Majohn enters the #8 Nib game: Majohn 139

Dan Carmell

I’m told that Majohn is introducing the P139 this coming weekend. It is being introduced in two sizes, apparently, with a #6 in the smaller pen and a distinctly new (as the photo shows) #8 in the larger pen. 

The clip and overall shape may be vaguely familiar (lol) but the cap band is distinctive. Are the colors shown the only colors? I don’t know! What’s the pricing? Don’t know that either!

I did see additional photos of brass piston mechanism but didn’t think they worth sharing. 

I am pretty confident that the Majohn ‘Hemingway’ will be a popular pen!

IMG_2478.jpeg

IMG_2477.jpeg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dan Carmell

• J120

• Mech-for-i

• Karmachanic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well am ok with them going the no.8 sizing but am certainly not ok with their style piracy .. it's not like they cannot design their own but intentionally pirate a design right down to the last bit to me is no way to push a brand , but sadly , I too think they will just made loads of business with this

Am ok with the like of the 136 , it's generic enough that no one should be criticized for the design but this one and then some ...

The A1 has many happy owners.  Given that it's a Chinese brand, and that they are not breaking any Chinese laws, along with me not having £3000 that I don't know what to do with ....... Who knows!.  It could become good friends with my Dolcevita.

Add lightness and simplicate.

15 hours ago, Mech-for-i said:

well am ok with them going the no.8 sizing but am certainly not ok with their style piracy .. it's not like they cannot design their own but intentionally pirate a design right down to the last bit to me is no way to push a brand , but sadly , I too think they will just made loads of business with this

Am ok with the like of the 136 , it's generic enough that no one should be criticized for the design but this one and then some ...

Arguably, the 136 is closer to the MB Proust than this is to the MB Hemingway. Having said that, this isn’t an issue to me—pen makers have been stealing and copying designs from each other since before LE Waterman sued AA Waterman.

I'm a little disappoint that P139 is not like P136, it should be copying MB 149, not other models...  😆

I have just googled the original and man... if you are going to make such an obvious clone at least do it right. The slightly more tapered cap and the slightly less wimpy clip make a lot of aesthetic difference. What were you afraid of, being called a copycat? What a case of seeing and not understanding.

2 hours ago, Ermennda said:

I have just googled the original and man... if you are going to make such an obvious clone at least do it right. The slightly more tapered cap and the slightly less wimpy clip make a lot of aesthetic difference. What were you afraid of, being called a copycat? What a case of seeing and not understanding.

You know this pens are made to sell, right? Not to please collectors or satisfy some type of aesthetic criteria. The makers of these pens would find these discussions either humorous or a waste of time. 

The flagship Taobao prices are as follows:

#8 Nib=$32.31 

#6 Nib- $26.79

I would expect a 10-20 markup from the Amazon,  Aliexpress,  Ebay, and Etsy independent sellers.

Happy hunting. 

2 hours ago, J120 said:

The flagship Taobao prices are as follows:

#8 Nib=$32.31 

#6 Nib- $26.79

I would expect a 10-20 markup from the Amazon,  Aliexpress,  Ebay, and Etsy independent sellers.

Happy hunting. 

That’s more like it! May take a month or so to come down to near these prices, however. 

@Dan Carmell The A1-3 crowd is happy to be reminded they can do nib variety with hopes those mythical M,B, and BB nib units one day make it out of QC.