Have you ever seen such Parker box?

aurore

An interesting Parker box. I believe it was made in 50s-60s (quite reminds MB boxes of the era). Have you ever seen such? Any idea where it was made?

FB 456.jpg

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aurore

• Format

• inkstainedruth

• baz666

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@aurore Any sort of imprint on the box?  Or anything on the inside (such as under where a pen would have been placed)?  Because a lot of times you could lift that interior section up and there would be stuff underneath, such as  instructions on filling the pen.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

30 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

@aurore Any sort of imprint on the box?  Or anything on the inside (such as under where a pen would have been placed)?  Because a lot of times you could lift that interior section up and there would be stuff underneath, such as  instructions on filling the pen.

This is how it looks.

P51C.jpg

Preferably EU.

Does the insert (where the loop holding the pen up) come out?  And is the pen the one the box came with?  (The pen looks like it might be a 51 Vacumatic, BTW).

Sorry I can't be of more help.  Other than to possibly contact the guy who does the parkercollector.com website and show him the photos and see if he's got any ideas.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

57 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

Does the insert (where the loop holding the pen up) come out?  And is the pen the one the box came with?  (The pen looks like it might be a 51 Vacumatic, BTW).

Sorry I can't be of more help.  Other than to possibly contact the guy who does the parkercollector.com website and show him the photos and see if he's got any ideas.

Nothing comes out. It is completely different from any other Parker box, yet very similar to MB boxes of the era.

Preferably EU.

large.IMG_4648.jpeg.b644df39786c6cf24389de8f3bbf8596.jpeg  The closest one that I have seen is dated circa 1958 by Heritage Collectibles. It’s the same font, but the box is different and the brand placement is in a different spot.  I would link the page, but somehow those buttons have disappeared from my iPad screen.

•  

Top 5 of 24 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Parker Falcon, Oblation Portland Rain

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

On 7/24/2024 at 9:29 PM, aurore said:

An interesting Parker box. I believe it was made in 50s-60s (quite reminds MB boxes of the era). Have you ever seen such? Any idea where it was made?

FB 456.jpg

I would guess that it is British.
Especially if the pens is also a British one.

I remember my parents owning similar-looking (not Parker) boxes during my childhood - although of course the British boxes that I remember may just have been copies of American boxes, or the boxes may have been made in America and shipped over to Britain to house pens that were made in Newhaven.

E.g. I own a couple of British-made Parkers that came to me with converters that were ‘Made in USA’.

I also know that all Parker 25 pens were made in Newhaven, but the ones sold in the US were sent to Janesville first, to be put into US point-of-sale packaging with US-made cartridges/converters.

That all said, I would expect your box to have a ‘Made in England’ or ‘Made in USA’ moulded somewhere on it; perhaps inside it, underneath the ‘bed’ on which the pen sits.

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

8 hours ago, Mercian said:

I would guess that it is British.
Especially if the pens is also a British one.

I remember my parents owning similar-looking (not Parker) boxes during my childhood - although of course the British boxes that I remember may just have been copies of American boxes, or the boxes may have been made in America and shipped over to Britain to house pens that were made in Newhaven.

E.g. I own a couple of British-made Parkers that came to me with converters that were ‘Made in USA’.

I also know that all Parker 25 pens were made in Newhaven, but the ones sold in the US were sent to Janesville first, to be put into US point-of-sale packaging with US-made cartridges/converters.

That all said, I would expect your box to have a ‘Made in England’ or ‘Made in USA’ moulded somewhere on it; perhaps inside it, underneath the ‘bed’ on which the pen sits.

Thank you very much. 
It is supposed to be British considering the pen (Parker 51) is also a very late 50s or early 60s British P51. In fact I would think both the pen and the box are from 1958/59 when Parker introduced  the halo logo (to the cap) and perhaps the box (also with this logo) was supposed to be a "chic" accompaniment to the "new" pen. 
I have never seen such Parker box, neither in real life, nor in photos. But indeed I have seen them made in the same era by some other brands (such as Montblanc).

Preferably EU.

I have never seen a similar box either. Given that the polka dot black and white boxes were everywhere at this time it makes me wonder why Parker would make what would appear to be a superior box, perhaps for a presentation/special gift?

6 hours ago, Format said:

I have never seen a similar box either. Given that the polka dot black and white boxes were everywhere at this time it makes me wonder why Parker would make what would appear to be a superior box, perhaps for a presentation/special gift?

These have been exactly my thoughts. Whatever Parker had done (the British one in particular), fancy presentation boxes (and this one was fancy for Parker) never appeared.

Preferably EU.

I have seen a similar box, albeit only in pictures. This one appears to be made for the French market.

P45doubleorlamine2.jpg.21204ffcc386ae10148a1ffe82931a07.jpg

P45doubleorlamine1.jpg.fe86c17a23c778c4a37e9603b1072fa8.jpg

For what it is worth: a 1968 Parker catalog from Germany shows a pen box with a similar shape (picture below left). The text mentions that the box is finished in a "crocodile leather effect", so it is not the OP's version of this box, it rather is the box that is shown on the right (picture copied from ebay auction 315002636179, I have removed the hyperlink because it gives a virus warning on my pc).

P1968box.thumb.jpg.0cfab2e7224d72f505571b81b6297293.jpg

Edited by joss
text edit

On 8/1/2024 at 1:21 PM, baz666 said:

I have seen a similar box, albeit only in pictures. This one appears to be made for the French market.

P45doubleorlamine2.jpg.21204ffcc386ae10148a1ffe82931a07.jpg

P45doubleorlamine1.jpg.fe86c17a23c778c4a37e9603b1072fa8.jpg

The colour and shading on that box rings a bell, a dim and distant bell. I think from  around 2013 at London Russell Square.