EFNIR: Lamy Violet

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Lamy Violet

This is review #292 in my series. Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: This is a nice shade of purple.  This was from a cartridge and I did top it off with a tiny bit of distilled water.  Cleaning was quick and easy with plain water.

Shading: I did get a little shading on Iroful paper, but not on Rhodia and not on Tomoe River 52gsm. Sheen requires a much wetter application than this nib generally provided.

Zoomed in photo (Not too far off; shading is exaggerated. This seems to be closest to reality.)
large.LamyVioletZ.jpg.548e4ead06e234e834e050939be4d7e2.jpg

Screenshot (Color isn't quite right, but better than the scan.)
large.LamyViolet.jpg.3fe20efa9b263f6c1728c6b6585b9761.jpg

Scan of Completed Review (The scanner hates this color, tries to make it pastel. Corrected as best I could, but still wrong.)
large.LamyVioletS.jpg.bbc964bca0c9b223ad0cdf9d79f67aa0.jpg

Absorbent Paper Close-up (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper) (Not too bad.)
large.LamyVioletAP.jpg.26cf495a7133664c3283102ac5ae2339.jpg

Line width (The "I" in "Ink:". Magnification is 100x. The grid is 100x100µm. The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each. The line width for this ink is roughly 273µm. With 292 inks measured, the average line width is 296µm.)
large.LamyVioletLW.jpg.e0d5c46f6f510c3d11e792b5b6d3316b.jpg

Microscope image (100x. The colors were more vibrant in reality, and the purple was less blue. I saw one triangle amid all those squares, but its section wasn't as visually interesting.)
large.LamyVioletSmear.jpg.937014463725e82c5b517c8008de1169.jpg

Previous Review: Sheaffer Skrip Red.

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

View a list of my inks, complete with review results in a google sheet.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh? Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• yazeh

• lapis

• InesF

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for another Tuesday treat :thumbup: You'll have a laugh when you see my ink for tomorrow, same shade almost 😁

The plot thickens, the fuzzy foam that forced them back to the palace, the squirrel door, a mysterious 'healing" library that Vika doesn't like 🙀 .

Thanks for bringing magic to our Tuesdays 🙏🙏🙏

Greetings!

It is confuse how many violet lamy inks are available...Violet LE, the new Violet and Lilac Ink? 

How Can I distinguish them? The packing look very similar to me.. :(

Regards

22 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Thank you for another Tuesday treat :thumbup:

:) You're most welcome!

23 minutes ago, yazeh said:

You'll have a laugh when you see my ink for tomorrow, same shade almost 😁

:) Looking forward to it!

23 minutes ago, yazeh said:

The plot thickens, the fuzzy foam that forced them back to the palace, the squirrel door, a mysterious 'healing" library that Vika doesn't like 🙀 .

Fuzzy foam?  (It's going into the palace, in the same place the squirrel went, that Essri doesn't like...)  Have you been dreaming up more plot twists for me?  Heaven knows we're due for some action right about now, but we have to wade through some intrigue and politics first...

26 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Thanks for bringing magic to our Tuesdays 🙏🙏🙏

:D Gladly!

9 minutes ago, Mr.Rene said:

Greetings!

Hello, @Mr.Rene!  Nice to see you.

10 minutes ago, Mr.Rene said:

It is confuse how many violet lamy inks are available...Violet LE, the new Violet and Lilac Ink? 

How Can I distinguish them? The packing look very similar to me.. :(

Yes, Lamy may take "minimalist" to new extremes when it comes to labeling their boxes and bottles...  This is the ordinary, standard, not-limited, not-special violet.  And after some searching around, sorry now I didn't do it sooner, it appears this color is only available in cartridges (at least, that's the only way I could find it on Lamy's website and a few US retailers).

Is that the floor plan?  😸

I think I have or had used a couple of your comparison inks, like the Pilot, and maybe Waterman?

@Mr.Rene: Not the only one confused here.  This isn't the sheening Dark Lilac, right?  The one that Diamine Pansy's supposed to be a dupe?

