• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• irony

• DesAstor

• lascosas

• Merrick

@RobertJ I saw that Amazon price too. I was suspicious. But I am not in the market for that pen, anyway. I read the review you linked out of curiosity and found it interesting. I agree with that writer: I would not have paid more than the $115 I found from a seller in Japan for my injection-molded plastic Pilot 74, because why would I? I love the way it writes (SFM nib), but the quality of that pen is entirely in the quality of that nib, but that nib isn't worth over $150. Not many factory production nibs are, IMO.

I read the review you referenced.  There are many things you can call a Sailor 21K nib, but "mushy"?  I strongly disagree.  The normal reason people prefer one of the other two large Japanese fountain pen makers (Pilot & Platinum) is that Sailor gold nibs are relatively stiff & scratchy, which are the characteristics I and many others enjoy about their gold nibs.  Now the KOP nibs do lean in that direction, but not the 14K and 21K nibs.  In my opinion.

As to the seller, it is the Japan division of the Amazon corporation.  Not a problematic seller.  And at the moment you can get 8% off the $115 if you buy 3 eligible items from that seller.

Fine point is going to be too fine for me, I can't do with less than a MF for Sailor. Bummer because that's a great price!

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” 

-Groucho Marx

To add to the mix:  Amazon has a new price on the Sailor Professional Gear Gold Trim, 21K Nib and the

price is:  $113.69.  Small size  may appeal to some.....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0025RTHRI?smid=A3GZEOQINOCL0Y&psc=1

Or, a Platinum Chartre (Blue) 3776 soft fine for $96.00.  The Yen is weak.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09G9XS31H/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_10?smid=A3GZEOQINOCL0Y&psc=1

Ha, Amazon’s dynamic pricing strikes again. The 11-2024-220shows $152 for me

And, to DesAstor.  If you put into Amazon's search bar:  Sailor 11-2024-220, two sellers will appear.

One at 152, and the other at 116.  The choice is yours.  Either way, there is a 30 day return policy.

45 minutes ago, RobertJ said:

To add to the mix:  Amazon has a new price on the Sailor Professional Gear Gold Trim, 21K Nib and the

price is:  $113.69.  Small size  may appeal to some.....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0025RTHRI?smid=A3GZEOQINOCL0Y&psc=1

Or, a Platinum Chartre (Blue) 3776 soft fine for $96.00.  The Yen is weak.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09G9XS31H/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_10?smid=A3GZEOQINOCL0Y&psc=1

Several of the B Platinums from that same link are around the same price as the F. I just ordered the blue in B.

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” 

-Groucho Marx

A gold nib pen for about $60 USD is crazy cheap, most pends costs $200 USD for a gold nib.

Also Sailor is not scratchy it’s intact the opposite, smooth with a pencil feedback which is the mind blowing as to how they achieve it.

Deuter-

Yes you are correct.  I was merely trying to state the non-mushiness of the Sailor 21k nibs.  But the term always used, and I don't disagree with it, is #2 pencil-like.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Merrick said:

Several of the B Platinums from that same link are around the same price as the F. I just ordered the blue in B.

Lots of deals on some Platinum fountain pens

Edited by RobertJ

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2024 at 12:24 PM, RobertJ said:

And, to DesAstor.  If you put into Amazon's search bar:  Sailor 11-2024-220, two sellers will appear.

One at 152, and the other at 116.  The choice is yours.  Either way, there is a 30 day return policy.

Unfortunately that is not the case. The search is exactly what I have done and my prices are nowhere near what is reported by others. This holds true for any other Amazon pen steals that are posted. I don’t have any hx with Amazon purchasing writing related merchandise, maybe that is the reason I cannot land any steals. 

DesAster-

Is your Amazon.com default delivery address in the United States?  Amazon will normally only show you products that a particular seller will ship to that address.

Amazon and floating currency and the dollar's strength against the yen.  New price for the 21K Sailor: $112.73

And, for what it's worth, I purchased a Sailor Standard 14K nib in Extra Fine.  The nib needed serious 'micro-mesh' treatment to get it smooth....out of the box is was eating into every type of paper that it came in contact with.

So, my advice is to get a fine, or better yet:  Medium Fine.

On 6/8/2024 at 7:37 PM, RobertJ said:

out of the box is was eating into every type of paper that it came in contact with.

My Sailor EFs don't do that. Not even on copy paper. 

I agree with Mke, and I have several Sailor 14K and 21K EF nibs.  But it is a very fine nib, way more than a western EF, so I do understand how some might not like that. 

Sailor PGS with 14k M nib is $72 right now: https://a.co/d/j2ig2RL

-Groucho Marx

So if I wanted a Sailor and never had one and am looking for a jumping off point to potentially buy further up the chain, would a ProFit 21 with MF nib a good choice? I’d like to take advantage of the yen/$ issue, but have no idea what is what. Sailor has just so many different models/variations and time appears of the essence (otherwise I would have spend the time and done a deep dive; so my apologies being seemingly lazy). 

Thanks