EFNIR: Sheaffer Skrip Green

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Sheaffer Skrip Green

This is review #294 in my series. Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: The repeated cries (high pitch squeaks) at various times throughout this video were Klaw voicing his unhappiness at being locked out of the room. :)

This is not green.  They can call it that, but it isn't.  It's more turquoise or marine blue or something.  The cartridge is green green (see the video), but what's in it is not.  NOTE: The video shows the ink looking much too blue.  The ink color is actually somewhat similar to the color of Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black cartridges (not the ink, the cartridge itself)...

Cleaning was quick and easy.

"I really can't recomment..." should be "...recommend...". :/

Zoomed in photo (Very close to what my eyes see.)
large.SheafferSkripGreenZ.jpg.e469da718695e510708aa6a5c89dab77.jpg

Screenshot (Too blue.)
large.SheafferSkripGreen.jpg.03ad0a47f236ff0322784e0d07a1320f.jpg

Scan of Completed Review (Pretty close.)
large.SheafferSkripGreenS.jpg.7ed7a012356cb0707ca8458734a6ee68.jpg

Absorbent Paper Close-up (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper) (Very close.)
large.SheafferSkripGreenAP.jpg.ff07299454749d11f12f789785ede8fe.jpg

Line width (The "I" in "Ink:". Magnification is 100x. The grid is 100x100µm. The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each. The line width for this ink is roughly 297µm. With 294 inks measured, the average line width is 297µm.)
large.SheafferSkripGreenLW.jpg.0226c105b1e646bcd91cf47c057fc58a.jpg

Microscope image (Color is all wrong. The main color is almost exactly the color of the ink, but I couldn't adjust it. The green isn't as far off from what my eyes see.)
large.SheafferSkripGreenSmear.jpg.b1ccdf5277d6425b49c2bac5d77eb839.jpg

Doodle
large.SheafferSkripGreenDoodle.jpg.2cf6be5f82071c3788d492f279b35869.jpg

Previous Review: PenBBS #234 Garnet.

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

View a list of my inks, complete with review results in a google sheet.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh? Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• yazeh

• InesF

• Penguincollector

I just finished cleaning a No Nonsense with this very cartridge. I call it Skrip Teal. The color of the plastic is tricksy. I find it pretty. I do hope that the new Sheaffer people make ink.  Thank you for your wonderful review and you lovely story. I enjoy reading about our stalwart crew.

One more thing- that NN was an italic fine, and it was a nice experience. I did try it in a fine Parker 75 and that was no good, so we’re in agreement about this ink and finer nibs.

Top 5 of 24 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

17 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

I just finished cleaning a No Nonsense with this very cartridge. I call it Skrip Teal. The color of the plastic is tricksy. I find it pretty. I do hope that the new Sheaffer people make ink.

:) Teal is closer, though it doesn't seem Teal to me.  I don't know what to call it!  But I like it and also hope the new Sheaffer folk make the ink - with the same formulas!

18 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

Thank you for your wonderful review and you lovely story.

You're very welcome!

18 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

I enjoy reading about our stalwart crew.

:D Thank you!

19 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

One more thing- that NN was an italic fine, and it was a nice experience. I did try it in a fine Parker 75 and that was no good, so we’re in agreement about this ink and finer nibs.

:thumbup: Thank you for the confirmation.

It is not green. It is not green! Green ja nai!  

Or so I keep repeating, as I've just loaded this in a TWSBI Eco. It is a pretty, summery color, but Skrip Green isn't green. Nevertheless, I use it often, and concocted a lookalike ('Sailor's InkFisher') from various dregs, for when I run out of Skrip Not Green.

Holy bluey/greenish Lava Lamp, Batman!

Thanks for this review and story, @LizEF. I also love the zentangle. The review was timely!  

PS, @Penguincollector is correct!  😸

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

12 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

It is not green. It is not green! Green ja nai!  

Or so I keep repeating, as I've just loaded this in a TWSBI Eco. It is a pretty, summery color, but Skrip Green isn't green. Nevertheless, I use it often, and concocted a lookalike ('Sailor's InkFisher') from various dregs, for when I run out of Skrip Not Green.

:lol:  You should give us the ingredient list for Sailor's InkFisher! :)  I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like this currently unavailable ink.

13 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Holy bluey/greenish Lava Lamp, Batman!

:lticaptd:I didn't see it until you said this, but yes, you're exactly right - this is straight out of a lava lamp!

13 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Thanks for this review and story, @LizEF. I also love the zentangle. The review was timely!  

:) You're most welcome!  And thank you!

14 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

PS, @Penguincollector is correct!  😸

Indeed!

Thanks for such an interesting ink review @LizEF 👍 

The cartridge and the ink are like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I have to admit, I really like these light teal, turquoise inks, but not enough to buy another bottle 😊

The story is taking interesting twist and turns, enough to get us intrigued👏

Looking forward to another Tuesday full of mystery, Popsicles and cheeseburgers 😁🙏🙏🙏

21 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Thanks for such an interesting ink review @LizEF 👍 

:) You're very welcome!

22 minutes ago, yazeh said:

The cartridge and the ink are like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Indeed.  Makes me wonder what they were thinking...

