I just found this mini-documentary on YouTube and found it fascinating so I thought I'd share it. 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2ouvenir

• Karmachanic

• Number99

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I am not an expert, I have done a little research and put together a summary of it.

It seems that ink sticks are all handmade even today.

Because the glue rots when it is warm, the workshop can only knead soot in the cold winter.

Therefore, the amount of ink sticks that can be produced in one workshop is limited.

The raw materials for soot include 手焚き油煙 "hand-burning oil soot" (50,000-60,000 Japanese yen per kg), which is extracted by burning vegetable oil and pine trees, and carbon black (several hundred Japanese yen per kg), which is a byproduct of oil mining.

As for the price of ink sticks, the former is expensive while the latter is inexpensive, equivalent to US$1 each for student use.

The skill of the technicians who make them also differs between high-end and low-cost products.

The red Sumi-ink ink sticks used by brush-calligraphy teachers to correct their students' work are manufactured in a specialized workshop. This is because the manufacturing process is different and mixing the black with the red would ruin both the tools and the facility. It also takes more than twice as long to produce because the sticks are harder to harden.

There is only one workshop in Japan that makes red ink sticks.

Incidentally, 墨汁 Sumi-ink, which is sold as a liquid ink, is also made from carbon black and other materials, and became popular after the size of these particles was successfully adjusted.

Some people have collections of dozens of these expensive inksticks. In fact, Chinese inksticks, both old and new, are beautiful and varied in shape and decoration.

The fact that these collectors create demand may be one reason for the existence of extremely expensive ink sticks.

Some links. (China and Taiwan.)

https://baike.baidu.com/item/墨/3669910?_swebfr=220011

https://www.031.com.tw/cc-46

I wonder if these sumi ink sticks store better than fountain pen inks because they don't contain water.

"It's challenging to provide an exact estimate of the longevity of Sumi ink sticks because it can vary depending on factors such as the quality of the ink stick, storage conditions, and frequency of use. However, under optimal conditions (cool, dry storage away from sunlight), Sumi ink sticks can often remain usable for several decades. Some high-quality ink sticks may even last for over a century if properly cared for. Generally, you can expect Sumi ink sticks to remain in good condition for at least 20-30 years, and potentially much longer with appropriate storage and maintenance."

"As an estimation, high-quality fountain pen inks, when stored properly, can typically remain usable for around 5 to 10 years or more. However, this is a general estimate and the actual lifespan of fountain pen ink can vary depending on the factors mentioned earlier. Some fountain pen inks may last longer than 10 years if they are well-preserved and regularly used, while others may start to degrade sooner, particularly if they are exposed to unfavorable storage conditions or if they contain certain ingredients prone to deterioration."

So I guess on average yes?

Except where in NA would I be able to buy these ink sticks?! Chinatown? Online?

AliExpress?

It shows some ink sticks in a price range that I assume is probably the same grade as made by Carbon Black.

I remember using cheap ink sticks when I was a kid, but they were very stiff and took a lot of time and effort to ink.

Although I have no experience with this, one way to comfortably use a hard ink stick is to clean the inkstone.

Polish the inkstone's ink-polishing surface with a special whetstone or #500 water sandpaper.

Or acquire inkstone identification methods and target abandoned Chinese, Taiwanese, Korean, and Japanese souvenir relics on the secondhand market.

This is for domestic use in China, but may be used to identify value and usage.

https://m.paizi10.com/paihang/motiao.html

Also made in Japan. (For domestic use in Japan, no overseas sales.)

https://shoyu-net.jp/?mode=cate&cbid=2113871&csid=0

Changes in inkstone over time include deformation, cracking. (Note the dry and hot environment.)

Since glue (gelatin) is an animal protein, it can be a source of nutrients for mold. (Beware of moisture.)

I recently acquired a 1982 ink stick on the used goods market for a reasonable price.

I have not used it yet, but when I open the wooden box, it smells very nice, like perfume.