Montegrappa Classica in Turquoise Celluloid

Vermonter

Hello Friends.

I got lucky and picked up a beautiful Montegrappa Classica in Turquoise. Images attached. 

It writes wonderfully, with a surprisingly flexible nib for a Montegrappa! I'm still cleaning and playing with it.

Does anyone know if the Classica has a captured converter, or can the converter (in image) be unscrewed or otherwise removed and replaced if it breaks? I don't want to mess with it if it's glued in, though this does look like a normal Montegrappa converter (with a metal bit on the end added so you can use the piston know to turn the converter without opening the pen).

Assuming once again that @jar may know, so a mention.

❤️

IMG_1412.jpeg

IMG_1414.jpeg

IMG_1411.jpeg

IMG_1415.jpeg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vermonter

• Cjtamu

• Mr.Rene

• langere

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No idea on the converter question, but beautiful pen. What ink is that? My new to me Montegrappa arrived a few hours ago and I’m trying to decide what ink to use.

It looks like you were able to liberate the converter.  I bet you just need to use a little force to unscrew/pull out the converter.  this is not a captured converter - if it was, you would not be able to separate it from the body.

Erick

Using right now:

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike, Waldmann Tango "F" nib running Pelikan Königsblau

Sheaffer Crest "F" nib running Narwhal Carmel Sea Blue, Sailor Cylint "M" nib running J. Herbin Caroube de Chipre,

Gioia Alleria "F" nib running Colorverse CAT Glistening 

The same doubt.. What ink did you use on written paper?

I love inks with ancient touch!

Regards

Hello @Cjtamu and @Mr.Rene

Thank you for your note. I mix many of my own ink colors now. This ink is my own mixture, it comes out a beautiful brown-orange with yellow undertones.

Here is the recipe:

• 4 parts KWZ El Dorado
  • 1 part KWZ Orange
  • 1 part Taccia Cha Brown (or another similar coffee brown ink)

You can mix up a small amount using an eyedropper, and change the color by adding more or less until you are happy.

Mixing inks is easy. I've found that most regular water-based KWZ inks mix well, as do almost all Sailor & Taccia inks (Sailor makes Taccia ink). The only exception are black inks, which tend to not mix well. I'm not sure why — maybe there is a little oil in the black inks.

:0)

Paul

12 hours ago, langere said:

It looks like you were able to liberate the converter.  I bet you just need to use a little force to unscrew/pull out the converter.  this is not a captured converter - if it was, you would not be able to separate it from the body.

Thanks for your reply! Do you own a Classica? Just to be safe, I'd like to hear this from someone who really knows this specific pen, as it's an old model and don't want to get it wrong and break it!

Hello All. Well, I feel dumb. I just pulled the converter out by mistake filling it. A normal converter with a metal extra bit which is there to look cool.

Question answered. Thank you all!

This pen is really quite lovely to write with. The softest Montegrappa nib I've yet experienced, and a great flow. And no captive converter worries, yay!

image.jpeg

4 hours ago, Vermonter said:

Hello @Cjtamu and @Mr.Rene

Thank you for your note. I mix many of my own ink colors now. This ink is my own mixture, it comes out a beautiful brown-orange with yellow undertones.

Here is the recipe:

• 4 parts KWZ El Dorado
  • 1 part KWZ Orange
  • 1 part Taccia Cha Brown (or another similar coffee brown ink)

You can mix up a small amount using an eyedropper, and change the color by adding more or less until you are happy.

Mixing inks is easy. I've found that most regular water-based KWZ inks mix well, as do almost all Sailor & Taccia inks (Sailor makes Taccia ink). The only exception are black inks, which tend to not mix well. I'm not sure why — maybe there is a little oil in the black inks.

Paul

Thank you. It’s a beautiful color. Have bookmarked this page to try in future. My intern this year brought in a sterling silver Montegrappa that had been his grandfather’s. 1999 date as I recall? Had a wonderfully flexible nib on it and I was surprised. Hope you’re enjoying yours. Montegrappa sure makes beautiful celluloid.