Parker Blue-Black from blue and black. I call it, very childishly, 'Neel kal'.

T.D. Rabbit

Unsure if this has been posted before, could find no posts directly related

[--------| :)  (It is wearing a very tall hat.)

Had to do this because Parker Blue-Black is unavailable for sale in India (ie not manufactured by luxor), and costs a good amount more than the other two. The good stationer gave me a ratio of 2-3 ml of black per 30 ml of blue. one part to 15 or 1 part to 10. I added 2 ml, then a smidgen (maybe 0 point something ml?) more.

Results are favourable, as parker blue itself does not appeal to me- It gets too light too fast. However, using it ina platinum preppy, it tends to start out extremely dark (Almost black) and then fade down to a colour I like. However, I do not have much experience with inks and cannot definitively say if this is good, only that I do not mind it.

I use it for school notes, and there is no problem- None with the flow, and it is sufficiently blue so as to not get me in trouble.

Edit: Drying time is 6 seconds or so. No bleedthrough, no feathering.

The mix is not very waterproof, expected- Parker quink black (Luxor, at least) is not waterproof at all, and blue isn't too waterproof either.

Pictures are attached. One sample of writing for this post, and another sample of my actual writing from when I was researching the Mayan civilisation. Please do not try to read the latter, my handwriting is horrifying, and so is the content (I focused largely on their rituals. Priests after my own heart and so on.)

image.thumb.png.d3b1a13d3d476829463ab627b9170d29.png

image.thumb.png.dfb0a6d3c5d15c5ce5260cd01ad07690.png

image.thumb.png.c12805bb1750e2bd0d31fca70b80de2d.png

Edited by T.D. Rabbit

Nobody important? Blimey, that's amazing. You know that in nine hundred years of time and space and I've never met anybody who wasn't important before.

-11th Doctor, somewhat coated in soot.

My style of writing varies greatly with mood. I will not sound the same across posts and comments- I am the same person though!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• T.D. Rabbit

• Azulado

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, 'Neel kal' is a play of words in Hindi. 'Neela' means blue, 'Kaala' means black, but 'Kal' also means time period, like an eon sort of thing.
So... Blue-Black period?

Nobody important? Blimey, that's amazing. You know that in nine hundred years of time and space and I've never met anybody who wasn't important before.

My style of writing varies greatly with mood. I will not sound the same across posts and comments- I am the same person though!

It is difficult to know if a mixture of inks can be harmful to a fountain pen. You have to know the formulation to know if the ingredients harmonize. There is a lot of discussion about this in the inks section. 
I think I understand that you made the mixture because the Parker Quink Royal blue ink turns pale as it dries. If this is the case, you have Bril blue. I recently purchased it and it has become one of my favorite inks. It works very well in both fine and coarse dots. It also works on all kinds of paper. 
I only use Parker royal blue washable with broad nibs. It pales too much if there is not enough ink on the paper. 
In any case, if you don't have any problems with the mix and you like it, stick with it. 
A highly recommended blue-black ink is Pelikan 4001. I believe they sell it in India. In Brazil they have several Bril colors, but I haven't seen blue black. I guess they don't make it. 

3 hours ago, Azulado said:

It is difficult to know if a mixture of inks can be harmful to a fountain pen. You have to know the formulation to know if the ingredients harmonize. There is a lot of discussion about this in the inks section. 
I think I understand that you made the mixture because the Parker Quink Royal blue ink turns pale as it dries. If this is the case, you have Bril blue. I recently purchased it and it has become one of my favorite inks. It works very well in both fine and coarse dots. It also works on all kinds of paper. 
I only use Parker royal blue washable with broad nibs. It pales too much if there is not enough ink on the paper. 
In any case, if you don't have any problems with the mix and you like it, stick with it. 
A highly recommended blue-black ink is Pelikan 4001. I believe they sell it in India. In Brazil they have several Bril colors, but I haven't seen blue black. I guess they don't make it. 

Huh, okay, I'll be sure to try Bril- I've been trying to find it in shops around here, actually, but most stock only parker and camlin. 

The mix is working fine and dandy, I've had no problems using it in a platinum preppy for more than two, or three, months, and I left the pen alone for maybe two weeks in between- It wrote better after that, or maybe it was just an effect of having used rougher pens for those two weeks.

Pelikan's a tad expensive here, unfortunately, though I'll consider it... After I'm done taking in every characteristic of the waterman I bought recently.