@LizEF, love the review and story, so thanks as always for Terrific Tuesdays! 

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

Fuzzy foam? 

I thought there was so.e weird foam that forced the people and Quin and the gang to return to the palace 😊

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

(It's going into the palace, in the same place the squirrel went, that Essri doesn't like...) 

Sorry. I misread the line, Vika repeated 😉

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

Have you been dreaming up more plot twists for me? 

Well at one point I thought they would meet Professor Eeenes @InesF

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

Heaven knows we're due for some action right about now, but we have to wade through some intrigue and politics first...

We can't have it all. Can we? 😊

1 hour ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Is that the floor plan?  😸

You mean the microscope slide?  That would be funny - and fitting for a magical building - disconnected rooms, weirdly stacked and rotated... :lol:

I think I have or had used a couple of your comparison inks, like the Pilot, and maybe Waterman?

:thumbup:

This isn't the sheening Dark Lilac, right?  The one that Diamine Pansy's supposed to be a dupe?

Nope, this is the cartridge-only plain "Violet".

@LizEF, love the review and story, so thanks as always for Terrific Tuesdays! 

:) Thanks!  You're very welcome!

51 minutes ago, yazeh said:

I thought there was so.e weird foam that forced the people and Quin and the gang to return to the palace 😊

Nope, it was a grey spot, like they encountered on the isle of Diaminnia, where everything turns grey - only this time, things are turning grey and showing an unusual texture that Makhabesh recognizes but can't quite place. :)  People were running from said grey spot (because when they look at each other, they're also grey).  They're running to the palace in hopes the palace can help / stop the spot from growing. No foam.  (FYI, though not mentioned, like on Diaminnia, once they leave the geographic area where the grey spot is, they return to their normal color.  (It is entirely unclear whether this magic actually turns things grey or causes the viewer to perceive them as grey - either by acting on the viewer, or by creating some sort of illusory "film" or "filter" over the area...))

Sorry. I misread the line, Vika repeated 😉

Yeah, it's awkward - sorry.  Whenever anyone speaks mind-to-mind, they can only speak to Vika, so for everyone else to hear it, Vika has to repeat what they tell her - she can speak to everyone, since Quin created those links between her and Makhabesh and her and Essri (but didn't have enough gabweed root to create a link between Makhabesh and Essri directly; and hasn't the ability to enchant himself - rule of magic - you can't enchant yourself.) :D

Well at one point I thought they would meet Professor Eeenes @InesF

:lol: Love it!  The back of my brain is already pondering how to make this happen and whether the University of Magic (which clearly needs a better name) is in Ferovere or some other city - some other city, I think....

We can't have it all. Can we? 😊

Well, we can, just not all at once, and not quickly (at only 100 words / week).  I've been pondering how to simplify my original plot idea so that I can get on with it already!  I've also been pondering adding additional story text to my website and the notes (since there's no room on the review page) so that we can get through the less-active stage quicker...

Thanks for this review. AFAIK, Lamy's "Violet" is -- and/or at least has been -- available only in carts.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

52 minutes ago, lapis said:

Thanks for this review.

You're very welcome!

52 minutes ago, lapis said:

AFAIK, Lamy's "Violet" is -- and/or at least has been -- available only in carts.

Yes, that was my conclusion after doing a quick search.  (That and Lamy are rather stingy on the labeling. :D )

3 hours ago, LizEF said:

I've also been pondering adding additional story text to my website and the notes (since there's no room on the review page) so that we can get through the less-active stage quicker...

But you can't rush through a library! ;)

Thanks for yet another excellent review and more of the story!

"To read without also writing is to sleep." - St. Jerome

26 minutes ago, LizEF said:

(That and Lamy are rather stingy on the labeling. :D )

Yes, and to underline that and all my other Lamyfications.... What I hate most about that unfirm company is that they often don't even offer some of their bottled inks in their own country. They do, however, cough out such niceties in other countries, like Poland, Denmark, Austria, Holland, France..........

