EFNIR: Sailor Manyo Nadeshiko

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Sailor Manyo Nadeshiko

This is review #296 in my series. Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: This is a pastel royal blue.  On the right paper, with a large enough nib, it will show some pink in with the blue. I rated shading at medium, but it can be higher, on more cooperative paper.  Cleaning was quick and easy.

Bangs and crashes in the background are my kitties playing...

Erratum? Experts can't decide whether I should have used "impostor" instead of "imposter"...

Zoomed in photo (This is fairly close to what my eyes see.)
large.SailorNadeshikoZ.jpg.b38f8bda2503aa45dea8a8218e5aa82e.jpg

Screenshot (Makes the ink look chalky and maybe a little too dark.)
large.SailorNadeshiko.jpg.28e7ca27002bd3be4395aca50515a40f.jpg

Scan of Completed Review (This looks the most accurate to me, though too saturated on another screen.)
large.SailorNadeshikoS.jpg.363ae3c29fc6c1258191f30d39834c52.jpg

Absorbent Paper Close-up (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper) (Both are far too blotchy. On copy paper, it's a solid, sort of chalky version of the palest color in the image. The top (absorbent) paper shows the ink a little too dark and saturated.)
large.SailorNadeshikoAP.jpg.a02905e2cbd73527ad74990a491c0c4e.jpg

Line width (The "I" in "Ink:". Magnification is 100x. The grid is 100x100µm. The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each. The line width for this ink is roughly 300µm. With 296 inks measured, the average line width is 297µm.) (I could see hints of pink under the microscope, but the camera didn't capture them.)
large.SailorNadeshikoLW.jpg.97b9d031ecf931afcd0f90d2220936fc.jpg

Microscope image (400x. The colors are wrong - it was much paler - but you can see lots of interesting texture in this spot. (Most of the slide was dullsville, but these formed sometimes.))
large.SailorNadeshikoSmear.jpg.6bbdcb953b0a9e46ce7c646ac62534f6.jpg

Previous Review: Noodler's General of the Armies.

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

View a list of my inks, complete with review results in a google sheet.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh? Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

All responses to letters will be delayed. Today, hopefully, I'll be starting the final book of Robin Hobb's liveship trilogy and anticipate I will be unable to do anything but read (and do ink reviews) until I'm done. ;)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• yazeh

• Sailor Kenshin

• lapis

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! Your "Pastel Royal" is good an I can't improve on anything but  my first feelings included "Hydrangea" which has exactly that very light "gentle, mild" lilac-ness I see when I look out of the window into our garden!

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Just now, lapis said:

Nice! Your "Pastel Royal" is good an I can't improve on anything but  my first feelings included "Hydrangea" which has exactly that very light "gentle, mild" lilac-ness I see when I look out of the window into our garden!

:) Thanks, @lapis!  And yes, it's very similar to the other "hydrangea" colors I've reviewed.

All responses to letters will be delayed. Today, hopefully, I'll be starting the final book of Robin Hobb's liveship trilogy and anticipate I will be unable to do anything but read (and do ink reviews) until I'm done. ;)

@LizEF thanks for a fun Tuesday treat :thumbup:  of your favorite colour,  washed out ball point :D 

There seems to be so many pastel blues. I find them boring for writing, but interesting to do washes. And I'm sure that pink will come out with a bit water on a the right paper :)

I see the plot is thickening with the fake High Wizard/librarian and interrogation by big brother Wiz ;) 

I wonder why it's big brother, why not Big SIs :D 

Glad the cats brought a nice soundtrack to the foray :)

Looking forward to the next instalment 🙏

4 minutes ago, yazeh said:

@LizEF thanks for a fun Tuesday treat :thumbup:  of your favorite colour,  washed out ball point :D 

:D You're most welcome, @yazeh!  It was a week of feeling like I was @namrehsnoom's sister, sharing that family love of pale colors... ;)

6 minutes ago, yazeh said:

There seems to be so many pastel blues. I find them boring for writing, but interesting to do washes. And I'm sure that pink will come out with a bit water on a the right paper :)

(Back to reality...)  Yeah, me too (boring).  I can imagine the washes or artwork would be lovely, but I don't have the patience or natural talent to learn how to make it.  I rely on the rest of you for that! ;)  If I use the rest of this ink (as opposed to giving it away), I'll put it in a wet pen with a large nib.

7 minutes ago, yazeh said:

I see the plot is thickening with the fake High Wizard/librarian and interrogation by big brother Wiz ;) 

:D

8 minutes ago, yazeh said:

I wonder why it's big brother, why not Big SIs :D 

Perhaps because you didn't grow up in the Soviet Union.  Big Sis isn't sufficiently intimidating.

9 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Glad the cats brought a nice soundtrack to the foray :)

They're most uncooperative. :sm_cat:  I want to record my reviews in the morning, because I have to turn off the AC to do them (it's ridiculous how loud it sounds when recording, and the lights heat the room fast), but the kitties are awake and crying for attention until after lunch...  And, as you well know, even if they're asleep, the minute I close that door, they want in... :rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Looking forward to the next instalment 🙏

:) Thanks!

Uwaaa!  Kireiii!  A paradise plant with a bird just landing!  And a possible face turn by an imposter?  I'm at the edge of my seat.

