VP, custom 74, or opus 88?

VacMan

I am a student going into college. I have found myself with summer money and graduation money. Because of this I have decided to treat myself to a pen for studying, classwork, and note taking. My budget is 100 to 200 dollars (200 is pushing it) and was wondering about some good options for a truly high quality experience. The VP, custom 74, and opus 88 are on my radar. The VP has a nice pilot nib and easy clicking, the 74 has a pilot nib and a more standard format, and the opus 88 has a reliable build and jowo nib with its unique filling mechanism that would reduce burping during travel and is also the cheapest. I was wondering if anybody had input on which one they'd reccomend, the pros and cons of each, or even other pen reccomendations for me! I'd be happy to detail my situation more if needed! Thanks!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VacMan

• Keane

• langere

• A Smug Dill

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also have a birthday coming up where I could aquire one of these or any pens in the same price range on top of the one I buy, so if any combinations are recommended I could likely do that as well!

If you can write comfortably with the clip of the Vanishing Point, I'd get it of those 3. 

One of the greater difficulties with a pen in a college setting is that you're moving around a lot, and it'll spend a lot of time moving in and out of backpacks/etc.  Additionally, you'll want to be able to get writing 'quickly'. 

BOTH of which are things the VP specializes in.  The VP gold nib is a very nice nib, so you aren't giving anything up there.  The brass body and durable clip are going to stand up to the abuse of 'life' in a backpack in a way that others will not.  There is no cap to get separated when some classmate sits next to you and spreads his (bleep) out like a hurricane.  AND, the click will work quickly for times when you need to quickly take a note in a hallway as someone reminds you of something you forgot. 

In conclusion, the Vanishing Point is a classy all-around pen that writes fabulously, but durable enough you can treat like a beater.  Perfect for a college setting. SO, if you have a pen hold that isn't bothered by the clip, get this.

As far as a second pen, if it is going to be a gift, you might ask for something elegant. The classic Cigar pens are nice, though don't strike many people's fancy, and look kind of 'basic' to many.  The Custom 74 is a great one, but of other options I might suggest:

Pilot E95S: A really attractive integrated nib-looking pen with a great gold nib that is REALLY elegant looking.  The Burgundy/Creme/Gold ones are just falling out of stock at places.

Lamy 2000: I don't have much experience with them, but everyone I know who owns one seems to love it.

Sailor 1911/Pro Gear/Pro Gear Slim: Depending on preference, these are nice Cigar style pens, and come in a ton of fun color schemes.  Of the cigar pens, these are the most varied.  Nibs are pretty high 'feedback' (typically compared to writing with a pencil)

Pelikan M200/M205: One of the nicer looking piston fillers available.  These typically also have some unique coloring/color schemes, and the Pelikan nib is quite smooth.

Visconti: There are a ton of Viscontis that fit the price range.  I'm not sure much about them, but they are different/classy in their own way.

ADDITIONALLY, I might suggest getting into inks a little!  There is some fun in the variety of it.  You might consider one of the two travel ink-wells if you don't have a 2nd pen as a 'backup' every day.

26 minutes ago, Keane said:

If you can write comfortably with the clip of the Vanishing Point, I'd get it of those 3. 

One of the greater difficulties with a pen in a college setting is that you're moving around a lot, and it'll spend a lot of time moving in and out of backpacks/etc.  Additionally, you'll want to be able to get writing 'quickly'. 

BOTH of which are things the VP specializes in.  The VP gold nib is a very nice nib, so you aren't giving anything up there.  The brass body and durable clip are going to stand up to the abuse of 'life' in a backpack in a way that others will not.  There is no cap to get separated when some classmate sits next to you and spreads his (bleep) out like a hurricane.  AND, the click will work quickly for times when you need to quickly take a note in a hallway as someone reminds you of something you forgot. 

In conclusion, the Vanishing Point is a classy all-around pen that writes fabulously, but durable enough you can treat like a beater.  Perfect for a college setting. SO, if you have a pen hold that isn't bothered by the clip, get this.

As far as a second pen, if it is going to be a gift, you might ask for something elegant. The classic Cigar pens are nice, though don't strike many people's fancy, and look kind of 'basic' to many.  The Custom 74 is a great one, but of other options I might suggest:

Pilot E95S: A really attractive integrated nib-looking pen with a great gold nib that is REALLY elegant looking.  The Burgundy/Creme/Gold ones are just falling out of stock at places.

