Pen/Ink/Paper Trios

Penguincollector

6 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

I have spent years trying to find the same paper. 

I don't follow my own advice of buying a ream or 100 sheet box of good to better paper with every three inks I buy.

But  the most important thing is to stock up on any good to better paper when it is actually found, if it is not main stream, CT or Rhoda or name Japaneses paper.

It more than likely will fall to some manager's bonus, in sizing is the first thing a ball point using bookkeeper eliminates.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• USG

• Penguincollector

• Bo Bo Olson

• Mercian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 10/1/2024 at 7:17 PM, Misfit said:

Here is the trio I mentioned in a Leuchtturm pocket notebook in Port Red. 

large.IMG_1108.jpeg.14f3f4dbd473f62764917fb04fa74b72.jpeg

You know what I think 😀👍 Mini Review 👍

23 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

@Misfit -- Oh Terre de Feu looks like a nice color....  (Like I REALLY need more ink..... :headsmack:).

And this is why I always warn new folks about the enablers....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Enablers..... ugh.... +1 👍

2 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

I don't follow my own advice of buying a ream or 100 sheet box of good to better paper with every three inks I buy.

But  the most important thing is to stock up on any good to better paper when it is actually found, if it is not main stream, CT or Rhoda or name Japaneses paper.

It more than likely will fall to some manager's bonus, in sizing is the first thing a ball point using bookkeeper eliminates.

@Penguincollector and @Bo Bo Olson

Stocking up recently backfired on me.  I was trying to stock up on Cosmo Snow because it's been discontinued and bought a number of packs of A5s and A4s, but the paper turned out not to be the same quality as all the other Cosmo Snow I've purchased from the same source.  This new stuff, both A5 & A4 feathered with some inks. Regular Cosmo Snow never feathers with anything.

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

So now that I have all this sub optimal Cosmo Snow paper I thought I'd get another pen to go with it.  Maybe a Pilot or a Sailor.  So I was looking at the nibs and it looks like the Sailor 1911L has a #5 nib and the Pilot 743 has a #6 nib... What do you guys think?

Click to Enlarge

large.IMG_7109800.jpg.c8fd1fee061345cc99e49df460c85598.jpg

Then I was checking out Bank paper.  The big surprise was Sailor Manyo Fuji, normally a gray ink, wrote green. I never saw that before. (Bottom right)

Click to Enlarge

large.IMG_7135800.jpg.3a9be3840cac26ae62f2472553f28e47.jpg

Then I was wondering how much of a difference paper actually makes so I wrote with a very wet Pelikan M1000 with Pelikan 4001 Brillant Braun on various papers.  Although each paper had it's own feel, It didn't make as big a difference as I though it would when the ink dried.  The biggest thing I noticed was that on Cosmo Snow and Iroful the line became slightly wider, with Cosmo Snow slightly wider than Iroful.  I don't know if I'd call that spreading, but it was wider.  Clairefontaine Stationary had the finest line.

large.IMG_7131800.jpg.df649567088cca35b4de295b42b0868b.jpg

large.IMG_7129800.jpg.b9ad201409c47891240d7b082c14a2fd.jpg

large.IMG_7125800.jpg.8a6e0edf9093f4ba113b27e9863c8e49.jpg

large.IMG_7123800.jpg.bab15003d6652e9ce5718c8f8db1fd45.jpg

large.IMG_7115800.jpg.10a680c804522cac686021147897b49a.jpg

large.IMG_7112_800.jpg.d481ed1997de7accc8ff23f97b84016c.jpg

large.IMG_7111800.jpg.95b0a8d27bbf9a01cd43cb52e7e4464e.jpg

I'm not done.... 🤪

While I was trying to figure out which pen to get, I impulse ordered a JunLai 630 with a gold nib from Aliexpress.  Well the thing arrived today and I wasn't happy.  There were greasy fingerprints all over the nib and the stamping/engraving wasn't that great...  I tried to write with it and it felt really weird.   I have 4 630s with steel nibs so I basically knew what to expect but this one felt different.  I dipped it into a couple of inks and there was some kind of feedback I wasn't expecting.  Not a scratch, but feedback.  I took out one of the steel 630s to compare and it was significantly smoother.  Bounce was about the same for both the steel and the 14Kt gold.  Something wasn't right but the writing samples didn't offer any clues.

Click to Enlarge

large.IMG_7153800b.jpg.3da056f7e585933217967fc597ecc772.jpg

I took a look at the tines to see if everything was lined up and that's where I got a clue as to what was going on.

When I ordered the pen, I was careful to check the box for a standard medium nib (there were a few choices including a Heartbeat and I didn't want one of those) but when I took a good look with my cellphone camera this is what I found.

Click to Enlarge

large.Untitled3.jpg.b5b88bed93e5fcafd4738eb573f607c6.jpg

I checked back on the website and noticed the title read:

large.Untitled.2.jpg.6e293a9d3decbb8ec7facc1e1955356c.jpg

So apparently, checking the box for a Standard Medium Nib meant nothing and what I was sent was a 14Kt Long Knife Nib.  Now I have a couple of pens with Kaigelu Long Knife nibs and I like them, but I really didn't want a 14Kt specialty nib on this pen.  I was expecting a nice smooth medium nib that would write like the other 630 nibs.  So what to do?  Back to China?  I don't think so.

@USG very nice mega mini reviews you’ve been posting here. I don’t comment much, but do appreciate the way you show us ink properties.  Much appreciated.

Posted Image

5 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

in sizing is the first thing a ball point using bookkeeper eliminates.

Ain’t that the truth.

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

USG do send back the pen, it is not what you ordered!!!

Why should you be forced to send it off to a nibmaster to get it to work well?

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.