how rare or not is that W 52?

Chris26

Hello, I have been trying to get as much information as possible about the pen, and some new doubts appeared while researching. First, the facts and then the questions (by the way, I did not find the pen in any of the Waterman catalogues). The model is a 52 1/2 18Ct solid gold barleycorn pattern. As it is English hallmarked so we got all the details, FDW, the lion's head (London), the year 1936 "A", the guarantee of purity( the crown) and the carats (18). That pattern appeared for the first time in 1908, in models like 324 or 504 according to the 1908 catalogue, but 14k solid gold. I would like to know why this pattern became so attractive in the UK and lately in France "Grain d'Orge" is called. Then In lately catalogues I haven't seen more this pattern and in any catalogue a 18ct solid gold 52 and a barleycorn pattern until the W C/F for instance. Other doubt why a W 52 English hallmarks in 1936? I got models solid gold hallmarked in France, "The eagle head" from 20s and the 42 overlay 18 K.R made in Italy (but those were overlay and most of them rolled gold, not solid gold as far as I know). Any curiosity or information would be welcome and helpful. Thank you in advance for your answers.

IMG_5298.JPG

IMG_5304.JPG

IMG_5317.JPG

IMG_5364.JPG

IMG_5366.JPG

IMG_5312.JPG

IMG_5306.JPG

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chris26

• Mr.Rene

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, Mr.Rene said:

Wow! What a pen ! Gorgeous ! 👏👏👏

Regards

Thank you! Yes, it is a beautiful pen. I would say one of the best I had With the W 13 Stanhope 35th anniversary.