Pen Repair Service

franke

I have a Conway Stewart Burgundy Pen that I believe the ink sac has become hardened, could anyone assist me in finding anConway.thumb.jpg.94244ad745cc88252d4824f77c45be76.jpg Engineer to Overhaul the pen. As the gentleman i normally use has passed. Thank You

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• franke

• Format

• John T

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, franke said:

I have a Conway Stewart Burgundy Pen that I believe the ink sac has become hardened, could anyone assist me in finding anConway.thumb.jpg.94244ad745cc88252d4824f77c45be76.jpg Engineer to Overhaul the pen. As the gentleman i normally use has passed. Thank You

Nice pen, could you give us a general idea of, at the very least, what country you are in? That way we don't suggest anyone you would have to ship overseas to..

As suggested by John T, your home country would help but have you thought about replacing the sac yourself. It is a simple process and there are helpful YouTube guides in addition to companies such as Pendragons who can provide everything you need.

https://vintagepensacsandparts.com/

The only caveat would be that I have known some Conway Stewarts to be difficult to separate needing plenty of treatment from a hair dryer and patience from me.

And as Format says replacing the sac is fairly easy.

But I will add, absolutely positively do NOT use water to do anything with this pen. The pen is most likely made of Casein, which is a plastic made using milk solids and formaldehyde. Water will cause it to swell and soften, and lead to a total loss of the pen. 

John

Firstly I am in the UK I have tried the rocking and gentle pulling of the slip in mount or knib housing but it is solid , so i am a ittle wary not to ruin it.

I have had Conways Stewarts that were very difficult to take apart put perseverance with a hair dryer over many minutes paid off. You need to twist backwards and forwards,  not using a lot of force. If it is difficult to take apart you may find it equally difficult to put back together, it may be the time to seek help.

My favourite repair person has also passed away and as often happens with these things there is a difference of opinion on here on who to use and who to avoid like the plague.