Lamy 2000: I don't have much experience with them, but everyone I know who owns one seems to love it.

Sailor 1911/Pro Gear/Pro Gear Slim: Depending on preference, these are nice Cigar style pens, and come in a ton of fun color schemes.  Of the cigar pens, these are the most varied.  Nibs are pretty high 'feedback' (typically compared to writing with a pencil)

Pelikan M200/M205: One of the nicer looking piston fillers available.  These typically also have some unique coloring/color schemes, and the Pelikan nib is quite smooth.

Visconti: There are a ton of Viscontis that fit the price range.  I'm not sure much about them, but they are different/classy in their own way.

ADDITIONALLY, I might suggest getting into inks a little!  There is some fun in the variety of it.  You might consider one of the two travel ink-wells if you don't have a 2nd pen as a 'backup' every day.

Thanks! I was kind of leaning toward the VP as I have had the pleasure of writing with it in a store and loved it. I actually have a 2000 and m205! They are both great! I have plenty of vintage pens but I am always hesitant with them in college. I never thought of something like writing a note in the hallway or when someone spreads out their things! Are there any sailors in that price range? I've never tried one and would love to! Where would you reccomend me get one from? I've always loved the look of the e95s but have had trouble committing. I think tje VP might be the one I buy, would you say it is probably the best option for a college setting on the market? That's the consensus I've heard. Would you gloss over the 88 for the others? I am currently attempting to experiment with inks but the traveling inkwells are a good idea and something I'll have to check out! Thanks! You got yourself a follow 😂

I'd definitely say in a college setting, the VP is the best option for a single fountain pen.  Perhaps $200 of disposable fountain pens might serve you better, but nothing special about that!  (I might suggest picking disposable pens up anyway, people ALWAYS need to borrow pens!).

I personally carry a Medium Nib Matte Black VP in my jeans/shorts pockets all the time.  It gets beat up a bunch, but is extremely durable and hasn't so much as burped or complained.  Just don't drop it nib-first while open, and it'll last forever, and look better as it wears/picks up dings/dents/scratches.

My problem with the Custom 74 is that it made me just wish I'd got one of the nicer ones.  I was unimpressed with the Opus 88, and less impressed when I saw the price.  They just did nothing for me.

As far as the Sailors; I'd suggest Amazon.  If you can find one sourced from Amazon Japan, you can get them for what is effectively Japanese prices.  So basically everything except the KOP are between $100 and $200.  There are a few just over (I picked up a Pro Gear Realo for a touch over), but almost all are 1-200.  Here is a 21k Pro Gear: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001G5Z698/ref=twister_B0CP5NNGZ1?_encoding=UTF8&th=1 

The e95 is a fantastic pen, it is beautiful!  A little small for more than 'pocket pen' duties so writing long term with it could be a little uncomfortable, but the MYU/e95 are some of my favorites, both in that form factor.

@Keane gave you great advice.  I never used a fountain pen in college, though now, as a professor, I always have a fountain pen on hand.

An Opus 88 (and keep in mind, there are many, many varieties, in different colors and prices) would be a good fit.  It is because they are less expensive and hold a boatload of ink.  So, you do not have to worry running out of ink (and most have semi-transparent barrels, so you can see how much ink you have left).  I suggest taking a less expensive pen to class, since there is a chance of losing it.  The VP is a great pen, for all of the reasons that @Keane mentioned, but it would be a shame if it were lost.

Hope this helps!

Erick

Using right now:

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike, Waldmann Tango "F" nib running Pelikan Königsblau

Sheaffer Crest "F" nib running Narwhal Carmel Sea Blue, Sailor Cylint "M" nib running J. Herbin Caroube de Chipre,

Gioia Alleria "F" nib running Colorverse CAT Glistening 

4 minutes ago, Keane said:

I'd definitely say in a college setting, the VP is the best option for a single fountain pen.  Perhaps $200 of disposable fountain pens might serve you better, but nothing special about that!  (I might suggest picking disposable pens up anyway, people ALWAYS need to borrow pens!).

I personally carry a Medium Nib Matte Black VP in my jeans/shorts pockets all the time.  It gets beat up a bunch, but is extremely durable and hasn't so much as burped or complained.  Just don't drop it nib-first while open, and it'll last forever, and look better as it wears/picks up dings/dents/scratches.

