EFNIR: PenBBS #234 Garnet

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: PenBBS #234 Garnet

This is review #293 in my series. Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: This is a pink (see slide) so dark that it looks like a maroonish red color.  It's almost identical to Sailor Kujukuri Coast Hamanasu, and just as hard to find (both my samples were gifted to me by someone in Australia).  The microscope image is cool, though!

Cleaning was easy with plain water. It's pretty concentrated, so you may need an extra flush or two, but no hint of clinging or staining.

Errata: "outsid" should be "outside" and "insid" should be "inside". :eyeroll:

Zoomed in photo (Pretty close, maybe a little duller than reality.)
large.PenBBS234GarnetZ.jpg.6774d6ef0b2cd98506cb18cef40f3145.jpg

Screenshot (Color is a little too dark, but otherwise good.)
large.PenBBS234Garnet.jpg.0116907920bd6260254728b037be03f0.jpg

Scan of Completed Review (Not bad, but color is a little off (I had to adjust as the scanner made it far too blue).)
large.PenBBS234GarnetS.jpg.97f1fb05c4f6bddc2fc980cd2d8a891f.jpg

Absorbent Paper Close-up (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper) (Both are close - it's quite dark on absorbent paper.)
large.PenBBS234GarnetAP.jpg.53461996d97aad28bee20c7a25facfcc.jpg

Line width (The "I" in "Ink:". Magnification is 100x. The grid is 100x100µm. The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each. The line width for this ink is roughly 300µm. With 293 inks measured, the average line width is 297µm.)
large.PenBBS234GarnetLW.jpg.5a19e06e7ddc03bba63bd3292f4162c1.jpg

Microscope image (100x. Colors are pretty close.)
large.PenBBS234GarnetSmear.jpg.b3a955b05cb9bedbd157b178f949b18c.jpg

Microscope image (100x. Colors are pretty close.)
large.PenBBS234GarnetSmear2.jpg.65dcd44c959ac6ec6d21108a88e4c3bc.jpg

Previous Review: Lamy Violet.

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

View a list of my inks, complete with review results in a google sheet.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh? Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• yazeh

• A Smug Dill

• I-am-not-really-here

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks wine red to me.  Another ink where the microscope images are more interesting than the ink itself.

Thanks for the review!

Thank you for such a fun review @LizEF 👍

It's refeshing to see a differnt shade of colour even though it's more likely unobtainable.

I also enjoyed how you creatively informed us the readers, of the  "old spells". 👏👏👏

I was watching a documentary about the Renaissance the other day and discovered more "witches" were killed in that time period than the medieval era. 😒 I'm glad our heros live in a ti.e where there are only good or bad wizards😊

Thanks for bringing light to our Tuesdays 🙏🙏🙏

24 minutes ago, I-am-not-really-here said:

Looks wine red to me.  Another ink where the microscope images are more interesting than the ink itself.

:lol:

24 minutes ago, I-am-not-really-here said:

Thanks for the review!

You're very welcome! :)

25 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Thank you for such a fun review @LizEF 👍

:) You're most welcome!

26 minutes ago, yazeh said:

It's refeshing to see a differnt shade of colour even though it's more likely unobtainable.

It's funny that the only two inks I have in this shade seem unobtainable - at least in this part of the world.

27 minutes ago, yazeh said:

I also enjoyed how you creatively informed us the readers, of the  "old spells". 👏👏👏

:D Things are all the time being lost when folks jump on the "ooo, new stuff" bandwagon.

28 minutes ago, yazeh said:

I was watching a documentary about the Renaissance the other day and discovered more "witches" were killed in that time period than the medieval era. 😒

Human nature again. :( Disagreeing and disliking aren't strong enough, we must destroy the ones who are "wrong"...

29 minutes ago, yazeh said:

I'm glad our heros live in a ti.e where there are only good or bad wizards😊

:) This is one of many things I like about fiction, things can be simpler...  (Even when the good guys have faults and the bad guys have some good attributes, you can still tell the difference.)

30 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Thanks for bringing light to our Tuesdays 🙏🙏🙏

Gladly! :)

16 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Hmmm, you're right. I just went and had a look on Taobao, and I could still find stock of PenBBS inks #231, #232, #233, #235, and #236 — just not #234 any more.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Attack of the garnet-sapphire tsunami, followed by Attack of the disgruntled sapphire-garnet dandelion puffs!  Exciting ink—- or are these the shape of spells?

I really like this color, but have sworn off buying new ink.  Good thing it is Almost Unobtainium.  😉

Thanks for another wonderful entry, @LizEF.  And for your Tuesday Treat.  Even when I can't get 'em or don't want 'em, I love your ink reviews, not to mention the story.  💝 👏🏻 🎉

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

1 hour ago, A Smug Dill said:

Hmmm, you're right. I just went and had a look on Taobao, and I could still find stock of PenBBS inks #231, #232, #233, #235, and #236 — just not #234 any more.

