should I replace this nib?

edteach

I have a Parker Vacuumatic I just finished restoring. The nib is fine but its a replacement. I need the slender vac nib. Found one for $34 The one that came with it is sold 14k gold but not a Parker. Thanks for opinions. 1.thumb.webp.004c313aef1cd12766b3353a258afc9d.webp2.thumb.webp.d4dd46d867164a2fc7f70956b855bd99.webp3.thumb.webp.d93621abc8bf8ec0c4d2e2f632e24458.webpDSC00972.thumb.JPG.a03e6f0380aafca45be9b5dd145b3739.JPGDSC00973.JPG.184670deca52f0412a20800cca141a54.JPG

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• edteach

• VacNut

• PAKMAN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would put a proper Parker nib myself.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I would. Those Vac nibs with the arrow are the pièce de résistance of a stunning pen. 

Top 5 of 24 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

15 hours ago, PAKMAN said:

I would put a proper Parker nib myself.

Hi Mitto,

any idea where to get those Parker Vacumatic spare nibs ?

Regards

If you are in the US, check in with Rob and Rita at Fivestarpens. You can check with Mark at vintage fountain pens in the UK. You may need to check several times as nibs aren’t always available.

The $38 is about half the value of the Vac. You may want to factor in that cost on your next Vac purchase, if the pen is not complete.

On 8/20/2024 at 10:26 PM, Mr.Rene said:

Hi Mitto,

any idea where to get those Parker Vacumatic spare nibs ?

Regards

Well, I personally look for lot(s) of broken / project pens for my supply of P 51 spares includong spare nibs. In the recent past I purchased, from a local bender, a P51 Vacumatic lot of 13 pens with 9 good nib, 4 good caps and all 13 godd barrels, hoods and fillers for a very very good price. 

Also, I purchased  a 16 pens P61 project pens lot from eBay. UK with all having good (broad and double broad) nibs. Some had good barrels, hoods - along with the self flying ARROWS. - and good cappilary and aerometric fillers. 

I never buy a loan nib. 

Best of luck. 

Khan M. Ilyas

The nib is a common replacement part. It is the most used and worn out part of a pen. If you intend on collecting more vacs, you should consider spare pens for parts.

Unfortunately those parts that are needed are typically the parts that are worn on the spare pens. (I imagine every Vac Collector has bins full of barrels, caps, and sections.)

Parker made just replacement nibs but that was over 80 years ago - although they are periodically available.

Vac nibs are a great design and fit the aesthetics of the pen, but admittedly they aren’t always the best writers. If you are a purist, try to find a replacement nib. If the pen is a daily user, you may consider writing with the existing nib to see if it suits your hand.

Either way, enjoy the pen.