My problem with the Custom 74 is that it made me just wish I'd got one of the nicer ones.  I was unimpressed with the Opus 88, and less impressed when I saw the price.  They just did nothing for me.

As far as the Sailors; I'd suggest Amazon.  If you can find one sourced from Amazon Japan, you can get them for what is effectively Japanese prices.  So basically everything except the KOP are between $100 and $200.  There are a few just over (I picked up a Pro Gear Realo for a touch over), but almost all are 1-200.  Here is a 21k Pro Gear: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001G5Z698/ref=twister_B0CP5NNGZ1?_encoding=UTF8&th=1 

The e95 is a fantastic pen, it is beautiful!  A little small for more than 'pocket pen' duties so writing long term with it could be a little uncomfortable, but the MYU/e95 are some of my favorites, both in that form factor.

I think I might get the Vanishing Point then (or the Sailor) and ask for the other one. I never knew that ypu could get them that cheap! I may have to get the Sailor asap. Are there a lot of them at that price? Are they authentic? I may wait for another holiday for the e95! I thought the filling mechanism on the 88 was nice but the appearance honestly does little for me either. That point about the 74 makes a ton of sense, thank you!

5 minutes ago, langere said:

@Keane gave you great advice.  I never used a fountain pen in college, though now, as a professor, I always have a fountain pen on hand.

An Opus 88 (and keep in mind, there are many, many varieties, in different colors and prices) would be a good fit.  It is because they are less expensive and hold a boatload of ink.  So, you do not have to worry running out of ink (and most have semi-transparent barrels, so you can see how much ink you have left).  I suggest taking a less expensive pen to class, since there is a chance of losing it.  The VP is a great pen, for all of the reasons that @Keane mentioned, but it would be a shame if it were lost.

Hope this helps!

Erick

Thanks! I have a few "budget" pens that I'd take to class directly like an eco, safari, and metro! I also have a couple varsitys! I'd more use the VP or other pens for when I'm feeling fancy or if it's a smaller class or something like the library! That's a very good point! And it is really cool that you are a professor, what do you teach if you don't mind me asking?

1 minute ago, VacMan said:

I think I might get the Vanishing Point then (or the Sailor) and ask for the other one. I never knew that ypu could get them that cheap! I may have to get the Sailor asap. Are there a lot of them at that price? Are they authentic? I may wait for another holiday for the e95! I thought the filling mechanism on the 88 was nice but the appearance honestly does little for me either. That point about the 74 makes a ton of sense, thank you!

Yep, plenty of them and they are authentic, they are just shipped from Japan with Japanese tags/paperwork/etc.  For some reason, Sailor marks their pens up a TON when bringing them to the US, but Amazon JP (and others on Ebay) will import them for a much smaller markup.

IF ink capacity is a primary concern, I might suggest the Conklin All-American Demo.  I picked up this one at one point on sale: https://www.gouletpens.com/products/conklin-all-american-fountain-pen-demo-special-edition

The nice part is it is a cartridge, converter, OR eye-dropper, and comes with everything you need for each.  The clear is nice for seeing your ink levels.  The pen itself is nicely made, though the generic JoWo nibs are not particularly special.  I treat it as a bit of a beater (it works GREAT even for high shimmer inks!) for oddball inks, but it doesn't find itself inked unless there is something special I want to try.

That said, with all those pens in your bag, I am guessing ink capacity isn't really a concern.

6 minutes ago, Keane said:

Yep, plenty of them and they are authentic, they are just shipped from Japan with Japanese tags/paperwork/etc.  For some reason, Sailor marks their pens up a TON when bringing them to the US, but Amazon JP (and others on Ebay) will import them for a much smaller markup.

IF ink capacity is a primary concern, I might suggest the Conklin All-American Demo.  I picked up this one at one point on sale: https://www.gouletpens.com/products/conklin-all-american-fountain-pen-demo-special-edition

The nice part is it is a cartridge, converter, OR eye-dropper, and comes with everything you need for each.  The clear is nice for seeing your ink levels.  The pen itself is nicely made, though the generic JoWo nibs are not particularly special.  I treat it as a bit of a beater (it works GREAT even for high shimmer inks!) for oddball inks, but it doesn't find itself inked unless there is something special I want to try.

That said, with all those pens in your bag, I am guessing ink capacity isn't really a concern.

