Parker Vacumatic Cage Match

MartinTenbones

I've been at a few vacumatics lately.  Some have been as easy as can be.   I have this one however that has been quite the battle.

I can not for the life of me get the nib section to thread out.   In fact I gave up and soaked the back end in naptha so I could get the pump out which was its own battle.

I did get it out and cleaned up when what happens next?  I since out the barrel and in doing so the breather tube has decided to drop out.   Or it's broken off but I think it's just slid out.

Next step is to tap out the nib and feed and get that back together.   If it isn't broken off then I suspect that's my only choice.

Second question though.  In the picture of the pump (which is a straightline as I understand it) I think that the flat price is intended to be right through to the other side so it shows on both sides.    Can anyone correct me on that?

I'll be pleased once I have this one back together and working.

Thanks everyone for your help on this and the other questions I have had on these vacumatics

In then pictures below you won't see the breather.  It's soaking in pen flush at the moment 

PXL_20240507_222449868.jpg

PXL_20240507_224206843.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MartinTenbones

• Ron Z

• FarmBoy

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The flat bar should go through both the pump tube and the cone. It should stick out just a smidge on both sides of the cone by a more or less equal amount.  The point of an Xacto knife can help you line things up.  The thread bushing should fit over the back end of the cone and hold that bar in place.

You can reset the breather tube in the end of the section when you take it out to clean the nib unit, and scrub the inside of the barrel.  I  use a thin soft brush to clean them out.  A pain sprayer cleaning brush from Harbor Freight works.  They're about $5.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Thanks Ron.  I'll get that piece back in the pump then.

As for sthe nib section I think it's glued.   I've been at it for a week now.  Heat cycles.  Rapido-eze,  I've tried applying naptha to the joint with a paint brush but it will not move.   I'll have to knock out the nib and feed I'm afraid.  I'll heat it gently and I have a proper nib block.  

It's been quite the battle!

Keep after the section so you don’t regret removing the nib. 

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.