Pen Identification

buyitwright

Recently acquired a beautiful 925 fountain piston fill pen with no other markings. Could be a Parker, Kosca or other but no able to find an exact match.

I am hopeful someone can point me in the right direction. See pictures and I am happy to provide more. 

Kirk

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

IMG_1639.jpeg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• buyitwright

• Bo Bo Olson

• inkstainedruth

• mke

Could the "925" refer to its silver content?  Looks too subtle to be branding.  The ink window design reminds me a little of Pelikan, and there are some similar Montblancs, but both have prominent branding. 

Wish I could help more.

"Nothing is new under the sun!  Even the thing of which we say, “See, this is new!” has already existed in the ages that preceded us." Ecclesiastes
"Modern Life®️? It’s rubbish! 🙄" - Mercian

Yeah, what Checklist said about the "925" marking -- that's the equivalent, IIRC of saying that it's sterling silver.

But beyond that?  Sorry, no clue, other than I don't know if Parker ever made piston fillers.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Definitely silver designation. Beautiful pen with great weight. 

54 minutes ago, Checklist said:

Could the "925" refer to its silver content?  Looks too subtle to be branding.  The ink window design reminds me a little of Pelikan, and there are some similar Montblancs, but both have prominent branding. 

Wish I could help more.

Thank you. 

Sterling silver pen...nib, ... Everyone in Europe copied the P-51 nail nib...Germany, Italy, France, and even England. So after the War.

Bottom jewel = P-51 copy.

The blind cap piston was popular in the '30's and late '40's after the war....

The flat finial, brings it into the start of the '50's.

No idea...

Is either cork or Plastic Gasket 1.0....Plastic gasket 2.0 came in @ 1955, and I'd date your pen before that.

It's been around the block a couple times....been used a long time, so someone liked it well.

I have some barley corn silver overlay pens with no names....jewelry shop put together in my case in Pfortzheim, the jewelry center of Germany. (Using my guess Herlitz-Luxor pens.)

Yours is a very classy pen....not cheap. If pushed, I could see Italian or even French.

I am rather ignorant of French pens and and almost as ignorant of Italian.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

19 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Bottom jewel = P-51 copy.

I prefer to think of these pens as homage, rather than mere copies. For a short while I was seeking out as many different varieties of these imitation knockoffs, I mean homages, as I could find from different brands, but there are so many I felt like I could never get a handle on them. So I stopped.

I wish I could give more information about this pen, but it is pretty relentlessly anonymous. My top two guesses for nationality would be British or German, based on not very much except the utility of the design combined with the luxury of the silver body. 

You need to remove the hood and see if there are markings on the nib. (If you are not comfortable with doing that then don't. Best not risk damaging it.)

On 7/1/2024 at 2:52 AM, Armo said:

You need to remove the hood and see if there are markings on the nib. (If you are not comfortable with doing that then don't. Best not risk damaging it.)

Thanks but I can’t do that without damaging the ink view area. The glass is cracked and any pressure or change could shatter it

On 6/30/2024 at 3:01 PM, Paul-in-SF said:

I prefer to think of these pens as homage, rather than mere copies. For a short while I was seeking out as many different varieties of these imitation knockoffs, I mean homages, as I could find from different brands, but there are so many I felt like I could never get a handle on them. So I stopped.

I wish I could give more information about this pen, but it is pretty relentlessly anonymous. My top two guesses for nationality would be British or German, based on not very much except the utility of the design combined with the luxury of the silver body. 

Thank you

The cracked window...plastic not glass ruins it's value....period.

Where are you at? I know a fine repair man in Belgium; whom I use for all my pen repairs...some 12- or so.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

1 hour ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

The cracked window...plastic not glass ruins it's value....period.

Where are you at? I know a fine repair man in Belgium; whom I use for all my pen repairs...some 12- or so.

I am in Atlanta. I thought it might be plastic but it does sound and look like glass. Do you have a contact for your US person?

No...but Ron Zorn who is on com, is a great repairman. There are others but Ron often comes on com with great info; to our or other's problems.

You have to go personal message to him...PM.

If I was in the States I'd use him.

Ron Z has worked on a number of pens of mine over the years.  Unfortunately, he was sick over the winter and is trying to play catch-up (as least as of the last pen club meeting we were both at) -- when I talked to him in May, he still hadn't gotten to a pen that I brought to him last fall at the Ohio Pen Show (it was a weird Japanese eyedropper that had a shutoff valve, and he didn't have the tools to work on it with him at the show (apparently he has to be very careful to check whether the shut off system was left-threaded or right threaded).

It might actually be easier to contact him through his website: Main Street Pens, than with a PM, BTW.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On 6/25/2024 at 4:35 AM, buyitwright said:

I am hopeful someone can point me in the right direction.

Also ask on facebook's fpnuts forum (specialty: vintage pens) and on fpgeek forum (specialty: European pens). 

Report back please if you find the solution.

Thanks Ruth, being in Germany...I didn't know 'Main Street Pens, that of course.

49 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

Main Street Pens, than with a PM, BTW.

He doesn't want PMs. He always says this under his postings on FPN. Only emails (see his website).

My mistake.

17 hours ago, mke said:

He doesn't want PMs. He always says this under his postings on FPN. Only emails (see his website).

Thanks all. I will reach out.