Any companies out there mixing ink to a Pantone or hex code?

Flaxmoore

I know Tekker did, but they seem to be defunct. My spouse is a seminarian at a school allied with the mighty University of California- Berkeley, and I'd like to find an ink to match the rather pleasant Berkeley Blue. Failing a company to make it, does anyone know of an inkmaker that sells c/m/y/k inks so I can mix my own?

Cal Alumni Association primary color palette: Berkeley Blue PANTONE 282 C100 M71 Y10 K47 HEX 003262 R0 G50 B98; California Gold PANTONE123 For uncoated stock, use PMS 115U C0 M23 Y91 K0 HEX FDB515 R253 G181 B21; Metallic Gold PANTONE 874 Reserved for formal events and special occasions. HEX BC9B6A R188 G155 B106

Physician- signing your scripts with Skrips!

I'm so tough I vacation in Detroit.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• arcfide

• Penguincollector

• inkstainedruth

I think there was a mixable ink kit from one of the Italian (?) makers which was specifically for CMYK mixing. I can also recommend Platinum's Mix-free ink line. They have way more colors than just CMYK, which is helpful, but more complex, because you have a wider base of colors to start with. I would recommend that you also add a bit of White Lightning to such an ink mixing kit, as Platinum's inks tend to be on the drier side, and while they have a dilutant for their inks, they don't have anything to make the inks wetter, which some people might prefer. 

I am sure that you could go to any of the major ink producers that others have gone to and get some inks, if you were willing to purchase in large enough quantities. 😉

That being said, there's some inks that look like they might be a good match:

InkSwatch.com - Search by specific color

I like that blue a lot, too, so now I'm tempted to mix it myself! 

The DeAtramentis document inks (pigmented) can be mixed, and they have CMYK (and White) offerings, but the magenta is called "Fuschia".  I have all five at home but, alas, have not made time to experiment.  My intent at the time was a pigmented permanent Asa-gao.  My first attempt was in the ballpark, but I haven't made time for anything beyond a first attempt.

On 2/7/2024 at 9:47 PM, arcfide said:

I think there was a mixable ink kit from one of the Italian (?) makers which was specifically for CMYK mixing.

I never heard about It: do you remember which Company was It??

12 hours ago, fabri00 said:

I never heard about It: do you remember which Company was It??

Looking it up, it was the Pineider Ink Alchemy set. I don't know if they are still being produced. 

23 minutes ago, arcfide said:

Looking it up, it was the Pineider Ink Alchemy set. I don't know if they are still being produced. 

Thanks. Is a set that has never been available in the shops, and has never been popular in Italy.

25 minutes ago, fabri00 said:

Thanks. Is a set that has never been available in the shops, and has never been popular in Italy.

My impression is that the "ink fever" markets aren't necessarily strong in Italy. Every Japanese big 3 offers lots of colors and varieties of inks, and even the Germans are pretty big on the various colors, whereas all the Italians that I've seen have stuck with extremely colorful and vibrant pens, while having extremely conservative choices in inks, relative to the rest. 

On 2/8/2024 at 12:32 AM, peninkapassionista said:

Nick Stewart has something that might do the trick, 4 mixablesbthat work for pens as well as art.

Here’s an article on his site:

https://www.amazon.com/Nutripaws-Digestive-Probiotics-Dogs-Treatment/dp/B09WGSYFKC?th=1

let us know how it goes!

Uh, when I looked at the link it was for dog food....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

6 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

Uh, when I looked at the link it was for dog food....

😁 I think that peninkapassionista may have meant to link to:

https://nickstewart.ink/2019/03/27/painting-with-nick-stewarts-4-colour-ink-mix-set/

From memory, either De Atramentis or Rohrer & Klingner used to make a set of mixable ‘CMYK’ inks, and of course Platinum sell a ‘mixable’ set of inks too.

large.Mercia45x27IMG_2024-09-18-104147.PNG.4f96e7299640f06f63e43a2096e76b6e.PNG  Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.  spacer.png

@Mercian -- Yeah, at times the stupee autocorrect is unbelievably incorrect.

@Chouffleur -- Just not going there.... :rolleyes:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Inkswatch dot com will find inks that are closest to a hex code if you want to go that route. 

Top 5 of 22 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

On 2/11/2024 at 6:22 PM, Mercian said:

😁 I think that peninkapassionista may have meant to link to:

https://nickstewart.ink/2019/03/27/painting-with-nick-stewarts-4-colour-ink-mix-set/

From memory, either De Atramentis or Rohrer & Klingner used to make a set of mixable ‘CMYK’ inks, and of course Platinum sell a ‘mixable’ set of inks too.

Whoops!  I guess I let slip my other passion!!!  Woof! My apologies to @inkstainedruth

On 2/11/2024 at 9:49 PM, Misfit said:

I put the hex code for the Berkeley blue at inkswatch.com.  These are the inks that closely match. 

https://inkswatch.com/choice.html?hexColorChoice=003262

That 3 Oysters Peacock Blue is sooooo pretty!😍 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

@Penguincollector

Wowza! I have a sample of that ink.  It’s currently in my Retro 51 Peacock pen. The 3 Oysters Peacock green matches the pen better. 

Posted Image

I guess I should take a look at 3 Oysters ink. Peacock Green also sounds great, @Misfit!