yazeh

De Atramentis Artist Orange

This is similar to the Document line but has less of its properties.  inks and can be mixed and matched with either Artist or Document lines. 

It's an anemic orange or a punchy yellow depending how you see it. It’s wet, lubrication slightly below average and is not suitable for cheap thin papers, nor letter writing, unless you’re passive aggressive. 😛

It did weirdly stain a few spots on my already badly stained Kakuno, had flow issues with it and the Kanwrite ( I had to prime to feed) but with the Lamy Safari it worked fine. 

It’s almost impossible to scan.  Photo shows best the colour of the ink. 

It’s best on Midori cream paper where the shading is most prominent. 

Surprisingly with B/ 1.1. nibs it becomes paler. 

I believe this is best used for art work and Wabbits :D 🐰🥕

You can use it both as yellow or orange in washes or mix it with Artist/ Document Red to give it a bit of oomph. It's slightly cheaper than Document inks (the bottles are 50 ml as opposed to the 45 ml of the documents). 

Let’s start with the chroma:

large.Chroma-DEAtramentisArtistOrange.jpeg.d75181697b7bfa0accbb74ab8f1555e0.jpeg

Writing Samples:

large.Rhodia-DeAr-Orange.jpeg.a48db957989a6444ffeb3b38753e081b.jpeg

large.Midori-ArtistOrange.jpeg.6296e3786464e46a2092f097782a33fd.jpeg

large.TR68gr-ArtistOrange.jpeg.5556a1fa5356b2138aa1ad8e561d7452.jpeg

large.Hammermill-ArtistOrange.jpg.ebc062ddc48c80e1a45796345d01cd63.jpg

Photo:

Note the difference in colour.

large.DeAtramentisArtistOrange.jpg.d4e9ffbcd385f69fa6d8288ea268bbd5.jpg

Comparison:

Note how the scanner has deformed almost all oranges. :( 

large.Comparison-Artist-DocumentOrange.jpeg.f1e3aaa59c6204ff7b4ceaea532ab677.jpeg

Water test:

For animal lovers, no felines were hurt during this test ;) 

large.Watertest-ArtistOrange.jpeg.dcea0d63e37ca1031a62797c2f9bbe64.jpeg

and finally an art work, entitled September 19, 1914

It's based on the Reims Cathedral  Smiling Angel statue, which was decapitated during the early days of World War I by a flaming beam. Reims cathedral is significant in French history as its were the French Kings were crowned. 

The statue was restored and is still smiling :) 

Inks used, De Atramentis Artist Orange,

Platinum Carbon Black,

J Herbin Bleu des profondeurs 

september_19__1914__by_yazeh1_dhblcbm-41

·      Pens used: Pilot Kakuno Ef, Lamy (EF/F/M/B, BB), Kanwrite with Ahab flex. 

·      What I liked: On Midori (Ef-M nibs), using for washes. It can pass both for yellow and orange. 

·      What I did not like: Writing with it. I could barely read myself. 

·       What some might not like: It’s a pigment ink, it’s pale. 

·      Shading: Surprisingly yes.

·      Ghosting: Yes, on cheap paper. 

·      Bleed through: Yes, on cheap paper.

·      Flow Rate: Wet

·      Lubrication: Slightly belove average. 

·      Nib Dry-out: Did not notice. 

·      Start-up:  It didn’t like Kakuno or Kanwrite. 

·      Saturation:  Pastel

·      Shading Potential: Surprisingly quite good. 

·      Sheen: No. 

·      Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Did not notice. 

·      Nib Creep / “Crud”: Did not notice.

·      Staining (pen): Yes a few spots on the Kakuno.  

·      Clogging: Did not notice.

·      Cleaning: The more it stays in your pain the more difficult it’ll be. 

·      Water resistance: Excellent

·       Availability: 50 ml bottles. 

Please don't hesitate to share your experience, writing samples or any other comments. The more the merrier  :)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yazeh

• LizEF

• Surlyprof

• Lithium466

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for your review :) Angelic kitty? Yes!

(ah, another orangeish ink I can avoid 😂)

2 minutes ago, Lithium466 said:

Thank you for your review :) 

🙏

Angelic kitty? Yes!

