Hundred Year Pen Identification

Lexan

Came across this Waterman Hundred Year pen.  At least I know the barrel is a Hundred Year given the labeling on the nib.

I'm not sure about the cap however.  It doesn't seem to match what I expect, which is just what I see from Richard Binder's reference pages.

Do we think the cap is original?

Is it from the first year of production given the conical end?

Thanks!    And apologies for the amateurish photography.

24-08-05 06-57-48 2296.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lexan

• joss

• shalitha33

• Paul-in-SF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have three 100-year pens, the one closest to yours has the translucent tail on the barrel (but rounder than yours) and no trim ring on the barrel. The clip on mine looks the same, and the cap ring is wider. If there is a translucent tail on the barrel, I think there should also be a small translucent part immediately under the thing at the top of the cap that holds the clip. I can't see that area of your pen well enough to tell if it has one. 

I guess the real tell is that, on all three of my pens, the cap has "HUNDRED YEAR PEN" as part of the engraving on the back of the cap, opposite the clip. This is in addition to the barrel engraving. 

I am not very familiar with the different versions of the 100-year pen but that cap looks odd indeed. The cap must be late 1940s because the Waterman clip with the vertical grooves on the top of the clip was introduced in the last quarter of 1948.

Is there an original Waterman imprint on the barrel itself? Can you show a picture of the lever?

I'm no waterman expert so likely to be wrong:(.

Barrel is probably 1940-41?  100 year pen (standard size, no second ring on the barrel). Barrel end is very likely restored / replacement. These barrels discolor and flake away from the end so its very common to see restored barrel ends. this is using the 1939 design , cap can be a shortened commando cap or something from a 50x / Wx pen ? 

again, I'm no expert and therefore very likely is very wrong

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I can find no other "hundred year" markings on the barrel or the cap.  Only on the nib itself.  Furthermore I don't see any other translucent parts near the top of the cap.  The cap does seem like a Commando except I would expect dual, thin cap bands.  It also does not seem to fit as well as expected.

I'm helping a friend clear out his parent's old home and this would appear to be his great uncle's everyday pen, engraved with his name.

Attached are followup pictures of the cap, barrel end, nib and lever.  Unfortunately my photography has not improved.

Thanks again everyone!

24-08-08 04-12-40 2331.jpg

24-08-08 04-02-23 2319.jpg

24-08-08 04-04-55 2325.jpg

24-08-08 04-18-56 2333.jpg

24-08-08 04-01-30 2317.jpg