.jpg.9de3b5dbde517a2a70e803f11a53731e.jpg

Screenshot (Text is a little too dark.)
large.DiaminePumpkin.jpg.170176c24a55c740bbddd3a8c3bc4722.jpg

Scan of Completed Review (The scanner totally messed up this color! Too dark, burnt, and red - even after color correction!)
large.DiaminePumpkinS.jpg.0b3a6fe399d2aa21f25a433d1797c548.jpg

Absorbent Paper Close-up (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper) (AP: Not quite right. Camera rendered the color rather neon before correction. CP: Not as bad, but still seems to have a neon glow.)
large.DiaminePumpkinAP.jpg.e22d047fd5d75eb3dc4bf62424091482.jpg

Line width (The "I" in "Ink:". Magnification is 100x. The grid is 100x100µm. The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each. The line width for this ink is roughly 292µm. With 300 inks measured, the average line width is 297µm.)
large.DiaminePumpkinLW.jpg.0ffa8b82179ce10a15f5b5fb57a8fb39.jpg

Microscope image (100x. Pumpkin roots in pink soil! :D Color isn't bright enough, should be bright / hot pink.)
large.DiaminePumpkinSmear.jpg.b55aed01d1b6fd345bc0a61c16313d61.jpg

Previous Review: Rohrer & Klingner Leipziger Schwarz.

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

View a list of my inks, complete with review results in a google sheet.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh? Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• InesF

• Sailor Kenshin

• Lithium466

Top Posters In This Topic

Bright, no shading, my type of orange! 

Thank you for the early Halloween Tuesday treat ;)

I see dendrites galore—-brainstorm!

Of your ink comparisons, I have Kin-Mouseki and Pilot.  But Pumpkin is BRIGHT.  It's what I think of when Orange is mentioned.  I like it.  And short dry time?  Yes, plz! 😸

Oh my!  Story's moving fast.  Thanks once again, @LizEF, for Magical Tuesdays. 

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

39 minutes ago, Lithium466 said:

Bright, no shading, my type of orange! 

Thank you for the early Halloween Tuesday treat ;)

:) You are most welcome! ;) And thank you!

11 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

I see dendrites galore—-brainstorm!

:D

11 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Of your ink comparisons, I have Kin-Mouseki and Pilot.  But Pumpkin is BRIGHT.  It's what I think of when Orange is mentioned.  I like it.  And short dry time?  Yes, plz! 😸

:) Thought you might like that.

12 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Oh my!  Story's moving fast.  Thanks once again, @LizEF, for Magical Tuesdays. 

:) You're very welcome!

Thanks for a bright cheerful orange review @LizEF :thumbup: and congratulations for the 300th milestone.👏

As @Sailor Kenshin said, this seems to be the offspring of the crystaline entity, though less freaky ;)

I have to confess that I miss Makhabesh and Essri. "Bookth, bookth and more bookths" ☺️

Thanks for making our Tuesdays brighter and orangey 🙏🙏🙏

5 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Thanks for a bright cheerful orange review @LizEF :thumbup:

:) You're very welcome!

6 minutes ago, yazeh said:

and congratulations for the 300th milestone.👏

Thank you! :D

6 minutes ago, yazeh said:

As @Sailor Kenshin said, this seems to be the offspring of the crystaline entity, though less freaky ;)

:lol:  (It's hard to be freaky when pink is involved - possible, no doubt, just harder.)

7 minutes ago, yazeh said:

I have to confess that I miss Makhabesh and Essri. "Bookth, bookth and more bookths" ☺️

Next week. :)

7 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Thanks for making our Tuesdays brighter and orangey 🙏🙏🙏

:D Gladly!

Thank you, @LizEF, for this ink review and for preparing our eyes for the upcoming autumn! 👍 However, the ink colour still fits quite well to the Red Heat of August. What a clever selection, what a perfect timing and what a surprise! :thumbup:

Many decades of writing with pen and ink had to pass by until I discovered Orange as an acceptable writing colour. Not every orange ink may fit (I'm unendurably picky with each colour) but the more saturated versions that at the same time lean either towards ochre-brown or towards a subtle red can be considered for at least a test. ;) 

"October is coming!" My forward planning for the Ink Challenge has an entry reading: "orange in between olive-green and petrol". Diamine Pumpkin is now on my shopping list ... 🤭 ... thank you, @LizEF! :) :D

And thank you for proving Diamine Pumpkin's biological origin at microscopic scale! Does the ink have a vegan certificate? ;) :lol:

One life!

6 hours ago, InesF said:

Thank you, @LizEF, for this ink review and for preparing our eyes for the upcoming autumn! 👍 

:D You and your eyes are most welcome!

6 hours ago, InesF said:

However, the ink colour still fits quite well to the Red Heat of August. What a clever selection, what a perfect timing and what a surprise! :thumbup:

I would claim to be amazingly clever, but fate gets all the credit here.  The timing of this one was poll-driven.  (Only cartridge inks get reviewed by my timing rather than the poll.)

6 hours ago, InesF said:

Many decades of writing with pen and ink had to pass by until I discovered Orange as an acceptable writing colour. Not every orange ink may fit (I'm unendurably picky with each colour) but the more saturated versions that at the same time lean either towards ochre-brown or towards a subtle red can be considered for at least a test. ;) 

:)  I never would have imagined I like orange inks, but then a kind FPNer sent me Akkerman Oranje Boven.  The same sample set included MB Jonathan Swift Seaweed Green and murky greens grabbed me and pulled me into the swamp, never to return. :D  These two inks may well be responsible for teaching me that you cannot possibly know whether you'll like something until you've tried it (within reason, of course - and for inks, reason simply means "it should be a fountain pen ink").

6 hours ago, InesF said:

"October is coming!" My forward planning for the Ink Challenge has an entry reading: "orange in between olive-green and petrol".

:lticaptd: Apparently I need to re-examine the next color wheel I come across...

6 hours ago, InesF said:

Diamine Pumpkin is now on my shopping list ... 🤭 ... thank you, @LizEF! :) :D

You're most welcome!  Hope you enjoy it.

6 hours ago, InesF said:

And thank you for proving Diamine Pumpkin's biological origin at microscopic scale! Does the ink have a vegan certificate? ;) :lol:

:lol: My gifted-to-me sample did not come with any certificates, but I have no idea what may have been included with the bottle. ;)

18 hours ago, LizEF said:

:)  I never would have imagined I like orange inks, but then a kind FPNer sent me Akkerman Oranje Boven.  The same sample set included MB Jonathan Swift Seaweed Green and murky greens grabbed me and pulled me into the swamp, never to return. :D 

:lticaptd:

18 hours ago, LizEF said:

:lol: My gifted-to-me sample did not come with any certificates, but I have no idea what may have been included with the bottle. ;)

My imagination is running wild. What we see in the microscopy image is maybe the early stage of nib-creep 😰... and The Thing is still growing... 😱

One life!

6 hours ago, InesF said:

My imagination is running wild. What we see in the microscopy image is maybe the early stage of nib-creep 😰... and The Thing is still growing... 😱

:D Nib creep that grabs hold of the nib and refuses to let go - like grass roots spreading across a sidewalk, slowly covering the whole thing...

Great review as always. A beautiful, bold, intense orange, to be sure. I may have to order it.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

11 minutes ago, chromantic said:

Great review as always.

:) Thanks!

11 minutes ago, chromantic said:

A beautiful, bold, intense orange, to be sure. I may have to order it.

:D If you do, I hope you enjoy it!