Water tests of seven purple inks including the new Lamy Dark Lilac (2024)

Alogusz

Here are some water tests of the new Lamy Dark Lilac (2024) along with Herbin Poussier De Lune, DeAtramentis Doc Violet, Tramol Monet Purple, and from Noodler's: Black Sawn in Aus Roses, North African Violet, Mata Hari's Cordial.

First up is the Lamy Dark Lilac on a sheet of Fuutreo 5x8 notepad paper. I can't remember how long I let the ink dry on this sheet, maybe an hour or two.

Slide074b.jpg.c9e5e9865d259b43d3903759cada5665.jpg

Next is Dark Lilac along with 6 other purple inks.

The top part has the inks on the paper the test sheet itself was printed on, Ledesma Nat Sugarcane paper.

The bottom part used Rhodia dot grid paper.

Slide075b.thumb.jpg.1c9e0d8db6225f12c7ae4ffa92c6e1ab.jpg

Now here is the ink after 24 hours for the Lamy and a few days for the other inks (I printed and inked up the sheet while waiting for the Lamy to arrive.)

I filled up the sink and dipped the sheet into the water and let it soak for about a minute or so.

Slide076b.thumb.jpg.8468c7170214fff10819b004d30226e4.jpg

The Herbin didn't fare too well after getting wet, especially on the Rhodia paper.

The Noodlers, DeAtramentis and Tramol all held up and the Dark Lilac was still there but definitely affected by the water.

This is the sheet with the before and after combined.

.Slide076bcd.thumb.jpg.af8872b40ee40454da3a0a9cb1fec2d2.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• RedPie

• amberleadavis

• inkstainedruth

• 1 month later...

How does this Lamy Dark Lilac of 2024 compare with their Dark Lilac LE of 2016 -- over and above its water-solubility? The LE looks much lighter and much more brilliant... more like lilac!

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thank you @Alogusz!

Interesting to see different inks on different papers and how they survive. 

• 3 months later...

Very cool. Thank you!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

@lapis I saw a swab of the new version of Dark Lilac at the Baltimore/Washingtom show in March, and IIRC, it seemed to also have some sheen to it (which I don't particularly remember from the original formulation).  Admittedly, it didn't actually wow me the way the original version did (and I'm now kicking myself that I didn't order a third bottle when I had a chance...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

This is great information.  I did a similar test at the end of last year but I didn’t think to try them on different papers.  I really appreciate the rigor you put into this.  Very informative.  Thanks.