Is this ink ok for fountain pens?

Paul_LZ

I think I have read somewhere that water proof ink, employed in sketching, should not be used with your run of the mill, day to day fountain pens. Is that so?

I am asking because my son filled a new Waterman with this ink and it skips. May this be due to the fact that the ink used is inappropriate?

I am attaching images of the ink bottle.

Dehesa_01052021IMG_3987.jpg

Dehesa_01052021IMG_3988.jpg

Dehesa_01052021IMG_3989.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul_LZ

• lapis

• yazeh

• Lithium466

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This ink is fine to use in fountain pens, but as always not all the inks are a good match with all the pens, and vice versa :)

Right! As it says on the label, this ink is okay for fountain pens. I have them and they are indeed okay. But -- as always -- for all pens and all papers, all inks are still subject to "imperfect" use. I.e., they may in fact skip and/or bleed and/or feather. Just be sure to rinse out your pen(s) with lots of water, possibly with a drop or two of any ol' dishwater detergent after any long-term use or refilling.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I use Marlene and Klara from the same series in fountain pens. I have a Pilot Varsity filled permanently with it. But if the pen is not used regularly the ink flow stops. The best pens for these inks are those which have a good seal and cheap. Like platinum preppy/ plasirs or Kawecos. 

Though with time and experience there are much better options than sketchInks, as they have a sticky quality. if you're looking for other options of  waterproof black ink, let me know :)

@Paul_LZ -- I'll concur with what the others have said: if it says it's fountain pen safe, you should be okay (although admittedly I've never tried any of the R&K "Sketch Inks" line, I have their two iron gall inks, Salix and Scabiosa).  That being said, the ink may require some higher maintenance/flushing (the same way iron gall or shimmer inks might); and it may not behave well in all pens (being too wet or dry, depending on the pen's nib and feed).  As an example, when I got my first Pelikan pen (a 1990s era M400, with a fine nib), I had planned to use it for doing drawing.  The first ink I put in it was Iroshizuku Yama-Guri -- but that ink was way too wet for the pen (Pelikan tunes their nibs to be "wet" because their inks are on the "dry" side).  OTOH, it saved a bottle of Noodler's Walnut (I had originally tried that ink in a pen which was apparently a very dry writer).  And it also does very well with Edelstein Smoky Quartz (which is a very similar color to Yama-guri).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I love that series a lot and have all its bottles. I feel like lotte is more lubricating than some other colors. I use them with my own handcrafted FP eyedropper (big flow) and their cleaning liquid ‘reinger’, but I flush feeders anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the great advice. I really appreciate it, 👍