:)

(ah, another orangeish ink I can avoid 😂)

:D

19 minutes ago, yazeh said:

It's an anemic orange or a punchy yellow depending how you see it. It’s wet, lubrication slightly below average and is not suitable for cheap thin papers, nor letter writing, unless you’re passive aggressive. 😛

I love the idea that you could leave people wondering, “Uh oh… what did I do to deserve one of his orange letters?!”

1 hour ago, Surlyprof said:

I love the idea that you could leave people wondering, “Uh oh… what did I do to deserve one of his orange letters?!”

The problem is I won't be able to re-read myself either, so it's both masochistic and passive aggressive :D

5 hours ago, yazeh said:

It's an anemic orange or a punchy yellow depending how you see it.

:lol: I would have hoped "Artist Orange" would at least be boldly orange...

5 hours ago, yazeh said:

or mix it with Artist/ Document Red to give it a bit of oomph

Ah, problem solved... ;)

The chroma is sort of like a candle flame... :)

Fun quotes! :D I like all that shading in the photo - very nice.  But yeah, the color is a little pale for written work.  (Excuse me while I stumble around feeling for eyedrops after being blinded by that swatch of Electric Orange!  Sheesh, give a girl a warning next time! :yikes:)

OK, recovered now...  That orange kitty on the swatch is going to be a handful, you know - orange kitties always are... :D  Oh, and apparently impervious to water, too...  But what on earth is that mousey doing?  Oooohhhh, shooting an arrow at that ball of yarn on kitty's head, got it.  Well, let's hope he doesn't hit our brave kitty!

Love the kitty-angel!  Thank you for the history lesson!  I went and looked, and now I'm thinking that angel is the first documented example of someone doing a "Yes!" fist pump! :lol:  Must have been like a quick rollercoaster ride for mousey. :D

Thank you, @yazeh, for a very fun review!

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

:lol: I would have hoped "Artist Orange" would at least be boldly orange...

It's boldly yellow :D

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

Ah, problem solved... ;)

😛

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

The chroma is sort of like a candle flame... :)

Yep. To think I'll be doing Document Orange soon. Yuck ;) 

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

Fun quotes! :D I like all that shading in the photo - very nice.  But yeah, the color is a little pale for written work. 

I used it in my Peter Pauper journal (Absorbent /thick paper). I couldn't re-read myself. Either I'm getting old quickly, or the colour is off :D 

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

(Excuse me while I stumble around feeling for eyedrops after being blinded by that swatch of Electric Orange!  Sheesh, give a girl a warning next time! :yikes:)

Sorry 😎 I'll put a warning sign next time. Actually the colour of Electric Orange is so off. It's nothing like that :( 

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

OK, recovered now...  That orange kitty on the swatch is going to be a handful, you know - orange kitties always are... :D  Oh, and apparently impervious to water, too...  But what on earth is that mousey doing?  Oooohhhh, shooting an arrow at that ball of yarn on kitty's head, got it.  Well, let's hope he doesn't hit our brave kitty!

Well, he's forcing Kitty to take the water test challenge. @InesF was worried about the cat, so I put a bit of William Tell, type drama :D 

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

Love the kitty-angel!  Thank you for the history lesson!  I went and looked, and now I'm thinking that angel is the first documented example of someone doing a "Yes!" fist pump! :lol:  Must have been like a quick rollercoaster ride for mousey. :D

Oh yes. A statue can be recovered. restored, a live mouse, that's a different story. ;) It's a fascinating story. The worst part was during the fire, the lead roof melted dripping from the gargoyles' mouth

th?id=OIP.Gyo6l7zYDNWMN_ZE31xKUwHaE4%26p

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

Thank you, @yazeh, for a very fun review!

A pleasure, as always 🙏. Btw, I was looking through my initial sketches and had done one, which looked like Makhabesh coming out of the highfalutin wizard's office (with Diamine Vivaldi) :D

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

I used it in my Peter Pauper journal (Absorbent /thick paper). I couldn't re-read myself. Either I'm getting old quickly, or the colour is off :D 

Let's all just agree to agree that the color is off. ;)

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

Actually the colour of Electric Orange is so off. It's nothing like that :( 

Some colors refuse to be scanned or photographed - very annoying!  I feel your pain (frequently!). :)

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

Well, he's forcing Kitty to take the water test challenge. @InesF was worried about the cat, so I put a bit of William Tell, type drama :D 

:lol:  Mean old Mousey!

