Best idiot proof dip pen nib

Rexluna

Hi, I need to use legally permanent ink on documents, and must share my pen with people who have never used a fountain pen. 

While I could use an ISO rated ball point, I would prefer to use a dip pen and registrars ink as I feel that brings more "show to the party". 

What dip pen nibs are robust and idiot proof enough for this purpose? I have seen adverts for kakimori nibs, might one of those work? Or might there be a better solution? 

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron Z

• AAAndrew

• PPPR

• Rexluna

Top Posters In This Topic

As usual, my suggestions are for vintage items. "Dip-less" style pens would be ideal for this purpose.

Esterbrook, Sengbusch, Morriset, Gregory's Fount-O-Ink, and Sheaffer, among many others manufactured dip pens with nibs similar to fountain pens instead of standard, untipped, dip pens. Many of these were very stiff nibs, which should withstand ham-handed ballpoint users. Material, whether stainless steel or gold plated, shouldn't be of concern.

HTH

I agree - the  Esterbrook dip-less would be ideal.  You can have a nice smooth nib, and one dip would allow you to sign at least once.  A 9000 series nib would be more corrosion resistant too.  Some of the old steel nibs are awfully toothy, and could snag on the paper.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

As a huge advocate for dip pens, I have to agree with those above. An Esterbrook Dip-less would be the right solution. It will stand up to newbies quite well, the nib can be easily replaced with another renewpoint, and you can rinse and dry it after use, but it will hold quite enough ink. Unless you're using it multiple times every day, I would just go with a pen only, and a normal jar of ink. In other words, I wouldn't worry about a dipless ink well, like my beloved 444s. They will dry out and are made for regular use. If you ARE using it daily, then I'd restore one of the 444 ink wells. They're simple in design, easy to get working, and hold a ton of ink. 

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

• 1 month later...

Some years ago I had to register a death. This was before UK registrars went digital and records were hand-written into ledgers or onto forms. The registrars used, not surprisingly, Registrars' Ink and I was handed a mid-range Parker pen to use. 

However, I am of the generation that was required to use fountain pens at school and so that presented no difficulties. 

Whether the change to digital record keeping was driven by the cost of replacing nibs ruined by people who can't use a proper pen I can't say 😉, but those hand-written records have proven extremely durable over many centuries.