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

9 minutes ago, knarflj said:

But you can't rush through a library! ;)

:lol:  This is true.  A library is a place where you should spend lots and lots of time.

10 minutes ago, knarflj said:

Thanks for yet another excellent review and more of the story!

:) You're very welcome!

7 minutes ago, lapis said:

Yes, and to underline that and all my other Lamyfications.... What I hate most about that unfirm company is that they often don't even offer some of their bottled inks in their own country. They do, however, cough out such niceties in other countries, like Poland, Denmark, Austria, Holland, France..........

Yeah, that's just wrong.

3 hours ago, LizEF said:

Nope, it was a grey spot, like they encountered on the isle of Diaminnia, where everything turns grey - only this time, things are turning grey and showing an unusual texture that Makhabesh recognizes but can't quite place. :)  People were running from said grey spot (because when they look at each other, they're also grey).  They're running to the palace in hopes the palace can help / stop the spot from growing. No foam.  (FYI, though not mentioned, like on Diaminnia, once they leave the geographic area where the grey spot is, they return to their normal color.  (It is entirely unclear whether this magic actually turns things grey or causes the viewer to perceive them as grey - either by acting on the viewer, or by creating some sort of illusory "film" or "filter" over the area...))

Clever idea. Sort of a mirage. Good thinking :thumbup:

3 hours ago, LizEF said:

Yeah, it's awkward - sorry.  Whenever anyone speaks mind-to-mind, they can only speak to Vika, so for everyone else to hear it, Vika has to repeat what they tell her - she can speak to everyone, since Quin created those links between her and Makhabesh and her and Essri (but didn't have enough gabweed root to create a link between Makhabesh and Essri directly; and hasn't the ability to enchant himself - rule of magic - you can't enchant yourself.) :D

Thanks for the clarification. To write a first draft in form of ink reviews is a feat of courage and creativity. I doubt if any writer would do that 👏

3 hours ago, LizEF said:

:lol: Love it!  The back of my brain is already pondering how to make this happen and whether the University of Magic (which clearly needs a better name) is in Ferovere or some other city - some other city, I think....

:D 

3 hours ago, LizEF said:

Well, we can, just not all at once, and not quickly (at only 100 words / week).  I've been pondering how to simplify my original plot idea so that I can get on with it already!  I've also been pondering adding additional story text to my website and the notes (since there's no room on the review page) so that we can get through the less-active stage quicker...

Takr your time. Let the story unfold organically. See what's important and trim off the excess, or for when you get the book deal for Quin and his gang ;) 

@LizEF Thanks as usual for the review.  This does look to be a fairly nice color -- but the fact that it ONLY appears to be available in cartridges is a deal breaker for me.... :(  Kinda too bad, really -- I LOVED the original version of Dark Lilac (saw a swab of the re-issued Dark Lilac ink at the Baltimore/Washington Show a few months ago, but didn't like the sheen).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

This is one of those colors that my kids picked early on for their Safari pens and quite enjoyed. Since then, they have moved to other colors, but the ink itself seems to be quite nicely done. 

4 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

@LizEF Thanks as usual for the review.

:) You're most welcome!

This does look to be a fairly nice color -- but the fact that it ONLY appears to be available in cartridges is a deal breaker for me.... :( 

Yeah, I don't like getting cartridges, and this color certainly isn't unique and compelling enough to overcome that.

Kinda too bad, really -- I LOVED the original version of Dark Lilac (saw a swab of the re-issued Dark Lilac ink at the Baltimore/Washington Show a few months ago, but didn't like the sheen).

Well, this is nothing like Dark Lilac, that's for sure.  It's a fairly ordinary violet.  I'm sure there are similar enough colors out there.

1 hour ago, arcfide said:

This is one of those colors that my kids picked early on for their Safari pens and quite enjoyed. Since then, they have moved to other colors, but the ink itself seems to be quite nicely done. 

:) Ah, the purple phase - pretty sure all kids need a purple ink at some point, even if they don't use fountain pens! :D  I do like the color, and the ink was well-behaved.