New Pelikan M670 Warm Grey.

senzen

spacer.png

I can't say it does much for me: luckily since "New Pelikan "+ "Special edition"= $$$. But I'm sure it will find its fans.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• encremental

• Lam1

• lamarax

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How odd - and a  new series? M670 is a weird number, and according to the Pelikan website the nib is 14k with a black PVD coating, which is even weirder.

Souverän® 670 Warm Grey - Passion (pelikan-passion.com)

I do hope it is actually a grey pen - the photographs (probably computer visualisations) make it look like standard Pelikan white. The M200 Lapis Blue is more immediately appealing.

John

4 hours ago, encremental said:

black PVD coating,

Flakes off with in a year or two...from my understanding.

I'd say that pen  is as dull as my blue 605.jLcQ1QX.jpg

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Well, let's hope not - my white with black M100 'Star Wars' which looks very similar is still going strong after thirty odd years! This one looks as if it really wanted to be a M20X, but developed delusions of grandeur.

Agreed - the blue series isn't the most exciting, but they do have charm, especially the M805.

What do people make of that number - where did they get M670 from? Pelikan's numbering system is usually so rigid.

John

If this were a M1000 I'd probably consider acquiring it, but M6xx are not my thing. Still, my wife loves these M600 and might be tempted.

But I do like one thing that I'm seeing here: the cap band is like it was before! Not the one piece (IMO) cheap looking one that came out in the latest M800 and M800.

As for the number, it couldn't be M60x, M62x, M63x, M64x nor M650. So, not much left and, honestly, these things are pretty random. So, I don't think there is much to be read here.

@encremental. The M100 Storm Trooper was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw this one. I thought, "Oh, a grown up storm trooper". But I think your description, "a M200 with delusions of grandeur" is perfect and more accurate.

8 hours ago, encremental said:

This one looks as if it really wanted to be a M20X, but developed delusions of grandeur.

LOL :lticaptd:cubed.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

@Lam1 +1 for the M100 grown-up Stormtrooper comparison. Almost looks more like a slightly off color version. Reminds me a bit of a generic wall paint off white. I'm still holding out for a M200 Golden Lapis.

Reminds me a bit of the MB Glacier White. For me personally the M600 is a strange tweener size. Not small like the 200/400. Not large like the 800 or 1000. Hard for to get comfortable with. I’m out on this one.

46 minutes ago, Cjtamu said:

Not small like the 200/400

:angry:....That could discourage someone from buying extra finely balanced pens.

Rant removed, have ranted often before, and never changed a mind, of anyone who grew up in the day of large ungainly pens; thinking them normal.:gaah:

A 200/400 is not small at all.....If Posted. Then it has great balance and is nimble, and is longer than an unposted 800/1000. It's just not thick.

Port O'Connor is SE Texas, or could be. I lived at the edge of a small 14,000 acre ranch, with a distant view of dead and hurricane destroyed Indianola's fire ant loaded Cemetery. Part of Texas's Hurricane Alley....Was there from first to most of third grade. Fountain pens started half way through 4th grade up in the hills of NY.

3 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

:angry:....That could discourage someone from buying extra finely balanced pens.

Rant removed, have ranted often before, and never changed a mind, of anyone who grew up in the day of large ungainly pens; thinking them normal.:gaah:

A 200/400 is not small at all.....If Posted. Then it has great balance and is nimble, and is longer than an unposted 800/1000. It's just not thick.

Port O'Connor is SE Texas, or could be. I lived at the edge of a small 14,000 acre ranch, with a distant view of dead and hurricane destroyed Indianola's fire ant loaded Cemetery. Part of Texas's Hurricane Alley....Was there from first to most of third grade. Fountain pens started half way through 4th grade up in the hills of NY.

I don't think it has anything to do with what you used growing up, but it is simply a matter of preference!

I grew up using very slim bics. Then, my first FP was a slim Inoxcrom that I used for years (despite it leaking all over my fingers). After that I used a trusty (and slim) Sonnet for years, posted because I wouldn't be able to use it otherwise. I went through lots of slim pens at the beginning of this FP craze. But then, once I found a M800 and fatter/larger pens, I never looked back - and I don’t like posting (it doesn't matter if the pen posts well, I simply do not like it).

Nowadays, even though I can write with M200/M400s and other slim pens, the ones I always reach for are the large pens I own (think M1000, MB 149, Delta Dolcevita Oversize, etc.). Even the M800 have seen less use.