No ink capacity isn't too much of a concern! Like you said I have plenty of pens and I want to try more inks so if the pen runs out I'll just have the opportunity to try a new ink. I have a couple pens that if ink capacity is a serious concern then I can use those. I've been eyeing the all American and duragraph deals on goulet for a while now. Hemingway jones did a video about the durugraph as well. I like the facts that conklin is linked to mark twain despite the fact that they aren't really the same brand isn't more as is typically the case.

I have not used Pilot Custom 74 but I have experience with the other two. The Vanishing Point (or the slightly smaller Decimo) is convenient with quick note taking. It does not hold too much ink, but it'll get you through the day no problem. I personally do not like the VP for extended writing sessions, and I would likely go for the 74 for such a use case. So VP for class and 74 for desk work, I would say. I recommend to stay away from Opus 88. The biggest issue for me is that it takes forever to uncap as it has so many threads. This frustrates me even when I work on my desk and am not in a hurry to uncap. The 88 is also quite large, so it might not suit your hand.

Opus 88 is a brand.  There are, I believe, six models, of differing sizes and dimensions.

Add lightness and simplicate.

Where will you keep this pen during the typical college day? How will you carry it? And what kind of paper do you anticipate writing on most often? Cheap notebook paper? Will you be taking lots of mathematical notation (etc) that might require a finer point? 

The wood Capless are quite the pens, my one medium is particularly smooth, I've had no problems holding it and it doesn't dry out quickly: filing has to be done with a syringe. The 74, 91 give you more nib choices but you could get a 912 or 742 for even more options; my one WA 912 Is a very subtle, super smooth pen.

You should also look into Sailor Pro Gear and 1911 (e.g. Black Luster), as well as the Platinum 3776 Century, even if I'm still getting used to all the feedback from the latter in F.

Pilots and Sailors have one disadvantage: small ink capacity (my one con-70 converter leaked).

For the most reliable pens and bigger ink capacity, Pelikan, such as a vintage 400.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

4 hours ago, TSherbs said:

Where will you keep this pen during the typical college day? How will you carry it? And what kind of paper do you anticipate writing on most often? Cheap notebook paper? Will you be taking lots of mathematical notation (etc) that might require a finer point? 

It will be a mix of everything. I will have a case however sometimes carry pens in my pocket. I tend to take care of them even when in my pocket. I will have a few notebooks that are meant for fountain pens but some other ones that are just "for school". I am going into finance so some math will be required but more long hand writing than anything

14 hours ago, VacMan said:

Thanks! I have a few "budget" pens that I'd take to class directly like an eco, safari, and metro! I also have a couple varsitys! I'd more use the VP or other pens for when I'm feeling fancy or if it's a smaller class or something like the library! That's a very good point! And it is really cool that you are a professor, what do you teach if you don't mind me asking?

I teach Latin American History.

Erick

Using right now:

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike, Waldmann Tango "F" nib running Pelikan Königsblau

Sheaffer Crest "F" nib running Narwhal Carmel Sea Blue, Sailor Cylint "M" nib running J. Herbin Caroube de Chipre,

Gioia Alleria "F" nib running Colorverse CAT Glistening 

15 hours ago, eerestis said:

The Vanishing Point (or the slightly smaller Decimo) is convenient with quick note taking. It does not hold too much ink, but it'll get you through the day no problem.

It takes a 'standard' Pilot proprietary-format ink cartridge — as do the pocketable models such as Elite 95S, Prera, etc. — which holds plenty of ink.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

11 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

Opus 88 is a brand.  There are, I believe, six models, of differing sizes and dimensions.

There are more than six, I'm sure. I have five here, and I know I've considered multiple others.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

3 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

It takes a 'standard' Pilot proprietary-format ink cartridge — as do the pocketable models such as Elite 95S, Prera, etc. — which holds plenty of ink.

Agreed, even with the Con-40, the .4ml has been plenty for a day of writing for me so far.

A pilot cartridge can handle .9ml, and the Con-B is more than .6ml. 

It seems that there are plenty of options for a good amount of ink there...

36 minutes ago, Keane said:

A pilot cartridge can handle .9ml, and the Con-B is more than .6ml. 

Just to note that if you'd rather use your own ink the Majohn A1 and A2 pens often come bundled with refillable cartridges that are sealed with a rubber plug.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams