Pen/Ink/Paper Trios

Penguincollector

From all of this it seems almost there's no definite answer. Feeds may also have an influence on how much ink flow you have, in the case where there has not been a chance for the ink to become concentrated...

Fascinating. Keep us updated on your experiments...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• USG

• Penguincollector

• Bo Bo Olson

• Mercian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@USG it is terrific what you're doing here. Really enjoying these samples.  Thanks!

Currently most used pen: Eboya Houju Medium size with Bock 14K <F> nib -- Pilot Blue Black Ink

1 hour ago, USG said:

Edelstein Sapphire

I've an old condensed 4001 Brilliant Green, that didn't sheen like for someone said, but shaded much more than it ever did before...and Edelstein Sapphire, shades for you more than what I expected.

Defiantly got to get on with my 'experiments' with Asian paper.

I did like the shading with Ajisa and Asa-gao, on your cosmo-snow.... I was not the least impressed with those two very expensive inks...€35 each...In I was looking for shading, more than for sheen. Kon=piki was/is a nice ink, with some shading, not a shading monster on Euro & American papers.

:doh:As soon as I can clear the flea market boxes out of my room (Friday night), that are blocking that section of my bookcases that holds my second ink section.

I just looked at my cosmo-snow page and Ajisa and Asa-gao, were not on it.

What nib width and flex to you recommend...

I do have 8 pens with suspected sheen inks in a fancy pen cup.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Some Turquoise inks that have been in their respective pens for a few days. Note the color changes.  I will try to post 'out of the bottle' comparisons to display what the original colors are.  Paper is Cosmo Snow.

CLICK TO ENLARGE

large.IMG_69401024.jpg.9b928fdb2791c186acd2d8b3e840db75.jpg

@Bo Bo Olson  I've gravitated to Jinhao X159s and Wing Sung 630s with Medium nibs as a control for ink tests.  Both have bouncy #8 nibs that lay down similar lines. 

It's very difficult to compare color, shading and sheen between different nibs with different feeds and different writing characteristics.  Look at the two Jack Frost samples from pens with similar line widths and flow.  One sheened red and the other Blue.  OTOH the two samples of Kon-Peki, one from a wet [M] Vanishing Point and the other from a Wing Sung 601 [F] have very similar color.  Neither pen had been recently filled.

If you check the Results of Sailor Manyo Sumire above, it shaded from a wet Platinum 3776 but not from an equally wet Jinhao X159, that also exhibited a much darker version of Sumire.  Neither pen had been recently filled.

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

On 9/18/2024 at 9:37 PM, Mechanical said:

Here are some images of Pelikan 4001 Dark Green ink on Stalogy notebook paper.  I've used my Lamy Safari Vista with cursive nib... which is truly great fun to write with.

large.PelikanDarkGreen.png.8a7cbc0eea3573447a3404b6664ec8fd.png

You can see there is a bit of feathering here and there.  And indeed this nib can lay down quite a bit of ink depending on its orientation and the amount of pressure applied.  The paper has a light cream color.  On different papers, you can get more shading than what is shown here.

I had a file folder underneath the page and you can see a bit of  "Oxford Pendaflex and Stock No. 752" showing through.  No surprise then, that this green writing sample also shows through to the other side of the paper, but there is absolutely no bleeding.  I rewrote the sample on the reverse side of the page, to give an idea of how much shows through.

large.PelikanDarkGreen2.jpg.593a4b88f2cf70f67f1bbf75369a037d.jpg

It's still very readable. 

For a green ink, I prefer colors that are lighter and brighter than this.  But in this pen, it's still fun, gives high contrast, and is entirely legible.  I get along well with Pelikan inks and this one is no exception.

I'd say the Stalogy paper doesn't show off inks to their highest potential.  You lose a bit of shading, and sheen just doesn't happen for any inks I've tried.  Still, it's a good choice for a journal because show-through isn't an issue and, yet, the paper is quite thin.  It handles different kinds of ink well.  I've used this notebook with Pelikan, Diamine, Sailor, R&K, and Pilot inks.  You can fill your pages with color, no problem.

You have inspired me about writing on paper that doesn’t fit your writing style. Don’t let the graph or dotted paper force you into their spacing. 

I like your spiral sample of writing a lot. Great job!

Posted Image

16 hours ago, Misfit said:

You have inspired me about writing on paper that doesn’t fit your writing style. Don’t let the graph or dotted paper force you into their spacing.

I like your spiral sample of writing a lot. Great job!

@Misfit, you're kind!   In my first A6 notebook with grid paper, I  carefully wrote everything within the boundary of the grid.  Totally rectilinear, but it was so laborious!  I moved on, mostly, to bigger A5 sized notebooks... and let myself be free. :lol:

Keeping a notebook, I'm of two minds.  Part of me wants to create a nicely written, meaningful book, each page following from the ones before.  Another part wants complete freedom to create messy notebooks with each page in a different scrawl.  The part of my persona which is disciplined is about the size of a peanut.  The messy part is the size of an elephant.  And I have pens for each personality...

Doing the sprial in freehand was fun, and next time I may pencil in guidelines to see if I can

Currently most used pen: Eboya Houju Medium size with Bock 14K <F> nib -- Pilot Blue Black Ink

@USG, do you think different feed designs and materials could also account for the way the same ink would look coming out of different pens? 

