Packaging

ajf

I got a new Montblanc pen recently too , from an official boutique. I must admit I was somewhat underwhelmed by the small plain white cardboard box and cloth pouch, although I don’t feel strongly about it and I do see how this has its own charm, however they are selling luxury, hence the premium prices and brand diversification.  I don’t buy the eco justification… does Montblanc sell their luxury watches with minimalistic packaging too?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NoType

• Karmachanic

• Seney724

• kazoolaw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Although it’s troublesome to store pen boxes, when you decide to resell or trade them, having the original box tends to increase the value of your pen, especially if it’s a highly sought after model.  Since it’s part of the allure and adventure of this type of acquisition, having a high quality box to accompany a valuable pen only makes sense to me.  I think Montblanc is making a mistake by decreasing the perceived quality of their pen boxes.

The Ferrari 296 GTS didn't come in a box of any description.  So disappointing.  What am I s'posed to do when the 298 becomes available?  Bag it? :gaah:

Add lightness and simplicate.

The Packaging is part of the Product and thus Part of the 4Ps of marketing as made Popular in the 60s and early 70s by the likes of Phillip kotler et al. It is an integral part of the offering, the appeal, and the overall means of enticing you to buy it. 

8 hours ago, EricTheRed said:

Although it’s troublesome to store pen boxes, when you decide to resell or trade them, having the original box tends to increase the value of your pen, especially if it’s a highly sought after model.

A big pen box certainly tends to increase the price of a pen for re-sale. Whether it also increases the perceived value depends on the buyer. For me, it doesn't, and I am happy to get a nice pen without a big (and, to me, wasteful) box if it means I spent less for it. I don't buy pens for re-sale, and if I do end up re-selling something, it won't be for a profit. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Product, Price, Placement, and Promotion.  In this case it’s part of the product as eruditely described by Linger.

• 2 weeks later...

I like to store pens in their original boxes. But as collection grew it became impractical. The boxes do take up a lot of space , but I suppose a middle ground is needed… something like below … small wooden box 1A00A90D-884C-4E79-9021-9370A361CCED.jpeg.c083159e5e519bbe546c6b70edc2b1c4.jpeg

or maybe a metal tube with pen in a cotton pouch inside… like this …D06EDB3A-46FA-4575-8C31-F9FC1A9A813F.webp.e12dffb3090c10d3c1f24834bd606599.webp

got something similar but squarish tube(foam inside)with a Parker pen once… or like this1C3ED6E2-9A49-40E0-9DAA-5174236857BD.jpeg.aeffd1419727e6abf1e5dc893df24fbb.jpeg

A metal tube only , pen in a pouch stored inside…

but these would never happen , as I assume it would eat into their leather single pen case sales…

I just love the packaging of Graf Von Faber castell pens in unhinged wood version.

BBFC79EE-CE3A-43D2-AC29-EA8885B68159.jpeg.8a3f144df176dad44ed2d6b38ce7cc8a.jpeg

8 hours ago, vikrmbedi said:

I like to store pens in their original boxes. But as collection grew it became impractical. The boxes do take up a lot of space , but I suppose a middle ground is needed… something like below … small wooden box 1A00A90D-884C-4E79-9021-9370A361CCED.jpeg.c083159e5e519bbe546c6b70edc2b1c4.jpeg

or maybe a metal tube with pen in a cotton pouch inside… like this …D06EDB3A-46FA-4575-8C31-F9FC1A9A813F.webp.e12dffb3090c10d3c1f24834bd606599.webp

got something similar but squarish tube(foam inside)with a Parker pen once… or like this1C3ED6E2-9A49-40E0-9DAA-5174236857BD.jpeg.aeffd1419727e6abf1e5dc893df24fbb.jpeg

A metal tube only , pen in a pouch stored inside…

but these would never happen , as I assume it would eat into their leather single pen case sales…

I just love the packaging of Graf Von Faber castell pens in unhinged wood version.

BBFC79EE-CE3A-43D2-AC29-EA8885B68159.jpeg.8a3f144df176dad44ed2d6b38ce7cc8a.jpeg

@vikrmbedi Thank you for these images, inspiring examples of space-saving yet attractive pen storage solutions.

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2024 at 5:32 AM, Seney724 said:

Remember, Richemont is a public company which means the most important thing to them is enhancing shareholder value.  Everything else is secondary.  And so, environmental sustainability only becomes important to them if they can enhance shareholder value as a result of it.  This is, of course, possible but I'll believe it only when I see the data which supports it.

A very valid point of view, and I might even go further and most humbly add that Richemont would only do it if the social values made it impossible to do otherwise, which is not the case; or the regulatory regime mandated it, and that is also not the case. 

Richemont is in the business of making money, and that in my humble opinion is the very purpose of its very existence

4 hours ago, a student said:

Richemont is in the business of making money,

This is not unusual for a business.

5 minutes ago, Karmachanic said:

This is not unusual for a business.

Precisely; thank you. 

