EFNIR: Pilot Mixable Colour Blue

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Pilot Mixable Colour Blue

This is review #298 in my series. Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: As mentioned with previous inks in this series, I'm taking them out of order because they're starting to evaporate out of the cartridge. I added a few drops of distilled water to top the cartridge off. I don't believe this has had a significant impact on color or performance.

This is a dark, saturated, blue blue.  The microscope slide was dullsville - one solid color throughout. Technically, I got the slightest hints of shading and sheen on Iroful paper, but only there. Without dilution, don't count on seeing either.

Cleaning was quick and easy.  Since there was ink left in the cartridge, I topped it off with water (maybe 2-3 parts ink for 1 part water), and put it in my Prera with a CM nib. :) Looks nicer diluted, IMO.

Zoomed in photo (Very close to what my eyes see.)
large.PilotMixableColourBlueZ.jpg.0a3fd2abcf1b3738fd8a5e03f9d54537.jpg

Screenshot (Very close.)
large.PilotMixableColourBlue.jpg.aae758ec0961615292b9adcd695782fb.jpg

Scan of Completed Review (Text is a little brighter than reality, and might need just a smidge of purple lean.)
large.PilotMixableColourBlueS.jpg.59511c3702cbd0dfed00233d7194179e.jpg

Absorbent Paper Close-up (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper) (AP: Text is lighter than real life; CP: Pretty close.)
large.PilotMixableColourBlueAP.jpg.beb1b13037c44f19024479e574ed1ddb.jpg

Line width (The "I" in "Ink:". Magnification is 100x. The grid is 100x100µm. The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each. The line width for this ink is roughly 299µm. With 298 inks measured, the average line width is 297µm.) (I could see more sheen under the microscope than showed up in the image.)
large.PilotMixableColourBlueLW.jpg.569e5de1b18148aa56c1bf00a3353a4c.jpg

Other (A little doodle. As you can see, the ink like this fuzzes a bit. It would clearly benefit from dilution.)
large.PilotMixableColourBlueDoodle.jpg.4e27fdc7bb820302a51ac586196964be.jpg

Previous Review: Diamine Wild Strawberry.

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

View a list of my inks, complete with review results in a google sheet.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh? Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• yazeh

• inkstainedruth

• InesF

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh, ohhh! What a Blue! :) 

Thank you, @LizEF, for this review and for the story part and for the "Out Into The Blue" doodle! :thumbup:

I would love to use this blue ink. It's hue and intensity is so much better than what the typical Royal Blue inks are. Lovely colour ... but, oh, no, this feathering. Meeh.

OK, continue searching for how to help the wizards father and for other dark blue inks. Maybe we can find both together at one place? 🤔 :) 

As I can't find a good connection to termites - hmm 🤫, better closing now and looking forward to next week Tuesday! (yes, Tuesday, I made it :) )

One life!

1 minute ago, InesF said:

Ahhh, ohhh! What a Blue! :) 

Indeed!

Thank you, @LizEF, for this review and for the story part and for the "Out Into The Blue" doodle! :thumbup:

:) You're most welcome!

I would love to use this blue ink. It's hue and intensity is so much better than what the typical Royal Blue inks are. Lovely colour ... but, oh, no, this feathering. Meeh.

It does improve with dilution, but I think it would need to be diluted about 1:1 before it lost its tendency to feather.  And at that level, the color would lighten a little (though not as much as you might think).

3 minutes ago, InesF said:

OK, continue searching for how to help the wizards father and for other dark blue inks. Maybe we can find both together at one place? 🤔 :) 

:lol:  Tune in for episode 301! ;)

3 minutes ago, InesF said:

As I can't find a good connection to termites - hmm 🤫, better closing now and looking forward to next week Tuesday! (yes, Tuesday, I made it :) )

:D I was thinking I must have been fast this morning, to catch you still here.

1 minute ago, LizEF said:

:D I was thinking I must have been fast this morning, to catch you still here.

Yes, you were fast and fresh! 👍

And I'm a bit later online than usual! 👍

One life!

Thanks for such a fun, may I say, "hairy" review @LizEF :lticaptd:

This is such a navy blue, the  color looks at times like a dark blurple.

Like the way the story is headed; hope not as sinister as the Name of the Rose ;)

Love the doodle, very soothing. 

