Stamp size in Britain

Tommaso Santojanni

Where can I buy current legal tender stamps of 2.4 x 2.1 cm size?

My Post Office only carries the new ones, with a bar code, that are too large for my envelopes. I assume that the original size stamps must still exist in Britain...

Apologies if this request for help seems a bit OT, but I fold my letter paper into an envelope of 11.5x16cm (with a seal) and the new stamps are simply too big: I cannot fit the name and address of the recipient!

Thank you in advance for your time and help !!

Tommaso

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tommaso Santojanni

• northlodge

• Mark from Yorkshire

35 minutes ago, Tommaso Santojanni said:

Where can I buy current legal tender stamps of 2.4 x 2.1 cm size?

My Post Office only carries the new ones, with a bar code, that are too large for my envelopes. I assume that the original size stamps must still exist in Britain...

Apologies if this request for help seems a bit OT, but I fold my letter paper into an envelope of 11.5x16cm (with a seal) and the new stamps are simply too big: I cannot fit the name and address of the recipient!

Thank you in advance for your time and help !!

Tommaso

The only Legal stamps in the uk are the barcode ones new Royal Mail changed the rules about 12 months ago. You will need a larger envelope I am afraid. I do agree the Barcode ones are too big and a complete p.i.t.a 

especially when using multiple stamps to get payment right to send overseas

Mark from the Latin Marcus follower of mars, the god of war.

Yorkshire Born, Yorkshire Bred. 

my current favourite author is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

largebronze-letter-exc.pngflying-letter-exc.png

On 7/12/2024 at 5:48 PM, Mark from Yorkshire said:

The only Legal stamps in the uk are the barcode ones new Royal Mail changed the rules about 12 months ago. You will need a larger envelope I am afraid. I do agree the Barcode ones are too big and a complete p.i.t.a 

especially when using multiple stamps to get payment right to send overseas

This might only be partially correct.

Earlier commemorative stamps (ie without bar codes) are still useable. There were some small 1st class ones made eg the Harry Potter shield collection & some small Xmas stamps). You may find that there are bulk sellers who hold such items.

Thank you Mark and Northlodge.

This is so sad. You chaps showed the way with the 2.4cm 2.1cm size and ... these were perfect for letters!

I became passionate about fountain pens when I inherited my great grand father's collection. this led to becoming involved with writing letters, rather than emails, and this led to stamps: I just purchased an almost perfect (and very rare series) Penny Black. The perfect combination: pen/penmanship/stamps.

Anyway, I checked online and the stamps that @northlodge mentions are in fact available. Unfortunately they are only very slightly smaller at 37mm x 35mm.

I just purchased the Queen's commemoration series without the bar code but, sadly, also this smaller series is going to be phased out. only 7 sheets left.

Tommaso