EFNIR: Diamine Wild Strawberry

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Diamine Wild Strawberry

This is review #297 in my series. Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: This is a nice bright red. It darkens a little as it dries.  As the remnants washed down the sink, I saw both pink and orange - which seems unusual.  Overall, the ink sort of reminds me of a strawberry - when wet, like the inside (paler); when dry, like the outside (darker).

Squeaks are poor Smoke being denied access to Meowmy.  Bangs, thumps and crashes are Smoke and Klaw protesting Meowmy's unapproved behavior.

Cleaning was quick and easy.

Zoomed in photo (Color is a little too orange.)
large.DiamineWildStrawberryZ.jpg.ecae65e12eb67ec51ffb9e17fdd4300b.jpg

Screenshot (Text is only slightly too dark, otherwise close.)
large.DiamineWildStrawberry.jpg.8fd13699dd66125d46ccce530c86b30a.jpg

Scan of Completed Review (Close, but it seems to lean a little pink.)
large.DiamineWildStrawberryS.jpg.f856b68e8595766f5b7597d394d43486.jpg

Absorbent Paper Close-up (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper) (AP: too light; CP: too light, too orange.)
large.DiamineWildStrawberryAP.jpg.9f1e7b3deb0ae3b89e6ceff8fedb23d2.jpg

Line width (The "I" in "Ink:". Magnification is 100x. The grid is 100x100µm. The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each. The line width for this ink is roughly 301µm. With 297 inks measured, the average line width is 297µm.) (You can see the gold sheen a little.)
large.DiamineWildStrawberryLW.jpg.58313cc24895d145a8ff1f122fe87529.jpg

Microscope image (100x. Makhabesh has been busy throwing fireballs! (I see faces in two of those fireballs.))
large.DiamineWildStrawberrySmear.jpg.17a965b20314aadd0e7e8209d831af4e.jpg

Previous Review: Sailor Manyo Nadeshiko.

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

View a list of my inks, complete with review results in a google sheet.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh? Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• lapis

• Sailor Kenshin

• Lithium466

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear.

You have caught on film the evil fungus infecting my once-beautiful tomatoes.

That said, Wild Strawberry is an eye-popping ink, and with sheen?  And fast dry time?  Woot.  I am sore tempted.  But if I get any… does it mean that every cat in the neighorhood will be outside, clamoring for 'in?'

Once again, @LizEF, you've brightened my Second Monday with your fabulous story and ink reviews.  Thanks a million! 

But is the not-High-Wizard prevaricating, or merely confused (which is my current state).

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

22 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Oh dear.

You have caught on film the evil fungus infecting my once-beautiful tomatoes.

Alas, poor tomatoes.

24 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

That said, Wild Strawberry is an eye-popping ink, and with sheen?  And fast dry time?  Woot.  I am sore tempted.  But if I get any… does it mean that every cat in the neighorhood will be outside, clamoring for 'in?'

:D It is a really nice ink.  If the neighborhood cats don't come over to play, you're still better off, cuz you have a cool ink.  If they do come to play, you're doubly better off cuz now you have a cool ink and more cats! :D   Seems like a no-brainer to me. ;)

25 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Once again, @LizEF, you've brightened my Second Monday with your fabulous story and ink reviews.  Thanks a million! 

:) Thank you!  So glad to brighten your day.

26 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

But is the not-High-Wizard prevaricating, or merely confused (which is my current state).

:D Tune in next week...

Thank you for your Tuesday-brightening review! While I'm sad to see you stray away from your favourite colour (like last week's review), I'm happy to see that bright red reviewed :)

Thanks and that's something I've been looking forward to (and also something which you recently said you'd offer too). Too, as re it's comparison with D's Poppy Red. What are your observations/feelings here?

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thanks for such a lovely review @LizEF. :thumbup:thumb I have to admit, the colour looks very nice on the screen. It also reminds me of the Bergman's movies, hence my  affection for the name. 

Loved the squeaky sound effects and intriguing story line. 

