3 Birmingham Sheening Inks

dftr

I had a chance to pick up some great sheening inks from Birmingham.  They arrived packaged well and I wanted to share a little bit of the experience and joy!

These inks have supplanted Vinta and Wearingeul as my favorite.  Organic Studios inks were too sticky and reports of the ink smearing months later turned me away.  

I feel there are a lot of Blue inks that sheen Red or Pink so I was happy to try a different hue.  

Well as these came in 100 cc bottles (Emerald Fusion and Insterstellar Bronze)  and a 60cc bottle (Extradimensional Umber) it's a good thing I enjoy it!

BTW, I suspect they may make their inks in small batches so it may not be unusual for the order to ship a week or so after.  Their site didn't indicate the inks were in stock or in low supply, but fortunately

they respond quickly to emails and questions.  I have not seen much of these inks in reviews or on youtube so I wanted to share my experience.

So these are monster sheeners though in my pens relatively well behaved.

image.png.fdc44beb779a855d4aa4bc71f3a89ea1.png

This is Emerald Fusion on Copy Paper w/ it's nuclear green glow sheen.  

To my eye, there is no feathering or spread.  Despite using a heavy flowing ink in my broadest nib (outside the parralells)there was no bleed through

and the backside of the page was usable.

On Rhodia, the ink looks okay w/ a slightly more sheen but it was hard to capture.

image.png.9d9eed21a80499468a51778e92712d3c.png

BTW, here is my Opus 88 demonstrator with Emerald Fusion which has a crazy purple hue!

image.thumb.jpeg.1dfb0e5c66cd36dee4abb16d195b5d64.jpeg

You have to brave and foolish to put this kind of ink in a clear demonstrator, but I am happy to note that it all came out after I finished taking photos.

I did though add a pen cleaning soap to help swish out the green that seemed to hide behind the little plunger.  Definitely don't want to leave

this ink sitting around unused if you're worried about stains.

Finally, we come to Tomoe River

image.jpeg.4a279cce372e6e93fbac5eefb7fd3a79.jpeg

There is a bit more ghosting but again I'm using a xtra broad nib.

image.jpeg.94ddd1eb68a505398c2006aa81e29d0b.jpeg

BTW, there is hardly any water resistance (for all papers)... if you get a drop or two on the page, you can dab it and see what was written.  It's the only fault,

but I imagine it'd be like baystate blue levels of staining if it were resistant.  

I usually don't like greens, but I've taken to this and R&K Alt Gold Grun.  I'll add some pictures later of the other two inks.  

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dftr

• pucipatas

• antares1966

• Runnin_Ute

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I’ve hesitated on the emerald fusion, but I have several of their other non-sheen nor shimmer inks. I ordered more, and yes, it took awhile to ship out, but their inks are worth it to me. I’m particularly turned on to being able to mix and make my own colors. 

Also, this looks beautiful, but then green is one of my favorite colors. 

Ah I didn't know about mixing colors though I suspect only certain of their lines.

The relatively trouble free nature of the sheening inks makes me curious to try a shimmering one from their lineup (my pen relatively clean and transparent).

The other inks also cleaned out well without drama though they were not in demonstrators (the FP w/ a convertor also is clear after a few rinses)

image.thumb.jpeg.058c625c19edd10be56c8a5ea68e0935.jpeg

This ink is my favorite of the three: Interstellar Bronze

image.jpeg.e8f7e5d49fa6755b7bec813e07e52898.jpeg

The sheen again is amazing and displays better on Rhodia compared to emerald fusion

image.png.07833a3ee5b122acea5ed38c58c9d2bc.png

On TR w/ typical ghosting

image.jpeg.6224b3806835fe16059dc17278c6d53d.jpeg

with (redundant but amazing) sheen

image.jpeg.e578a03c5b3e89fcad7ac71f3fdd2393.jpeg

image.jpeg

And finally XtraDimensional Umber, a great name, is a solid brown color that I would be fine using just as it were.  

The sheen is a bit more subtle but definitely present.

image.png.9908fc2943f605b2267c331998a769ee.png

It was not possible for me to capture a good picture of the sheen w/ my Rhodia paper as above,

but TR as usual was lovely:

image.jpeg.86d0d0d83bb165d594a5c797d801d4ca.jpeg

image.jpeg.985f104411e7b50f5a804e591a6e3c54.jpeg

I hadn’t been on the Birmingham website for quite a while…wow they’ve really upped their game!  I found several bottles that are now in my watch list.

I will not buy more BPC ink, I will not buy more BPC ink!

I want all of those now. 

Emerald Fusion when I cleaned the pen. This was just swishing it in a cup of tap water.

It's been a fun ink to use. Although not in a pen right now.

20231220_212450.jpg

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Bearing Grease does the same when rinsed. Turns out it’s made with interstellar bronze too.