Semantics

Tommaso Santojanni

Thank you, Format. I will look into her website. 

It may also help for another quest: an online interactive penmanship course for my 9 year old daughter

Thank you. Tommaso

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tommaso Santojanni

• Format

• dms525

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Ciao, Tommaso,

There once (in the 1990s) was a little old lady somewhere in the USA who was interested in how children wrote and how they were taught to write...

Unfortunately, she seems to have become heavy commercialized since then and now she charges a lot of money for advice.

But still, you and your daughter might find something of use here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query="Kate+Gladstone"+handwriting

Cordiali Saluti,
Claes a Lund, Svezia

Speaking of handwriting of children. 

There used to be a headteacher in the East End of London at a time when this area was notorious for crime and a poor standard of living, this was the 1960s,  The headteacher believed that an organised mind in terms of handwriting could lead to other forms of academic success. she organised handwriting classes and bought fountain pens for her children, there was no budget for pens so she paid for them herself. English was a second language for most of the children.

The school taught 11 to 16 year olds.

The proportion of her students going for higher education and universities was significantly higher than all other schools in her area.

1 hour ago, Tommaso Santojanni said:

Thank you, Format. I will look into her website. 

It may also help for another quest: an online interactive penmanship course for my 9 year old daughter

Thank you. Tommaso

Another resource for improving handwriting is the approach of Barbara Getty and Inga Dubay. You can purchase their instructional manuals, but I believe they have free materials also. Here is their web site: handwritingsuccess.com

FYI, both Getty and Dubay were students of Lloyd Reynolds from whom I also learned at Reed College. Also, one of their specialties was workshops for physicians who wanted to write legibly again. (Medical school is destructive of good handwriting because of the need for excessively fast note taking. This may be changing if students are taking notes on electronic devices now. I wonder ...)

Happy writing!

David

Posted (edited)

Thank you, David. I'll have a look and I'm sure that we can benefit from it. Currently we're following Barbara Nicol's system.

Edit - their system is based on Italic-cursive, while we're considering a type that will be more pleasing to the eye.

But thank you for recommending it.

Edited by Tommaso Santojanni