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

@Mechanical I am free in my page a day notebooks. I choose a pen for each day. That makes the notebook become filled with so many colors, different nib sizes. Granted, I’m using lined notebooks. 

When I started writing about each day, I used a Travelers Notebook insert that is called Weekly with Memo. I started with one pen for the first quarter of the year. Another year with that system, I went to a pen per month. 

Posted Image

1 hour ago, Misfit said:

I am free in my page a day notebooks. I choose a pen for each day.

I really like this idea.   I have at least 7 pens inked, so maybe I'll have a go this week. :-)

8 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

@USG, do you think different feed designs and materials could also account for the way the same ink would look coming out of different pens? 

I think so, Absolutely, yes.  As BBO pointed out, the heavier the flow the less it shades and the darker the ink gets, and the more it sheens (on certain paper). 

I have two sheets of Cosmo Snow, and it looks like I have to stock up on that paper. I don't ever remember PR Topas shading so heavy. Nor Dark Lilac shading at all!!!!

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

5 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

I have two sheets of Cosmo Snow, and it looks like I have to stock up on that paper. I don't ever remember PR Topas shading so heavy. Nor Dark Lilac shading at all!!!!

Buy as much as you can when you do, as it’s been discontinued. There’s still a good amount left to buy, but it’s better to buy sooner than later.

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Three Pens

2 Jinaho X159s, Diamine Winter Miracle, Lamy Dark Lilac

Pilot 743 <SFM>  Sailor Manyo Konagi

Cosmo Snow Paper

CLICK TO ENLARGE

large.IMG_7001800.JPG.e48dbbaef2a562f2cbef42c342d034c0.JPG

large.IMG_7002800.JPG.31b41c7d11f32f4f0d3130f55ddd2c25.JPG

large.IMG_7003800.JPG.02b8836faa97be206012f6e2d1325f77.JPG

large.IMG_7004800B.JPG.894a69a07c001d6cde00dbae44354948.JPG

The Fallacy of Ink Tests:

To look at Konagi ink from a Sailor KOP<M> you'd say that Konagi was a shading ink, but from a Pilot 743<SFM>, which has a similar line width, not really.  It seems that whether an ink shades or not, is a factor of the pressure exerted on the nib, the type of nib, the flow of ink, the paper used, and the ink itself.

CLICK TO ENLARGE

large.IMG_7075900.jpg.05917e70b7a5565a15423657197d88c2.jpg

large.IMG_7073800.jpg.aac7b95a78c87970c8f679a12435c0aa.jpg

I have a B5 LIFE, Noble Note Notebook that I wasn't using because yellow paper doesn't show colors well, so as an experiment I repurposed 20 sheets of the paper and made a thin A5 notebook to see if it would be more appealing in this format.

So, 21 pens and 21 inks on Yellow LIFE paper.

CLICK TO ENLARGE

large.IMG_7088800cjpg.jpg.afe8fe6202903874a672749519c506e3.jpg

Some Highlights:

The big surprise was that Yamabuki outlined on this paper

large.IMG_7087800A.jpg.3df7953287d89f0247814e29b0b97390.jpg

large.IMG_7086800A.jpg.15e72c7b80b9afe91a0c88d89657fc1a.jpg

large.IMG_7085800A.jpg.779255c7267063916c82ae5cd02cadb7.jpg

My sample of Cornaline doesn't dry properly

large.IMG_7084800A.jpg.3aef91282eb791f9860fb2fed37adea6.jpg

large.IMG_7083800A.jpg.6d3e5687f45cbfe1f6795d4589c93317.jpg

Ajisai feathered from a very wet Pilot 742 FA

large.IMG_7082800JAPG.jpg.dc64a916beb2ef4d7ae1b9c28e820ee6.jpg

large.IMG_7081800A.jpg.1f309ec420eff2a961954936afe76bb0.jpg

large.IMG_7080800A.jpg.e43608b48da5292222743e823966d37b.jpg

I have a small LIFE noble note section, with white lined paper, A-7....note book, that keeps trying to remind me to get some of that paper.

Being retired I have to make hard choices, ink or paper...not both....but Christmas is coming.:rolleyes:

I have various Creme's, Champagnes and Ivories, and other off colors I don't use as much as I could. I don't know if I was/am saving those papers for some reason, or that they were not white.

That is now a new thought to me about those papers.

15 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

I have a small LIFE noble note section, with white lined paper, A-7....note book, that keeps trying to remind me to get some of that paper.

Being retired I have to make hard choices, ink or paper...not both....but Christmas is coming.:rolleyes:

I have various Creme's, Champagnes and Ivories, and other off colors I don't use as much as I could. I don't know if I was/am saving those papers for some reason, or that they were not white.

That is now a new thought to me about those papers.

I got the LIFE notebook on Amazon and I don't think they have white paper...  too bad... ☹️👎

18 more pens:  The LIFE paper is against some HP 24lb paper

large.IMG_7095800.jpg.b444770f476bc5dc35cf0c8f1ad101ff.jpg

All of the LIFE paper I have tried has been some shade of ivory and not bright white.