New Wing Sung: 632 Ebonite Piston-filler

Dan Carmell

My favorite vendor alerted me to a new pen offered today, the 632. It’s an ebonite piston-filler with a #8 18K nib. Offered in gold or white-plated trim, the white-plated pens sport an 18K nib, also plated in a white precious metal, a first for this series. 

Nibs are offered in EF, F, M, and B, with multiple long knife sizes as before. Interestingly, while Heartbeat nibs, plain or long knife, are on offer, the photos show ‘1947’ Wing Sung nibs that are tipped as long knives—I believe the previous long knife nibs were all Jun Lai heartbeat nibs. 

$260 for the regular nibs; $300 for the long knife nibs. The vendor is 365Days Stationary Store. I’ve ordered it in red, gold trim, EF heartbeat nib. 

IMG_2540.jpeg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dan Carmell

• FriendAmos

• Shanghai Knife Dude

• Scrawler

What does "long knife" mean in this context?

4 hours ago, Scrawler said:

What does "long knife" mean in this context?

‘Long Knife’ is a translation of a Chinese term used to indicate a specific nib type. It is roughly like what is called an ‘architect’s point’ except the Chinese version allows additional line variation according to how high you hold the pen. So where a stub or italic point makes a wide vertical stroke and a narrow horizontal stroke, the Long Knife does the opposite. Part of the interest in the west in this style of nib is that an architect’s point is a specialty nib ground to shape, so it is 

more expensive and harder to come by. You may see another Chinese nib type referred to as a ‘Blade’ nib and this is much like the Sailor Zoom nib, I believe. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, FriendAmos said:

What is the posted length?  Thanks.

Metric specs are given in the diagram above. 

On 6/15/2024 at 9:32 AM, FriendAmos said:

What is the posted length?  Thanks.

no maker would ever post this measure. only enthurist does. 

I measure mine with 161mm (posted) but this pen does not post. the cap just never sits on. 

• 2 months later...
On 6/15/2024 at 1:12 PM, Dan Carmell said:

Metric specs are given in the diagram above. 

They don't include the posted length. 🙂

On 6/16/2024 at 9:15 PM, Shanghai Knife Dude said:

no maker would ever post this measure. only enthurist does. 

I measure mine with 161mm (posted) but this pen does not post. the cap just never sits on. 

Maybe you got a dud.  🙂   

I have now acquired two of these, and they post quite nicely.  They would be too short if they did not.

• 3 weeks later...