4 hours ago, DilettanteG said:

@Lam1 +1 for the M100 grown-up Stormtrooper comparison. Almost looks more like a slightly off color version. Reminds me a bit of a generic wall paint off white. I'm still holding out for a M200 Golden Lapis.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that is seeing an off white in this. Maybe the real life colors will actually show grey, but the picture above seems white to me.

I like it! Looks like gritty business to me 😛

I'd buy it if it was an M80070!

[Edit] It's the colorway of the 80s; electronic typewriters, micro-computers and desk calculators! Apple, IBM, Texas Instruments, Olivetti, Radio Shack, Casio, Atari, Commodore and on and on... 💗

Edited by lamarax

3 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

No need for rants or mind changing. Terms like “small” and “large” are relative terms and for comparison lie on opposite sides of the mean. Given that, the 200/400 are “small” pens for the current climate. I don’t have the hard data but I’d guess they’re in the lower 1/3 of modern FP in terms of length, diameter, and weight. That would make them smaller than “normal”. And there are lots of folks that don’t post their pens, so now we’ve added a condition to make them “not small” that some may not like. And also suggests that the pens are indeed “small” and require an extension to make them “normal”. No one said small was bad. My 52-53 Pelikan 400 with EF semi-flex nib is one of the finest pens I own. And I do post it. I don't post my M800 because it’s too “large” and “heavy” (another relative term) posted. I love both pens but one is definitely “small” and one is definitely “large”. If anyone needs a visual I can post a pic of them side by side LOL. That’s the beauty of FP. Something for everyone.

I'd like to see the M670 next to the M605 white pen for comparison.

The M670 looks nice enough, but I'm underwhelmed, especially for the price they'll be asking.

I suspect it will be like the M620 New York from the Cities series ( a.k.a. Cow Pattern ). This looks just white in photographs, but is actually a nice grey. 

image.pngJohn

I don't mind someone saying, I don't like standard sized pens; they are too small for me.

And it does matter when one grew up....standard sized pens like the, Parker Vac, Esterbrook DJ...thinner LJ and SJ....many Wearevers, once the largest pen factory in the world....for us folks that remember B&W TV or listening to the radio at night because the local TV channel was too far away, and we couldn't afford a 25 foot antenna to get the one channel...Miami being a large city, had two television stations. Where I was just before being out behind the boonies in Texas, in the mid '50's.

Large pens were the medium-large/large P-51 depending I think if with a barrel cap button or not, and the thin Snorkel that I only found out was a Large pen some couple years ago when it got laid by a Safari....thin kept it out of being large...at least to me. Once Back in The Day we were a one fountain pen family; with a Snorkel.

There medium-small pens like the Geha 760, Osmia 62, or Kaweco Dia, very popular in Germany in the '50-60's....They are just above small.

The medium small Pelikan 140, because of it's longer cap, posts as long as a 400; balances as well too.

I do have a couple....small....pens.

A cracked ice Rusewe (Austrian.) The ball point is old style normal size for a BP.iyftakH.jpg

A no name(Rainbo) finger squeeze sac 'small pen' between a '50's English made Parker jr. Doufold...semi-flex.

And the 200 Ruby...slightly glittered pen.Q4r84Ou.jpg

for me a 600 posted is a decent daily carry (although i prefer to carry a 405 which has a springier nib) with 805s at home. so when i saw this announcement, i thought, "here goes my money again, can't they just stop making good looking specials for a bit!!".

but then i realised, i haven't had a great experience with PVD coated nibs on average. nibs from Jowo, one GvFC Tamitio and a couple of Faber Castell and some Lamy steel nibs, writing with many just didn't feel normal. Sometimes squeeky sometimes dry. i've been better off taking the coating off the tipping. is that something others face as well ? if yes, i doubt i want to go for a PVD coated gold nib at a the cost of a kidney.

This kinda does it for me, so I think I'll be seeing if I can swing one. Very nice aesthetic to my eyes. 

@metalhead I find the M4xx posted to be a nicely balanced pen as well. I prefer the M6xx and M8xx unposted (especially the later).

Regardless, I’m in the fence regarding this one, as it looks white on the pics. As others have pointed out, perhaps the images circulating the web don’t do it justice, and it’s indeed (warm) gray. And speaking of gray, why not reintroduce the M8xx in solid, primer gray, like the one they had back in the 80s.