Has anyone tested Hebin's new Paris collection?

Claes

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mercian

• yazeh

• inkstainedruth

• Claes

Never heard of this line before now.  

Clicked on the link that Claes posted, but since my French is pretty much non-existent, it wasn't clear what the different colors in the line would be.

I've liked some of their 1670 and 1798 inks, and Eclat de Saphir is my go-to ink for more problematic fill systems, like the capillary fill Parker 61s.  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

29 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

Never heard of this line before now.  

Clicked on the link that Claes posted, but since my French is pretty much non-existent, it wasn't clear what the different colors in the line would be.

I've liked some of their 1670 and 1798 inks, and Eclat de Saphir is my go-to ink for more problematic fill systems, like the capillary fill Parker 61s.  

Color swatches here (and elsewhere) -

https://fountainfeder.de/en/Jacques-Herbin-Colours-of-Paris-Metropolitain-30ml/SW13778

@I-am-not-really-here Thanks!  That was really helpful, especially after I enlarged the photo to see the swatches better.

I can pass on the green one and probably the grey one.  The brown one is a possibility; the red one I'd have to see in person.  The blue?  That looked nice -- but also looked pretty close to Eclat de Saphir (which I already have); so I'd have to see a side by side.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

1 hour ago, inkstainedruth said:

Herbin doesn’t even show swatches, which hardly helps, and the text on the page that Claes linked to only contains Marketing-blurb about this set ‘taking you on a tour of the historic sights of Paris’, buuut…

The ‘Metropolitain’ appears to be intended as a green that mimics the shade used on the entrance signs for the Paris ‘Métro’ (subway system);

’Moulin Rouge’ is of course a reference to the famous ‘red windmill’ cabaret that features the saucy dancers;

‘Rue de la Verrerie’ appears to be a blue whose shade is intended to mimic that used as the background colour on the historic street-name plates;

‘les toits de Paris’ - a colour that I could not initially identify from the border of its label - is apparently meant to evoke the light blue-grey colour of the zinc-covered roofs (toits) of the houses of the famous Hausmann-designed boulevards of the capital, and;

the ink that has la tour Eiffel on its label is, I presume, intended to be a golden-brown of a similar colour to the paint on said landmark, and not to contain even the merest hint of rusty-brown, which might impugn this symbol of la Republique Française 😉

large.Mercia45x27IMG_2024-09-18-104147.PNG.4f96e7299640f06f63e43a2096e76b6e.PNG  Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.  spacer.png

13 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

The blue?  That looked nice -- but also looked pretty close to Eclat de Saphir

Isn’t Éclat de Saphir supposed to have hint of violet in it?
I remember seeing a set of written comparisons here which showed ÉdS looking very much like Pelikan Edelstein Sapphire.

That ‘Rue de la Verrerie’ seems (to my eye) to be a dark shade of ‘true blue’ that doesn’t have the tinge of violet that I get from my Edelstein Sapphire. And nor does it seem (to me) to ‘lean towards’ green either.
I think that I might like it 🙂

That said, I don’t have any ÉdS, so you are far better-placed to judge how closely they match each other :thumbup:

large.Mercia45x27IMG_2024-09-18-104147.PNG.4f96e7299640f06f63e43a2096e76b6e.PNG  Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.  spacer.png

Well, I've got Éclat de Saphir in the Peter Pauper Press Falling Leaves pen at the moment, and it looks like sapphire blue.  Not really seeing any purple undertones, like I might with a royal blue.

As I recall, the ink isn't remotely water or UV resistant, but it does behave well in the 61s, and seems to be behaving well so far in the Falling Leaves pen, which is c/c.  Good flow but not drippy.

edited for typos

5 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

Well, I've got Éclat de Saphir in the Peter Pauper Press Falling Leaves pen at the moment, and it looks like sapphire blue.  Not really seeing any purple undertones, like I might with a royal blue.

:thumbup:

Now this is being caustic of me -- I know, I know -- but judging from the lack of inspiration and/or information in the 2 above-mentioned sites, I wouldn't even give 'em a try.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Aren't they just other Herbin inks repackaged?

Red looks potentially lame but I like the blue.

• 6 months later...

I am testing them now. :) and will be posting reviews in October or November latest. 

The naming is a bit confusing, there are 4 landmarks and one street. I don't know why the chose Rue de la Verrerie, sure it's a very old street (11th century) but there doesn't seem to be anything remarkable about it. 

Another interesting thing is that these are Jacques Herbin inks, in J Herbin bottles format (10 ml/ 30 ml).

36 minutes ago, yazeh said:

I don't know why the chose Rue de la Verrerie, sure it's a very old street (11th century) but there doesn't seem to be anything remarkable about it. 

I assumed that its name refers to glass makers, and so perhaps it’s where Herbin used to have their glass bottles made.
But I just looked it up, and could find no mention of anything like that.

On the French version of Wikipedia (la véritable source de toute vérité 😉), apart from saying that the street is cited in a famous (and very old) poem that enumerates all the streets of Paris, it mentions that Rue de la Verrerie used to be the route that the King used when travelling to his chateau of the Louvre.
And thus was also the street used by foreign ambassadors when presenting themselves to the King. I.e. that it used to be the equivalent of Washington D.C.’s Pennsylvania Avenue.
So maybe that’s why they chose it 🤷‍♂️

Edit to add:

I have now found the answer!
According to…

https://www.jacquesherbin.com/produit/encres-decriture-rue-de-la-verrerie-collection-paris-2-2/

…Rue de la Verrerie was the address of Jacques Herbin in 1810.

3 hours ago, Mercian said:

Edit to add:

I have now found the answer!
According to…

https://www.jacquesherbin.com/produit/encres-decriture-rue-de-la-verrerie-collection-paris-2-2/

…Rue de la Verrerie was the address of Jacques Herbin in 1810.

Thank you so much. :thumbup:I should have read the description to the very end :)

I believe the colour is to emulate the enamelled street signs of Paris. 

I like really Herbin, but end not using it much.

Blue Pervenche is a favorite of mine, but the bottle is low...Same with Lie de Thee`.

Cafte des iles don't get used and it should be and I don't remember why.

I've a few murky Greens, that don't get used much, like Vert Empire.

The glitter ink stormy grey is one of my 'better' glitter inks.

There was 5-6 that I wanted before this new batch.

Too many dam good inks in the world. Every time I turn around...one of the enablers ...enables.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

@Bo Bo Olson if you like shading inks, Jacques Herbin Métopolitain is a shade monster. Of the two other inks,  Moulin Rouge and Rue de la Verrerie the shading is really prominent on Japanese Papers :) 

1 hour ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Too many dam good inks in the world. Every time I turn around...one of the enablers ...enables.

spacer.png

Hello Bo Bo. Come and play with us. Come and play. Forever… and ever… and ever… 😉