I asked a similar question yesterday after bringing home my new 149 purchased at a MB Boutique in person. I had a brief moment of doubt when I unpacked and realized that there was nothing but a cheap cardboard box and a cloth pouch. Not what I’m used to from MB in the past and not what I expect from a $1100 item. And yes, I also suspect that the old packaging is probably more expensive to make than the pens themselves. 
Reading some of the comments here, I have to wonder though if MB/Richemont has an ESG and/DEI statement anywhere. Which might me reverse my purchasing decision. 

By the way, I had the same experience when unpacking the new ink bottle I bought (green). My previous one came in a box with a little drawer tab and a piece of foam on the inside. That has been replaced by a simple sticker and a piece of folded cardboard that won’t last. Maybe I’m overly sensitive, but these kind of things are usually indicators of cheapening of brands that once stood for high quality. I see this in many places. 

Edit: and here it is in all its Newspeak glory 🤢

https://www.montblanc.com/en-us/discover/company/sustainability?gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAADmBEK758VHDqEsdHdRbg5ZcW3Nsh&gclid=CjwKCAjwodC2BhAHEiwAE67hJDPfbCzM_B5DH8uNNa6ejqOO_siVkgEmBQf9Rwxzpies2pAQxMd_fxoCxE8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by 7enderbender

And not to hijack the thread or beat a dead horse, but is it possible that the piston filler mechanism is no longer brass? 
I got the new 149 with the platinum applications so maybe it’s a plating over brass. But it’s defiantly shiny white metal. And it feels overall lighter than I expected. Didn’t have a chance yet to compare it directly to my old 146. 

On 6/30/2024 at 7:45 PM, pen2deep said:

They started changing the packaging in 2022. I believe the glacier series was the first to use the new packaging.  The Scottsdale boutique told me it was an initiative towards more sustainable packaging, for what it’s worth. 

Every business uses that term when they cheap out.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

2 hours ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Every business uses that term when they cheap out.

Agree.

In addition to "cheaping out" I think the businesses are also taking advantage of a timely & politically correct opportunity.  By making a news splash about their (new found) concern over the environment and social responsibility to help protect it, these companies are helping to indemnify themselves against the unspeakable damage & destruction that some environmental crazies see fit to create at businesses which do not cow-tow to their demands.

So, to review, by cheaping out, these companies:

Reduce production costs which enhances their margin.

Enhance shareholder value

Market their disingenuous commitment to the environment so to be both politically correct and to indemnify themselves from harm.

What is missing is any evidence that the savings (or even a small portion of them) are being passed along to their customers by virtue of reduced pricing!

Finally, @Karmachanic is correct.  This is not unique to Montblanc.  It happens a lot.

2 hours ago, Seney724 said:

It happens a lot.

Well yeah.  Generally the function of a business is to make money.

With regard to boxes, one could take the view that simple boxed help keep the prices of velben goods in check.  Otherwise the pens would cost an additional 200 monetary units.

On the other hand one could argue that the luxe box justifies the price of an acrylic and PVD gold pen with an 18k nib.

Yes,  I have (black) MB pens.  Pre-loved. All of which arrived in very ordinary boxes, that found their way to the recycling bin.  Fortunately this had/has no ill effect of the performance and feel in hand.

:wacko:

16 minutes ago, Karmachanic said:

Well yeah.  Generally the function of a business is to make money.

With regard to boxes, one could take the view that simple boxed help keep the prices of velben goods in check.  Otherwise the pens would cost an additional 200 monetary units.

On the other hand one could argue that the luxe box justifies the price of an acrylic and PVD gold pen with an 18k nib.

Yes,  I have (black) MB pens.  Pre-loved. All of which arrived in very ordinary boxes, that found their way to the recycling bin.  Fortunately this had/has no ill effect of the performance and feel in hand.

:wacko:

No, not "generally".........

Always.

You keep posting like none of us understand that fundamental principal.

The point is not about making money, it is about being truthful about the way you go about it.

For Montblanc, the concern over the environment is a BS excuse.

4 minutes ago, Seney724 said:

No, not "generally".........

Always.

You keep posting like none of us understand that fundamental principal.

The point is not about making money, it is about being truthful about the way you go about it.

For Montblanc, the concern over the environment is a BS excuse.

Absolutely.

I may be a dinosaur but if I am buying a premium priced product I want the very nice packaging and to buy from a place that shouts quality and class and be listened to when I buy my pen. I want the whole nine yards if I buy another Montblanc and if they give me a pen that rattles about in the bottom of a paper bag in the name of saving the environment then I will feel short changed.

If I buy a Jinhao 159 for $10 in a plastic wrapper then I am just fine with that.

12 hours ago, Seney724 said:

these companies are helping to indemnify themselves against the unspeakable damage & destruction that some environmental crazies see fit to create at businesses which do not cow-tow to their demands.

@Seney724 As Greta Thunberg says, our house’s roof is on fire.  Extreme circumstances sometimes call for extreme measures.  You may call me crazy if you wish.

Apologies for this off-topic reply.