Pens that ruined it for you

The_Beginner

Three Italian pen manufactures sold pens in celluloid and now all that remains are the nibs and other parts of the pistons.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Format

• Bo Bo Olson

• LukeSkyliner

• The_Beginner

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, LukeSkyliner said:

On the Sonnets - just like 75s, they write very dry.  I’ve had great luck dunking the section and nib assembly in the Ultrasonic for a few minutes with a mild surfactant.  

Somebody told me Parker made quick drying inks and dry writing pens to help southpaws avoid schmeers on the hand.

I tried everything with my Sonnets, from plugging holes to White Lightning; they always ended up with starting problems and at the end, burping ink. 

My three 75 on the other hand just needed a very thorough cleaning, changing a failing converter and keeping in a waterproof case, zero problems since then.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

57 minutes ago, senzen said:

I tried everything with my Sonnets, from plugging holes to White Lightning; they always ended up with starting problems and at the end, burping ink. 

My three 75 on the other hand just needed a very thorough cleaning, changing a failing converter and keeping in a waterproof case, zero problems since then.

Similar results for myself, Parker UK themselves said that they had put all their cumulative knowledge into the design and making of the 75 and IMHO it is up there with the best of the best.

11 minutes ago, Format said:

Similar results for myself, Parker UK themselves said that they had put all their cumulative knowledge into the design and making of the 75 and IMHO it is up there with the best of the best.

I too find the Parker 75 to be one of my favourite pens. I would even describe it as Parker’s last truly ‘great’ pen (although I’ve never tried a modern Duofold).

I can, though, still level a couple of criticisms at its execution.

Full disclosure:
I am a curmudgeonly old misanthrope, whose only pleasure in Life®️is kvetching about trivial perceived annoyances 😉

large.Mercia45x27IMG_2024-09-18-104147.PNG.4f96e7299640f06f63e43a2096e76b6e.PNG  Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.  spacer.png

7 minutes ago, Mercian said:

Full disclosure:
I am a curmudgeonly old misanthrope, whose only pleasure in Life®️is kvetching about trivial perceived annoyances 😉

It is huge club, I am a founder member, although you are one step ahead of me with being able to drop the r c and i from your name

😄

6 minutes ago, Format said:

It is huge club, I am a founder member, although you are one step ahead of me with being able to drop the r c and i from your name

😄

:D

large.Mercia45x27IMG_2024-09-18-104147.PNG.4f96e7299640f06f63e43a2096e76b6e.PNG  Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.  spacer.png

2 hours ago, senzen said:

my Sonnets, .......they always ended up with starting problems and at the end, burping ink. 

I bought  my P-75 in @ 1971, and never had a problem with it....having know how to fill it, tossed the box with it and the MP/BP little brother. Some 45 years later I discovered there were twp cartridges on the underside of that box. The P-75...was a triple hitter, a squeeze converter, cartridge and a normal since bought converter. Never had a problem.

15 years ago, all I ever read about the Sonnet was problems....it certainly prevented me from being so foolish to buy the P-75 2.66 1/3 Sonnet. It wasn't good enough to be 2.0.

Obviously the bookkeeper found he could save 2 cents, bu not using the P-75 section and feed that worked.

That is what happens when a fountain pen company is run by a ball point/roller ball user....By that company that bought Rubber Maid; Waterman and Parker. Don't remember it's name....don't want to.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Im gonna add visconti homosapiens the pen in all rights is amazing BUT THAT NIB MY GOD ITS EVIL

As i see it you are never an expert just a beginner learning a new trick!

W. Carene, otherwise such a soulful (and yet avant garde) design, beautiful nib. and then the cap lets air in and the nib dries out overnight. Saved for months to buy one, hated it from the 2nd day on. Still hate it, but love it as well when it works.

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2024 at 6:31 PM, lamarax said:

For me it's OMAS .....
.....You may have heard of the troubles with OMAS celluloids crystalizing and crumbling. Well, it's no better with 'cotton resin': it will shrink over time, leaving the slip cap useless as it won't seal the nib at all. No matter which ink I put in there, it will completely evaporate in just a couple of days. ......

Moreover, the 'HT' trim on all OMAS models will be brassing just by looking at it funny.

Oh thankyou for this--I had an OMAS on my list (Paragon Blue Lucen w/Blck trim) --for well over 800 bucks--I think I will have to pass on it now if the 

two maladies you mention are the norm.

Omas made some very nice pens.  Many later Omas pens have issues with celluloid decay. and parts generally aren't available.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.