This may be a first: I have, or had, ALL your comparison inks.  Though none of them had a pink component that I recall.  And they did not inspire kittehs to rampage.

I don't know if I'd buy Nadeshiko, but it makes a nice chroma, micro, and story.  Thanks for the Tuesday Treat, @LizEF, and keep 'em flying.  🌟 🎉 😸

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

3 hours ago, LizEF said:

It was a week of feeling like I was @namrehsnoom's sister, sharing that family love of pale colors... ;)

Not Big Sister :D 

3 hours ago, LizEF said:

(Back to reality...)  Yeah, me too (boring).  I can imagine the washes or artwork would be lovely, but I don't have the patience or natural talent to learn how to make it.

By a water brush and you'll be amazed. It's the best investment I've ever made. If I had the patience to make a video, I would have done, so, to teach people to discover a world of inky possibilities ;) 

3 hours ago, LizEF said:

I rely on the rest of you for that! ;)  If I use the rest of this ink (as opposed to giving it away), I'll put it in a wet pen with a large nib.

Or down the drain ;) 

3 hours ago, LizEF said:

Perhaps because you didn't grow up in the Soviet Union.  Big Sis isn't sufficiently intimidating.

:( 

3 hours ago, LizEF said:

They're most uncooperative. :sm_cat:  I want to record my reviews in the morning, because I have to turn off the AC to do them (it's ridiculous how loud it sounds when recording, and the lights heat the room fast), but the kitties are awake and crying for attention until after lunch...  And, as you well know, even if they're asleep, the minute I close that door, they want in... :rolleyes:

You can confine/beam them in a room/basement/Northpole/ the desert for the duration of the video. Or you can put a vacuum cleaner close by :D 

1 hour ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Uwaaa!  Kireiii!  A paradise plant with a bird just landing!  And a possible face turn by an imposter?  I'm at the edge of my seat.

:lol:

This may be a first: I have, or had, ALL your comparison inks.  Though none of them had a pink component that I recall.  And they did not inspire kittehs to rampage.

:) It's a popular color, it seems!  Perhaps different kitties are sparked by different inks.  I suppose it's possible the ink had nothing to do with it, but let's keep pretending it did. ;)

I don't know if I'd buy Nadeshiko, but it makes a nice chroma, micro, and story.  Thanks for the Tuesday Treat, @LizEF, and keep 'em flying.  🌟 🎉 😸

:) You're very welcome!

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

Not Big Sister :D 

:lticaptd:No.

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

By a water brush and you'll be amazed. It's the best investment I've ever made. If I had the patience to make a video, I would have done, so, to teach people to discover a world of inky possibilities ;) 

I have three water brushes - in varying sizes. :) I've used them and watercolor pencils (Derwent Inktense) to color stamps.  I prefer to use the waterbrush to pick up the color off the tip of the pencil and then paint rather than using the waterbrush to wet the pencil already on the page.

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

Or down the drain ;) 

No, can't bring myself to dump ink down the drain.  If nothing else, I'll find someone to send / give it to.

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

You can confine/beam them in a room/basement/Northpole/ the desert for the duration of the video. Or you can put a vacuum cleaner close by :D 

:lticaptd:They're only afraid of the vacuum cleaner if it's running.  Otherwise, they're not at all bothered by them - in fact, they try to use the big vacuum (the one with AC power, not battery) as a scratching post (it's an Oreck, with a cloth bag into which the disposable collection bag goes).  I can't keep them from clawing that cloth bag, so that vacuum lives in a closet.

Anywho, it seems most folk aren't bothered by the bizarre ambient noises in my videos... :)

On 7/30/2024 at 3:35 PM, LizEF said:

I have three water brushes - in varying sizes. :) I've used them and watercolor pencils (Derwent Inktense) to color stamps.  I prefer to use the waterbrush to pick up the color off the tip of the pencil and then paint rather than using the waterbrush to wet the pencil already on the page.

Makes sense :) 

No, can't bring myself to dump ink down the drain.  If nothing else, I'll find someone to send / give it to.

I understand that feeling :) 

:lticaptd:They're only afraid of the vacuum cleaner if it's running.  Otherwise, they're not at all bothered by them - in fact, they try to use the big vacuum (the one with AC power, not battery) as a scratching post (it's an Oreck, with a cloth bag into which the disposable collection bag goes).  I can't keep them from clawing that cloth bag, so that vacuum lives in a closet.

Anywho, it seems most folk aren't bothered by the bizarre ambient noises in my videos... :)

Yeah, I normally move the vacuum cleaner or wave the leave blower, it has some short time effect ;) 

Ghosts creating snow flakes

... at microscopic level.

Finding out how this world really works is always a win 😇 - in contrast to what scientists claim. 🤷‍♀️;) 

While my excitement for the pale blue ink is limited, I'm still caught by the story. However, I missed some episodes and will stop typing now to catch up ...

One life!

7 hours ago, InesF said:

Ghosts creating snow flakes

... at microscopic level.

:wub:  Now I see it!  You and @Sailor Kenshin are really good at this!

7 hours ago, InesF said:

Finding out how this world really works is always a win 😇 - in contrast to what scientists claim. 🤷‍♀️;) 

:lol:

7 hours ago, InesF said:

While my excitement for the pale blue ink is limited, I'm still caught by the story. However, I missed some episodes and will stop typing now to catch up ...

:thumbup: