EFNIR: Lamy Violet

LizEF

A cup of coffee in hand and together with the magical party and Lamy Violet down into the Dungeon, following @LizEF's wonderful review and a scientific riddle of premium class. There is no better way how to start Wednesday! :thumbup: Thank you!

In a time, long gone, in the land of our ancestors, there had been Lamy Violet in bottles and in cartridges standing side-by-side in (almost) each and every shelf of the stationary stores. 😋 To be honest, I do not know when Lamy stopped the Violet in bottles. It is still listed in some ink catalogues but no longer available - also not from European stores. I guess, the 2024 Lamy Dark Lilac should replace it?

However, the magical party is now stepping down into the mysterious deepness, facing never before seen photophobic creatures which are guarding treasures long ago deposited here and which secrets have vanished together with the remembering of their long dead owners ... 😱 Air temperature dropped significantly - my coffee cooled down - until: I saw the ink squares ... ☝️🧑‍⚕️

Woho! There is not much that crystallises in squares. @LizEF, is it flat squares or cubes? The most probable may be sodium chloride (salt) and maybe other sodium halogenides, but it can also be potassium-aluminium-sulfate, some precious gems (not so probable in a Lamy ink :) ) and some metals (aehm ... no). From my base chemistry class I remember that potassium-copper-lead-nitrite precipitates in cubes (left side, in the middle of this page of my 1970 chemistry textbook) - but, no, also not in a Lamy ink! 🤷‍♀️

large.KCuPbNO2.jpeg.cb0b5b64fe2b7843eed7f5cf187b637b.jpeg

And so we have to wait for upcoming episodes of the magical adventures. Maybe the answer is in the downstairs library? :D

What a cliffhanger, @LizEF👍

One life!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• yazeh

• lapis

• InesF

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, yazeh said:

Well at one point I thought they would meet Professor Eeenes @InesF

:lticaptd:

One life!

6 hours ago, InesF said:

A cup of coffee in hand and together with the magical party and Lamy Violet down into the Dungeon, following @LizEF's wonderful review and a scientific riddle of premium class. There is no better way how to start Wednesday! :thumbup: Thank you!

:D Well, the dungeon library, anyway...  You're most welcome!

6 hours ago, InesF said:

In a time, long gone, in the land of our ancestors, there had been Lamy Violet in bottles and in cartridges standing side-by-side in (almost) each and every shelf of the stationary stores. 😋 To be honest, I do not know when Lamy stopped the Violet in bottles. It is still listed in some ink catalogues but no longer available - also not from European stores. I guess, the 2024 Lamy Dark Lilac should replace it?

Thank you for the confirmation and back-story.  Apparently this ink wasn't popular enough to continue in bottles.  Perhaps most of the purchasers were girls in their early teens, hence the continued cartridges...

6 hours ago, InesF said:

However, the magical party is now stepping down into the mysterious deepness, facing never before seen photophobic creatures which are guarding treasures long ago deposited here and which secrets have vanished together with the remembering of their long dead owners ... 😱 Air temperature dropped significantly - my coffee cooled down - until: I saw the ink squares ... ☝️🧑‍⚕️

:D :D

6 hours ago, InesF said:

Woho! There is not much that crystallises in squares. @LizEF, is it flat squares or cubes?

The slide is long since cleaned, but they looked flat to me.  I don't recall seeing anything that would suggest they were significantly raised above the surface of the ink.

6 hours ago, InesF said:

The most probable may be sodium chloride (salt) and maybe other sodium halogenides, but it can also be potassium-aluminium-sulfate, some precious gems (not so probable in a Lamy ink :) ) and some metals (aehm ... no). From my base chemistry class I remember that potassium-copper-lead-nitrite precipitates in cubes (left side, in the middle of this page of my 1970 chemistry textbook) - but, no, also not in a Lamy ink! 🤷‍♀️

Hmm.  And here I thought #9 looked just like this ink's slide...  Numbers 8 and 10 also look very familiar - things I've seen on other slides. :)

6 hours ago, InesF said:

And so we have to wait for upcoming episodes of the magical adventures. Maybe the answer is in the downstairs library? :D

At least one answer is in the library...  :D

6 hours ago, InesF said:

What a cliffhanger, @LizEF👍

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2024 at 9:45 PM, LizEF said:

:) Ah, the purple phase - pretty sure all kids need a purple ink at some point, even if they don't use fountain pens! :D  I do like the color, and the ink was well-behaved.

What do you mean, a purple phase? I discovered my first purple and burgundy in my first novelty wide ballpoint with fun multi colors, I think there was also a teal.

Then purple in fine liners markers then color pencils.

After receiving my first metal Waterman fountain pen, with its big blue cartridges, I got a pack of red ones, probably on sale, to make purple ink.

I bought a bottle of Waterman blue ink and refilled my big Waterman cartridges and  the small ones for my plastic backup fountain pens .

That  box of red cartridges is still with me, I could only make burgundy because I don't like to use red ink by itself.

I am almost certain that my biggest ink sub-collection is the purple/burgundy/pink family.

That says nothing about my wardrobe, accessories, and everything else.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

7 hours ago, Anne-Sophie said:

What do you mean, a purple phase? ...

:lol:  May your life-long phase bring you much joy!

I'm not heavy into violet, still having my Pelikan violet bottle and Lamy Cartridges from some 15 years ago. I do like the color.

Lamy Violet only comes in cartridges.

If clicked a couple times, the Lamy Violet looks more like it is , lighter than the picture.

Lamy like the MB don't show shading; like the other three.

Paper CT 90g.

r1HGLFV.jpg

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.