Yep @LizEF mentionned that in her review. Thanks for confirming it 🙏

2 hours ago, LizEF said:

It's funny that the only two inks I have in this shade seem unobtainable - at least in this part of the world.

According to @A Smug Dill it is :)

2 hours ago, LizEF said:

:D Things are all the time being lost when folks jump on the "ooo, new stuff" bandwagon.

:D 

2 hours ago, LizEF said:

Human nature again. :( Disagreeing and disliking aren't strong enough, we must destroy the ones who are "wrong"...

The more I read about history or see documentaries, the more it seems that history repeats itself and we don't learn from it :( Thankfully we still have inks :) 

2 hours ago, LizEF said:

:) This is one of many things I like about fiction, things can be simpler...  (Even when the good guys have faults and the bad guys have some good attributes, you can still tell the difference.)

Yep. That's nuance. Often times lost or sacrificed to prove a point :( 

13 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Attack of the garnet-sapphire tsunami, followed by Attack of the disgruntled sapphire-garnet dandelion puffs!  Exciting ink—- ...

:lol:

14 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

or are these the shape of spells?

Hmm.  I don't think spells in this particular universe have shapes.  I shall have to ponder further.

15 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

I really like this color, but have sworn off buying new ink.  Good thing it is Almost Unobtainium.  😉

:D Backwards blessings, or something...

16 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Thanks for another wonderful entry, @LizEF.  And for your Tuesday Treat.

:) You're most welcome!

16 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Even when I can't get 'em or don't want 'em, I love your ink reviews, not to mention the story.  💝 👏🏻 🎉

:D Thank you!

14 minutes ago, yazeh said:

The more I read about history or see documentaries, the more it seems that history repeats itself and we don't learn from it :(

It would help if history teachers were better at their job - in high school, my history teachers seemed to go to great lengths to make it as dull and irrelevant as they could.  I had one course in college that actually made history interesting and helpful - it focused on principles and then show how those principles came into play at various points in history (rather than just presenting a chronological "here's what happened in the past").

16 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Thankfully we still have inks :) 

Amen, brother! :D

17 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Yep. That's nuance. Often times lost or sacrificed to prove a point :( 

:) Yeah, fiction that is obvious in its point-making turns me off fast.  Give me some credit for being intelligent.  Fiction's first job is to entertain, not to preach, convert, or pontificate.

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

It would help if history teachers were better at their job - in high school, my history teachers seemed to go to great lengths to make it as dull and irrelevant as they could.  I had one course in college that actually made history interesting and helpful - it focused on principles and then show how those principles came into play at various points in history (rather than just presenting a chronological "here's what happened in the past").

Indeed. History was my favourite subject. But it was also the most painful subject. As often it was used as propaganda material to bash the other side. 

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

:) Yeah, fiction that is obvious in its point-making turns me off fast.  Give me some credit for being intelligent.  Fiction's first job is to entertain, not to preach, convert, or pontificate.

Yep. That's the problem nowadays. So many authors, have to walk a fine line, in order not to ignite culture wars, or embrace one side or the other and create the most atrocious stories. In screenwriting it's even worse. As you write a story, then the producer wants something, then if you're lucky and the film is greenly, then the director comes aboard and wants this, then the star wants that. In the end, you wonder why there's so many trash movies and why cinema is dying... but enough said, this is about ink, and imaginary friends, who bring some respite to this hot and humid day 🙏

Agreed, and glad I don't have to deal with all the screenwriting nonsense you describe!

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

but enough said, this is about ink, and imaginary friends, who bring some respite to this hot and humid day 🙏

:) Wishing you a dry, cool breeze, my friend!   We're scheduled to melt on Thursday.  Presumably the aliens will then transport our melted bodies to the salt flats, where they will slowly disappear, and the aliens will move in and pretend to be humans... :D

57 minutes ago, LizEF said:

Agreed, and glad I don't have to deal with all the screenwriting nonsense you describe!

Just ink nerds :D 

57 minutes ago, LizEF said:

:) Wishing you a dry, cool breeze, my friend!   We're scheduled to melt on Thursday.  Presumably the aliens will then transport our melted bodies to the salt flats, where they will slowly disappear, and the aliens will move in and pretend to be humans... :D

I hope not. I wish you all the luck. Though I have to say the cat is enjoying the weather immensely. Most of the time in the backyard, enjoying the heat, eyeing the birds :)

22 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Though I have to say the cat is enjoying the weather immensely. Most of the time in the backyard, enjoying the heat, eyeing the birds :)

:) Klaw and Smoke are very upset at me for not letting them out to get the birds.  They watch and go "ek-ek-ek" and sometimes Smoke smashes into the window trying to leap at a bird. :rolleyes:  But yes, they're quit content to laze in the heat of the afternoons.