Wearever pencil

Kloz

I picked up this Wearever pencil today and way looking for a little information on it please.

.IMG_2250.jpg.a95621164bac7de4666e38a40ac91767.jpgIMG_2252.thumb.jpg.f93ad99cf61093970d1b26c244f96a55.jpgIMG_2251.jpg.3a585f4ecbfeb6bfac725914123b0007.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kloz

• pen lady

• welch

• PPPR

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What do you need to know?  It's probably from the 30's-40's and most likely uses 1.1 mm leads. Does it work and do you know how to load a new lead?

I know nothing about it. I love how it looks.  Verry small however 4 1/2 inch long.  How does it work and how do you load it?

Well, that cleaned up very nicely. Vintage pencils load from the front. Rotate the nose-cone until the last remnants of old lead are expelled, the metal push-rod should now be visible.  Wind the nose-cone back enough to accommodate the new piece of lead so that about 1/8th inch is still visible then hold the pencil vertically and press down on a firm surface, the lead should then be lodged in place and, voila, a working pencil with expel and repel functions.

BTW, if you can pry out the old eraser, there might be old leads stored under it. If you can hear a rattle when you shake the pencil, it could be the leads just waiting for you to find them!

Does the silver part of the eraser come out or just the rubber?

Oh, you're English too aren't you? ''Rubber'' is a dead giveaway LOL! OK, I think it's just the rubber that comes out but try wiggling the metal part and see if it moves. If not, when new the rubber must have been much longer and you could grip it, now it's just a nub, so you'll have to dig it out. It's probably sitting in a little metal cup, but the material gets pretty ossified. You'd be too if you were that age!!!!

Edited by pen lady
for clarity

Sorry Rubber-A.  Too funny.  I grew up just outside Detroit and LOVED going to Canada.  Any idea where I can get a replacement?  I'm sure it's not going to come out without a fight.

Nope, they're ''erasers'' up here too, I was born in the UK though.  As far as replacements, that's another story.  What I've done in the past, once the old eraser is out of it's tube, is use that  as a kind of cookie-cutter. Find a regular block eraser that's not too thick and cut a replacement from that.  The ones at the end of a wooden pencil might do also, but I think they'd be too skinny though, I suppose you could wrap tape round the bottom 1/4 to size it up a bit.

2 hours ago, Kloz said:

Sorry Rubber-A.  Too funny.  I grew up just outside Detroit and LOVED going to Canada.  Any idea where I can get a replacement?  I'm sure it's not going to come out without a fight.

David Nishimura sells a variety of vintage eraser sizes at his website Vintage Pens. You might try there.

So he does! Thanks PPPR, that's good to know.

• 2 weeks later...

And the pencil leads will probably be .046 inches (1.1 mm), Maybe .036 (.9mm). Jonathan Veley, of Legendary Lead Company, sells both, and a few odd thicknesses. They are on line at https://www.legendaryleadcompany.com/. He also sells erasers for older Parker and Sheaffer mechanical pencils. 

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight