Looking for Victorian and Edwardian handwriting practice books

TheFountainPenOfYouth

Hello,

I work with a lot of historical handwriting from the Victorian and Edwardian period and I am looking for a workbook or practice book from that era. I am not really looking for any fancy Copperplate or Spencerian scripts. As a historian, I have seen the handwriting of at least a hundred different people from the era, mostly British royalty and politicians, and I rarely if ever see anything closely resembling those scripts being used in their correspondence.

Should I try Vere Foster?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arkanabar

• Mercian

• TheFountainPenOfYouth

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/24/2024 at 12:55 AM, TheFountainPenOfYouth said:

mostly British royalty and politicians, and I rarely if ever see anything closely resembling those scripts being used in their correspondence.

Well, as Copperplate/Spencerian were the hands that were beaten into taught to/expected of the underlings/functionaries who were preparing official/commercial records, are you honestly surprised that you have found that their Overlords didn’t write in those hands?

Those people were issuing orders, not complying with them 😉😁

That said, learning Vere Foster ‘Civil Service’ script is a good place to start, and the aforementioned IAMPETH.com is an absolutely fantastic resource for other scripts/hands of the period :thumbup:

large.Mercia45x27IMG_2024-09-18-104147.PNG.4f96e7299640f06f63e43a2096e76b6e.PNG  Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.  spacer.png