Initial Review of Majohn T6 City Light fountain pen

donnweinberg

I am providing an initial review of the Majohn (aka Moonman) model T6 "City Light" fountain pen.  The T6 is available in 6 versions, divided into 2 overlay styles.  I am showing only the "City Light" overlay style here, but all 6 versions of the T6 have the same size, weight, shape, etc.  I purchased the three T6 City Light fountain pens from an Ebay seller in China.  I inked up the one with the clear acrylic, illustrated as the right-most of the three shown below and called the "Yu Ye."  The amber acrylic one on the left is called the "Deng Huo," and the light blue acrylic one in the middle is called the "Mu Lan."  The overlay is stainless steel ("SS").

T6-3acryliccolors01.thumb.jpeg.0f9be056185d55da5d16cea3584db3d7.jpeg

The pen is a piston-filler and features an iridium-tipped SS nib that I purchased in a Medium width.  The pen, full of ink, weighs 54g, and the cap contributes 22g to that total.  The length capped is 5.625" and 5.25 uncapped.  The cap does not post on the end of the barrel, which has the piston turner there.  The piston is an internal piston, which turns very smoothly.  I filled it with Diamine Ancient Copper ink, and it wrote immediately, but even better after I set it down for a few minutes to allow the collector and feed to do their work.  The nib is firm without audible feedback and feels smooth on good paper.  The pen lays down a western medium line.

Here are more photos, the first three of which come from Majohn's own marketing materials.

T6-YuYe(clear)01.thumb.jpeg.9fbfc089af306a114770ca3d3634f4f1.jpeg

T6-YuYe(clear)02.jpeg.3e04ddf7c5949eec707b2db74fa93b64.jpeg

T6-YuYe(clear)03winkbottle.thumb.jpeg.8d590ccbc2a52e26a7a23c09e1e87c8d.jpeg

T6-YuYe(clear)04capcloseup.thumb.jpeg.0d7022b6465b68e90d54c118b2439e7a.jpeg

T6-YuYe(clear)05barrelcloseup.thumb.jpeg.3d5c8b6a47ae7c6d26e45f2ac51269c6.jpeg

T6-YuYe(clear)06nibcaptop.thumb.jpeg.fe8a15c3d305b1a7880cb0ef24a1b6c4.jpeg

T6-YuYe(clear)07uncapped.thumb.jpeg.8d508eb520953a4960216a5bd705ca6f.jpeg

I was attracted by this pen because of its unique overlay.  As a picture "is worth a thousand words," I won't belabor the point by "using my words" to describe it.  Were it not for this unique and attractive overlay, I wouldn't have any particular interest in this pen, as there is nothing truly special about it otherwise.  When writing with the pen, I can feel some of the somewhat "rougher" parts of the inside of the overlay on my thumb, but nothing is sharp or likely to cause cuts.  Had this been a much more expensive pen, then there likely would have been more rounding/smoothness to the open areas.  But at the price paid, I am more than satisfied.

My initial impression, thus, is that this is a pen worth having for its unique appearance, but not for its writing characteristics.  In my next post, I will tell you what I paid for each of these three pens.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• donnweinberg

• Dan Carmell

• Jamerelbe

• pucipatas

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Each pen cost me $35.95, and shipping (SpeedPak) was free.  

An interesting looking pen - not sure if it's for me, but thanks for showing it off!

Interesting design. What’s the barrel diameter comparatively speaking to other pens in your experience?

8 hours ago, donnweinberg said:

Great review! These didn’t get a lot of attention when they first came out so it’s nice to see them reviewed now. 

I’ve wondered how well the traffic lights ‘jewels’ in the clip will wear. I know from vintage pens that fragile materials take the most wear over time. I certainly agree the concept is unique and clever for a skeleton pen.