Looking forward to Tuesday magic 🙏  🙏  🙏

51 minutes ago, Lithium466 said:

Thank you for your Tuesday-brightening review!

:) You're most welcome!

While I'm sad to see you stray away from your favourite colour (like last week's review), ...

:lticaptd:

... I'm happy to see that bright red reviewed :)

:D  I really like this red - thank you! ;)  One day, if I ever decide I need some more ink, I may buy a bottle - a little one.

13 minutes ago, lapis said:

Thanks and that's something I've been looking forward to...

:) You're very welcome!

13 minutes ago, lapis said:

(and also something which you recently said you'd offer too).

:unsure:  Apparently I promptly forgot whatever I said...

14 minutes ago, lapis said:

Too, as re it's comparison with D's Poppy Red. What are your observations/feelings here?

I don't have Diamine Poppy Red, so I have no observations at all about the comparison.  My memory says I really enjoyed this ink.

PS: I just noticed that the line width average matches the number of reviews completed.  Go figure! :D

11 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Thanks for such a lovely review @LizEF. :thumbup:

:) You're very welcome!

12 minutes ago, yazeh said:

I have to admit, the colour looks very nice on the screen.

It's a very likeable color, and rather complex, I suspect, with orange and pink underneath.  Probably should have done a chroma...

13 minutes ago, yazeh said:

It also reminds me of the Bergman's movies, hence my  affection for the name. 

No memory of said movies...  But enjoyable, I'm sure.

13 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Loved the squeaky sound effects and intriguing story line.

Looking forward to Tuesday magic 🙏  🙏  🙏

:D Thanks!  Life's never boring with kitties.

13 minutes ago, LizEF said:

:unsure:  Apparently I promptly forgot whatever I said...

I don't have Diamine Poppy Red, so I have no observations at all about the comparison.  My memory says I really enjoyed this ink.

Hmm... I could have sworn that you did  say that, but I forget where. Oh well....

I have both, love both, and use both equally. For years.

35 minutes ago, lapis said:

Hmm... I could have sworn that you did  say that, but I forget where. Oh well....

I have both, love both, and use both equally. For years.

Maybe something about Montblanc Corn Poppy Red?  I did test that quite a while ago...  I tried the search engine and couldn't find anywhere else where I used the phrase "diamine poppy red". :(  Someone else, perhaps?

I'm sure it was you. But I can't find anything along that line. If I ever do, I'll drop back, 'kay?

36 minutes ago, lapis said:

I'm sure it was you. But I can't find anything along that line. If I ever do, I'll drop back, 'kay?

K! :D

Wild strawberry is an excellent ink indeed. Just a hint of orange and no pink!

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Thank you so much, @LizEF for recording an ink review within the danger zone of beasts of prey! ;) 

A Wednesday starting with such an excellent combination of ink review, magical story and inspiring microscopy image (how had you arranged those dots?, compare with this site or with this site) can only develop into a great day! :thumbup:

However, from all that I do not feel confused ... 🤔 :) :lol:

This ink is definitely one to set on the shopping list, despite my stash of red inks being way bigger than it is good for me. :rolleyes:

One life!

7 hours ago, InesF said:

Thank you so much, @LizEF for recording an ink review within the danger zone of beasts of prey! ;) 

:lol: You're most welcome!

7 hours ago, InesF said:

A Wednesday starting with such an excellent combination of ink review, magical story and inspiring microscopy image (how had you arranged those dots?, compare with this site or with this site) can only develop into a great day! :thumbup:

:)  Very cool arrangements.  I'm not sure what pattern Makhabesh was trying to make, but I imagine it's a little harder to arrange fireballs than it is to arrange diatoms).

7 hours ago, InesF said:

This ink is definitely one to set on the shopping list, despite my stash of red inks being way bigger than it is good for me. :rolleyes:

:D  Console yourself that it's a Diamine ink, therefore affordable and available in a 30mL bottle - a small indulgence...