Kaweco Sport Piston

Fluegelfeder

11 minutes ago, Merrick said:

If they release the piston filler with the same quality of nib in plastic at a significantly lower price point I’ll get one, or maybe three!

It's the same steel nib as in the current €20 plastic pens? 👀 I have not liked a Kaweco nib out the box yet...

Edit: Were you just excited about the new feed apparently being wetter?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fluegelfeder

• RJS

• Doc Dan

• jchch1950

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, RJS said:

It's the same steel nib as in the current €20 plastic pens? 👀 I have not liked a Kaweco nib out the box yet...

Edit: Were you just excited about the new feed apparently being wetter?

All the reviews I’ve seen have said the piston Sport has a smoother and better tuned nib than previous Sports. It’s possible that Kaweco is simply taking more time to tune these nibs because they know they need to put their best foot forward. 

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” 

-Groucho Marx

The only complaint I have about mine is the threading for the cap.  Mine seems to loosen up fairly easily.  Of course that could just be the one I got.  But other than that I can’t say a single negative thing so far.  I keep it in my pocket notebook all the time.

I stayed away from the Kaweco sport until I could get a semi-flex piston...12 G ...'60-70 pen. 14k nib. Screw on piston cap like the many of the older '30-early '50's piston pens....trying to get around the Pelikan patent.

One gasket, not the two of modern.

The other is a semi-flex 32 MB, both won in the same live auction.

Both from the same era.

TfeNm1c.jpg

I'm glad Kaweco is making a piston pen again.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

1 hour ago, Merrick said:

All the reviews I’ve seen have said the piston Sport has a smoother and better tuned nib than previous Sports. It’s possible that Kaweco is simply taking more time to tune these nibs because they know they need to put their best foot forward. 

That's interesting. It is the same nib, so perhaps at the much higher price they pay someone to tune the nibs? Perhaps I should ask them- they are based only 10 minutes away from my home...

5 hours ago, RJS said:

That's interesting. It is the same nib, so perhaps at the much higher price they pay someone to tune the nibs? Perhaps I should ask them- they are based only 10 minutes away from my home...

Please let us know the answer.

I tested one in my local B&M. The nib seemed smoother than the regular Sport nib. It was wetter, too, and that probably had something to do with it. I am tempted.

3 hours ago, jchch1950 said:

Please let us know the answer.

I had a look at their website, and they're open for visitors on Wednesdays. Will try to pop along next week. :) Obviously no idea if I'll get to speak with anyone that knows the answers to such questions.

Yesterday I dropped by a trusty B&M store to see if they had it, and they did and allowed me to check it. I must say I found it incredibly light, more than the other AL sports I have, but it looked well constructed, very good craftmanship. They had several nib widths, so now I am pondering which nib would suit me better.

For leisure writing I'd get a stub, but for note taking I prefer an F, and lately I am using pens more for sketching, so it is a difficult decision. Anyway, I've been waiting already too long for Kaweco to release a modern Sport piston filler, it is about time to get one.

Now, if only they'd make a metal Liliput piston filler.... :) It would likely have to be snap-on posting (maybe  a la Aurora Hastil or Lamy CP1) but I'd rather trade that in for the filling convenience. Well, dreaming is free...

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.