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

The worst part was during the fire, the lead roof melted dripping from the gargoyles' mouth

Whoa!  That's kinda freaky.

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

Btw, I was looking through my initial sketches and had done one, which looked like Makhabesh coming out of the highfalutin wizard's office (with Diamine Vivaldi) :D

:lol: Fabulous!  You have to share this with us!  I recently drew a map of the wizardlands (eventually, you need a map!).  I don't want to make it public yet as there's a sort of pseudo spoiler on it, but I guess I could just remove the text from that part of the map.  (It's nothing fancy, just a pencil drawing that probably is not to scale - I just put things roughly where they would be in relation to each other...)  (Of course, all this belongs in one of my review threads, not yours, but there it is... :) )

It does look like a candle flame!  (Though the vomiting gargoyle is quite disturbing.)

Orange is one of my favorite colors, but I'm with Liz: mah eyes! This is a pretty color in the right light, though.

Is Mousie playing William Tell with the orange on Kitteh's head?

It's good to see the Smiling Angel restored to proper form. 😉

Thanks as always, @yazeh, for illuminating an ink that probably won't be added to my arsenal. But now I do want to eat an orange, or drink one! 

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

8 hours ago, yazeh said:

The problem is I won't be able to re-read myself either, so it's both masochistic and passive aggressive :D

🤣

45 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

It does look like a candle flame!

@LizEF eagle eyes :)

(Though the vomiting gargoyle is quite disturbing.)

It is! :(

Orange is one of my favorite colors, but I'm with Liz: mah eyes! This is a pretty color in the right light, though.

It could be, in a abstract terms :D

Is Mousie playing William Tell with the orange on Kitteh's head?

You got it! Bravo 👏

It's good to see the Smiling Angel restored to proper form. 😉

:)

Thanks as always, @yazeh, for illuminating an ink that probably won't be added to my arsenal. But now I do want to eat an orange, or drink one! 

Or have a carrot :D and thanks for your comments 🙏

5 hours ago, LizEF said:

:lol: Fabulous!  You have to share this with us!  I recently drew a map of the wizardlands (eventually, you need a map!).  I don't want to make it public yet as there's a sort of pseudo spoiler on it, but I guess I could just remove the text from that part of the map.  (It's nothing fancy, just a pencil drawing that probably is not to scale - I just put things roughly where they would be in relation to each other...)  (Of course, all this belongs in one of my review threads, not yours, but there it is... :) )

THat's good to know. Would your stories one needs a map ;)

I'll post the photo tomorrow on your thread (If it's alright) of the Sailor Blue review of a surly sphinx ;)

40 minutes ago, yazeh said:

THat's good to know. Would your stories one needs a map ;)

I'll post the photo tomorrow on your thread (If it's alright) of the Sailor Blue review of a surly sphinx ;)

:D More than OK! Looking forward to you.

Thank you, @yazeh, for reviewing more of the deAtramentis Artist inks, for the comprehensive information, for your artwork and, especially, while having several issues with this ink! :thumbup:

I would not use this ink for drawing, although it can have a use for making "invisible" lines if you add a colourful wash afterwards. Mixing it with other artist inks may be an option, but not sure if it is a good option. Why not buy the colour you like to have?

Only Wilhelm Tell - or similar crazy individuals - can shoot an arrow so close to cats head! 🙄 I feel more and more need and urgency to rescue water-test-cat ... ;) :) :) 

One life!

9 hours ago, LizEF said:

:D More than OK! Looking forward to you.

Done! Hope I did Makhabesh justice ;)

3 hours ago, InesF said:

Thank you, @yazeh, for reviewing more of the deAtramentis Artist inks, for the comprehensive information, for your artwork and, especially, while having several issues with this ink! :thumbup:

Thank you 🙏

3 hours ago, InesF said:

I would not use this ink for drawing, although it can have a use for making "invisible" lines if you add a colourful wash afterwards. Mixing it with other artist inks may be an option, but not sure if it is a good option. Why not buy the colour you like to have?

Exactly. I have a bit of red in a pen, I might try and see ;)

3 hours ago, InesF said:

Only Wilhelm Tell - or similar crazy individuals - can shoot an arrow so close to cats head! 🙄 I feel more and more need and urgency to rescue water-test-cat ... ;) :) :) 

That's why I put the info that no one was hurt. It's all staged :D