Thanks for making Tuesdays so much fun 👍

5 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Thanks for such a fun, may I say, "hairy" review @LizEF :lticaptd:

:lol: You're most welcome, and you say correctly!

5 minutes ago, yazeh said:

This is such a navy blue, the  color looks at times like a dark blurple.

Yep.  Not my favorite color.  I rather like the saturation level and how bold it makes the ink, but the color?  Meh.

6 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Like the way the story is headed; hope not as sinister as the Name of the Rose ;)

:D Thanks!  I shall try to remember that it's just an ink review story...  Had to go read the wiki page on Name of the Rose, and from that, I think you don't need to worry - I'll stop short of the Inquisition.  And if someone in my story turns out to have Sean Connery's voice, I shall be required to swoon.  Him and Sam Elliot - I could listen to either one yammer on about pretty much anything... :wub:

12 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Love the doodle, very soothing. 

:) Thank you!

12 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Thanks for making Tuesdays so much fun 👍

Gladly! :)

@LizEF, what a wonderful Zentangle!  Lively, yet soothing.  I love it.  You could make it into greeting cards.

I've had the MB and pretty sure I had Mixable but no memories of it, good, bad, indifferent.  Is that an assumption or what?  😉

However—-and you all know what's coming—-this southpaw hooker would not appreciate the Eternity Dry Time.  

Your reviews are something I always look forward to.  Thanks so much for making Tuesdays a treat.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

22 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

@LizEF, what a wonderful Zentangle!  Lively, yet soothing.  I love it.  You could make it into greeting cards.

:) Thank you!

I've had the MB and pretty sure I had Mixable but no memories of it, good, bad, indifferent.  Is that an assumption or what?  😉

:lol:

However—-and you all know what's coming—-this southpaw hooker would not appreciate the Eternity Dry Time.

:D  And you can't even hope absorbent paper will save you - unless "save you" involves serious frizz! :lticaptd:

23 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Your reviews are something I always look forward to.

:) Thanks!

23 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Thanks so much for making Tuesdays a treat.

You're most welcome!

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

:D Thanks!  I shall try to remember that it's just an ink review story...  Had to go read the wiki page on Name of the Rose, and from that, I think you don't need to worry - I'll stop short of the Inquisition.  And if someone in my story turns out to have Sean Connery's voice, I shall be required to swoon.  Him and Sam Elliot - I could listen to either one yammer on about pretty much anything... :wub:

Not to mention Daniel Craig 🙀

33 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Not to mention Daniel Craig 🙀

Hmm.  I like the look of him in the Bond films (he's my favorite Bond, by far).  I like his accent.  But I don't remember his voice making me swoon.  I'll have to pop in a Bond DVD and see if I've forgotten something... :D

Now I'm minded by some Agatha Christie mystery where I was totally confused because one of the major characters was named (wait for it... wait for it...) "James Bond"!  Can't remember now for sure, but it might have been a short story (it was one which took place at the shore someplace, and may have been a Poirot mystery).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

42 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

Now I'm minded by some Agatha Christie mystery where I was totally confused because one of the major characters was named (wait for it... wait for it...) "James Bond"!  Can't remember now for sure, but it might have been a short story (it was one which took place at the shore someplace, and may have been a Poirot mystery).

"The Rajah's Emerald" - short story.

Thanks!  It's been a long time since I read that one, since I found it in a collection of short stories at tha local library growing up.  So, um, it's been a few decades.... :headsmack:

I remember when I was a kid (and this would have been BEFORE we moved to the house I grew up in, I think) trying to envision what it would be like in the year 2000, and how old I'd be.  And the shift into the 21st Century is now almost a quarter of a century ago.... :o

Maybe the reason I'm feeling so old at the moment is because I missed the memorial for a guy we knew when we lived in the Boston area in the early 1990s last week.  And then found out last week that one of the first people I EVER met in the organization I've been in since my last year at college passed away something like four YEARS ago.... :crybaby:

And I've been ear worming the old Sandy Denny song, "Who Knows Where the Time Goes" all day.... 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

1 hour ago, inkstainedruth said:

And the shift into the 21st Century is now almost a quarter of a century ago.... :o

I find it better not to think about such things!  Sorry for the passing of your friends - that's hard regardless of the rest.