Swan 3250 self-filler

I am interested in one of these, but am confused! It has a lever, so why is called a 'self-filler' rather than a lever-filler? Is 'self-filler' merely a name dreamed up by Mabie Todd to mean Lever-filler?

Forgive my ignorance, I am new to this hobby.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• North Yorkie

• Greenie

• Schaumburg_Swan

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

yes, indeed, self filler is Mabie Todd's designation for a lever filler.

Enjoy

Jens

Many thanks for the prompt reply. As it turned out, I was outbid! But this is useful to know for the future.

Any pen that is not a dropper filled pen is referred to as a "self filler."  It is not particular to Mabie Todd, and not specific to a lever.  At the time Mabie Todd introduced lever filling pens, some instructions in boxes covered both "standard pattern" pens and "self filling" pens in the instructions.   For example, the attached ads for button filled, lever, and crescent fillers all calling themselves "self filling."  The waterman ad also references "regular", safety, and self filling types.

self filler.png

sh self.png

w self.png

c self.png

Thanks for this, very interesting. At the end of the day it seems that 'self-filling' simply means some form of creating a vacuum in the sac/reservoir so that it fills by air pressure.

3 hours ago, North Yorkie said:

Thanks for this, very interesting. At the end of the day it seems that 'self-filling' simply means some form of creating a vacuum in the sac/reservoir so that it fills by air pressure.

As opposed to needing a secondary device such as a dropper to transfer the ink.