22 minutes ago, yazeh said:

I have to admit, I really like these light teal, turquoise inks, but not enough to buy another bottle 😊

:D Lucky you - you can't buy a bottle of this!

23 minutes ago, yazeh said:

The story is taking interesting twist and turns, enough to get us intrigued👏

:D

23 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Looking forward to another Tuesday full of mystery, Popsicles and cheeseburgers 😁🙏🙏🙏

:lol:  Thank you!

Not a color for me at ALL, but thanks as usual for the review.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

40 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

Not a color for me at ALL, ...

:D You're in luck!  You can't buy it anywhere! (Well, except maybe as one of 5 different color cartridges in a pack, if Amazon haven't run out.)

41 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

...but thanks as usual for the review.

:) You're most welcome!

Great review @LizEF and I totally agree that naming this turquoise-blue as “green” is just misleading. Not a colour for me though, at least not without firmly greying it down. 
And that zentangle is really cool… it has a nice depth feel to it. 

1 hour ago, namrehsnoom said:

Great review @LizEF 

:) Thanks!

I totally agree that naming this turquoise-blue as “green” is just misleading.

Makes you wonder what they were thinking, right?

Not a colour for me though, at least not without firmly greying it down.

Well, fortunately for you, you can't get any anyway! ;)

And that zentangle is really cool… it has a nice depth feel to it. 

:D Thanks!

Oh wow, I have a vintage Skrip green that is GREEN - this is not green. Thank you for saving us.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

8 minutes ago, amberleadavis said:

Oh wow, I have a vintage Skrip green that is GREEN - this is not green. Thank you for saving us.

:lol:  You're welcome.  Those of us who like this color must live without, alas.

I'm pretty sure I don't have a  green like that.

Some 6-7 years ago...back in my ...Who in the world needs green ink!!!...phase, I got a half a bottle of the unfortunately discontinued green-green 4001 Brilliant green dirt cheap.

It was lively and shaded, and with in a year I bought some 19 green-greenish inks....now up to 23 or so.

Max impressed by Diamine Ultra Green, a green-green max shading ink.

I thought green ink lovers needed to know about Diamine's Ultra Green....going to have to dip R&K's Verdura vs Ultra Green to find out if I have a new green-green ink. The Ultra shades more from my memory.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

2 minutes ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

I'm pretty sure I don't have a  green like that.

:lol: If you did, you probably wouldn't call it green!

2 minutes ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Some 6-7 years ago...back in my ...Who in the world needs green ink!!!...phase, I got a half a bottle of the unfortunately discontinued green-green 4001 Brilliant green dirt cheap.

It was lively and shaded, and with in a year I bought some 19 green-greenish inks....now up to 23 or so.

:lticaptd:A tale as old as fountain pens...

3 minutes ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Max impressed by Diamine Ultra Green, a green-green max shading ink.

I thought green ink lovers needed to know about Diamine's Ultra Green....going to have to dip R&K's Verdura vs Ultra Green to find out if I have a new green-green ink. The Ultra shades more from my memory.

:) Thanks for letting us know!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh! Green?

Oh! Doodle!

Ah! Story! :thumbup:

Thank you, @LizEF, for reviewing this generally nice looking turquoise ink, for the story (which I'm now consuming backwards in the time line) and for posting this non-interpretable microscopy image! Lava Lamp (thanks @Sailor Kenshin) is indeed the closest association.

I love your doodle - what a good use for Sheaffer "Green"! :thumbup:

One life!

6 hours ago, InesF said:

Oh! Green?

Oh! Doodle!

Ah! Story! :thumbup:

:D

6 hours ago, InesF said:

Thank you, @LizEF, for reviewing this generally nice looking turquoise ink, for the story (which I'm now consuming backwards in the time line) and for posting this non-interpretable microscopy image! Lava Lamp (thanks @Sailor Kenshin) is indeed the closest association.

:) You're most welcome!  It has long been known that ink's most powerful magic is it's ability to carry one back in time. ;)

6 hours ago, InesF said:

I love your doodle - what a good use for Sheaffer "Green"! :thumbup:

:) Thank you!  I hope one day I'll get to use Sheaffer "Green" for more stuff.

2 hours ago, LizEF said:

:) You're most welcome!  It has long been known that ink's most powerful magic is it's ability to carry one back in time. ;)

Now makes me wonder what's the snek magic ink :D

45 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Now makes me wonder what's the snek magic ink :D

:D So far, I only know of one magic ink - the one Makhabesh used with the matching magical notebook to pull his mom, et al, to Bicbiro.  But I'm sure there are lots of them (you'll have to wait for review #301 to find out why I'm sure there are lots of them :D ).  Of course, that does bring up the question - if Essri gets his own pen and magical ink, what magical ink would a snek want? 🐍

More seriously, I was referring to writing, which technically doesn't require ink, but either way, it's how / one way we learn about the past - by what they wrote!

This is a case of coming here for the reviewer, @LizEF. Definitely not an ink I'd race to grab. I'd still put this up there as a rare ink, I've never even heard of them making this, only vintage. And from a once-proud and vibrant house of penmakers. So it goes. 

Thanks for the review, and look forward to you next one!