Leonardo numbering and branding

Scribs

Hello, I have just received today my first special edtion Leonardo. What's puzzling me is that there isn't any branding, nor a pen number etched anywhere on the cap or the barrel. There's nothing on the piston knob either. Is this normal with the special editions? Or have I been sent a pen that was in a hurry to get out in the world?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scribs

• JonSzanto

• dms525

• mauckcg

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I forgot to mention that I bought the pen directly from Leonardo using their website, so it can't be a counterfeit . . .

I haven't contacted them directly about the lack of usual markings, I thought I would ask here first.

Does anybody else have an unmarked Leonardo?

My special edition Van Gogh pen does have number on it.

I'd ask Leonardo about this.

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Check the section, that's where I found the LE number on my new Dodici Mosaico.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2024 at 10:36 PM, ArchiMark said:

My special edition Van Gogh pen does have number on it.

I'd ask Leonardo about this.

A week ago today I wrote an email to Leonardo. They still haven't written back, and I doubt they ever will. It shall remain a mystery, or the pen an oddity . . .

I've checked everywhere, there's not a mark to be seen anywhere at all, not even on the grip section. The fenice nib is clearly marked.

I am expecting another limited edition Leonardo to arrive Monday . . .

The new celluloid Leonardo has arrived. It too has nothing etched on it at all.

It is a shame none of the other countless members here, who have posted photos of their many Leonardos, seem to be willing to contribute to this thread. Thank you ArchiMark and Paul-in-SF for your comments.

I have around 10 Leos, from standard run items to limited batches. The branding and LE numbering appears in different places on different pens - barrel, on the section, on the back of the cap (a recent one, from a run of 100, is exceedingly discreet in the mark on the back of cap, and I didn't even notice it until your thread, and had to use a loupe). But I also thought I had heard that on some of the very special pens, celluloid where only a handful, or one, pens were made, that they weren't numbered. I wouldn't worry about it myself, but I don't think it is an oversight, but a decision. AFAIC, the less markings on a pen, the better.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Leonardo numbers their regular and special editions, maybe for warranty use? Limited editions are numbered in the xxx/xxx or LE xxx/xxx format, AFAIK. My experience is the same as Jon's. Some of the numbering is very faint and hard to find.  I do have a few more Leonardo's than Jon, and I have found a couple LE's with no numbering I can locate. Both are from the 2020 series named after volcanos (Stromboli and Vesuvius)in Jonathon Brooks PM1 resin. I believe only 50 of each pen was produced.

David

On 6/3/2024 at 3:40 AM, Scribs said:

Hello, I have just received today my first special edtion Leonardo. What's puzzling me is that there isn't any branding, nor a pen number etched anywhere on the cap or the barrel. There's nothing on the piston knob either. Is this normal with the special editions? Or have I been sent a pen that was in a hurry to get out in the world?

BTW, "Special Editions" are produced for a limited time but with no predetermined limit on quantity. "Limited Editions" are produced in a limited number.

What is the name of the "Special Edition" you have? If some one on FPN has the same edition, perhaps they can look for a number on their specimen.

David

They are not all numbered.  My special edition Leonardos that I got from their own online store have no numbers engraved on them--the kind that are only made in small numbers of one to a few pens.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

41 minutes ago, dms525 said:

What is the name of the "Special Edition" you have? If some one on FPN has the same edition, perhaps they can look for a number on their specimen.

David

My first Special edition they call Acqua di Bologna. It was the only one they had left when I bought it. Since then they have three listed as available.

My newest special edition, which they also grade as being a limited edition, is the MZG blue note celluloid.

Neither pens have etchings anywhere.

35 minutes ago, Scribs said:

My first Special edition they call Acqua di Bologna. It was the only one they had left when I bought it. Since then they have three listed as available.

Looking at their website, it appears that this is a model from a particular material that will be made as they have raw materials and interest to make it, hence "small number of pens but not predicted on a xx/xx amount system". That's a handsome pen, and by any accounting a rare item. It doesn't need any numbering or branding to make it special, it IS special. Enjoy it.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

1 hour ago, Scribs said:

My newest special edition, which they also grade as being a limited edition, is the MZG blue note celluloid.

Neither pens have etchings anywhere.

If it is off the special editions page they typically do not have numbers as they are done in small random batches.  Sometimes more come out sometimes not.

13 hours ago, Scribs said:

The new celluloid Leonardo has arrived. It too has nothing etched on it at all.

It is a shame none of the other countless members here, who have posted photos of their many Leonardos, seem to be unwilling to contribute to this thread. Thank you ArchiMark and Paul-in-SF for your comments.

Sometimes  people are busy and don;t check in that often.  🤦‍♂️

Thank you all for helping me get a better clue behind the differences, it has had me puzzled. I appreciate it.

I just bought a limited edition Leonardo 753 Anco Marzio at Stilo Fetti recently.  This one was very clearly marked with the branding and number.  I thought it was fun that they used Roman numerals since this series honors the seven kings of Rome (although rumor has it that there were more than 7).  Mine is number 45 (or XLV).

IMG_7733.thumb.jpeg.c9fc9a8f8d5f22560ea517656876e2a2.jpeg

IMG_7731.thumb.jpeg.64ffc8f2f5bdd903bb3f44b48e0281b9.jpeg

IMG_7751.thumb.jpeg.60ff5dde3208d846bed8cc4d061c405e.jpeg