Pen/Ink/Paper Trios

Penguincollector

29 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

@inkstainedruth, that color combination sounds great!  I love orange and turquoise together, it reminds me of life in Miami. Extra converters eventually become necessary, so it helps to be prepared!

I was originally considering Skrip Purple, but I think the vintage Skrip Peacock would be an even better color combo (I don't tend to do "matchy matchy" between barrel and ink colors, with a couple of exceptions -- the M400 Brown Tortoise seems to always get inked up with brown ink (Edelstein Smoky Quartz and Noodler's Walnut both work very well in it); and I've often put various purple inks in the Plum Demi 51 (yes, including Noodler's ink -- I figure that if they were designed to use Superchrome ink in them?  Noodler's is gonna be MUCH more benign... :rolleyes:).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• USG

• Penguincollector

• Bo Bo Olson

• Mercian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Inks can be bought. Polish and English; there a small manufacture that looks so good for shading.

The apartment roof can wait till the last minute.:P

Possible shading inks, please do tell!  

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

14 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

yes, including Noodler's ink -- I figure that if they were designed to use Superchrome ink in them?  Noodler's is gonna be MUCH more benign... :rolleyes:).

I haven’t tried Noodler’s in mine (I only have Kung te Cheng), but I did try Iroshizuku- too wet.  Those sacs are pretty indestructible, but I do worry about the collector, since Superchrome did eat through those. If I end up with a less troublesome Noodler’s I will try it in my 51 Special.

I’m not a matcher either, except for when the mood strikes. I have Pilot Green in my Verdegris 743 FA and it’s great. I do like complementary colors sometimes, like the one you’re considering.  I also don’t marry inks to pens, but do take note of especially good pairings. 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

@Penguincollector do they say which mica it is Muscovite or biotite or a combination of the two. Sorry the geologist/ mineralogist is kicking in. Both nice shiney mineral's depending on the light.

Mark from the Latin Marcus follower of mars, the god of war.

Yorkshire Born, Yorkshire Bred. 

my current favourite author is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

largebronze-letter-exc.pngflying-letter-exc.png

4 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

Possible shading inks, please do tell!  

Pure Pens, in England, looked good and is affordable...that Polish ink everyone talks about starts with Kxx.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Do you mean KWZ?  I've liked some of the inks I've gotten from them, especially some of the iron gall inks.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

2 hours ago, Mark from Yorkshire said:

@Penguincollector do they say which mica it is Muscovite or biotite or a combination of the two. Sorry the geologist/ mineralogist is kicking in. Both nice shiney mineral's depending on the light.

I haven’t looked, but I will when I get back to my hobby room. 

5 minutes ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Pure Pens, in England, looked good and is affordable...that Polish ink everyone talks about starts with Kxx.

I remember Pure Pens, I will check it out! I have one KWZ sample, I think it’s named after a citrus fruit. That’s the cookie smelling ink.

11 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

KWZ

Yes, I just don't remember the name in I've not gotten any ink from them yet.

A thousand 'new' inks out there and I'm dithering for one. :blush:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Just some favorites today

8 Pens, 7 Inks

Cosmo Snow A5 Notebook

CLICK TO ENLARGE

large.IMG_6926800.jpg.a0175a472fbbe9d5581cdb4df3114854.jpg

I thought this was interesting.  Same ink in 2 different pens with medium nibs.

large.IMG_6921800.jpg.dee549f3be94ac19428ab9115d2766b0.jpg

Edit:  my Cornaline sample still hasn't dried

large.IMG_6928800.jpg.043edbfdfc8f7c6149116f4eb8ed3cc6.jpg

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

6 hours ago, USG said:

I thought this was interesting.  Same ink in 2 different pens with medium nibs.

large.IMG_6921800.jpg.dee549f3be94ac19428ab9115d2766b0.jpg

It really is............I knew from or passed Sandy1, about different papers and nib widths...........but same size nib, being so different I'd not expected. :thumbup:

I've seen this when the one pen, where the ink seems darker/more concentrated, and has been in the pen longer. I imagine it's an effect of evaporation... and therefore the ink indeed getting more concentrated. If you dip it in water or otherwise dilute the darker one, I'd expect the difference to go away...?

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

19 minutes ago, mhguda said:

I imagine it's an effect of evaporation... and therefore the ink indeed getting more concentrated. If you dip it in water or otherwise dilute the darker one, I'd expect the difference to go away...?

I just assumed that the Wing Sung 630 has a much ‘wetter’ feed/flow than the Jinhao Century 🤷‍♂️

large.Mercia45x27IMG_2024-09-18-104147.PNG.4f96e7299640f06f63e43a2096e76b6e.PNG  Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.  spacer.png

I was wondering the same thing as Mercian -- whether one pen was just a "wetter" writer than the other.

Here are some images of Pelikan 4001 Dark Green ink on Stalogy notebook paper.  I've used my Lamy Safari Vista with cursive nib... which is truly great fun to write with.

large.PelikanDarkGreen.png.8a7cbc0eea3573447a3404b6664ec8fd.png

You can see there is a bit of feathering here and there.  And indeed this nib can lay down quite a bit of ink depending on its orientation and the amount of pressure applied.  The paper has a light cream color.  On different papers, you can get more shading than what is shown here.

I had a file folder underneath the page and you can see a bit of  "Oxford Pendaflex and Stock No. 752" showing through.  No surprise then, that this green writing sample also shows through to the other side of the paper, but there is absolutely no bleeding.  I rewrote the sample on the reverse side of the page, to give an idea of how much shows through.

large.PelikanDarkGreen2.jpg.593a4b88f2cf70f67f1bbf75369a037d.jpg

It's still very readable. 

For a green ink, I prefer colors that are lighter and brighter than this.  But in this pen, it's still fun, gives high contrast, and is entirely legible.  I get along well with Pelikan inks and this one is no exception.

I'd say the Stalogy paper doesn't show off inks to their highest potential.  You lose a bit of shading, and sheen just doesn't happen for any inks I've tried.  Still, it's a good choice for a journal because show-through isn't an issue and, yet, the paper is quite thin.  It handles different kinds of ink well.  I've used this notebook with Pelikan, Diamine, Sailor, R&K, and Pilot inks.  You can fill your pages with color, no problem.

Currently most used pen: Eboya Houju Medium size with Bock 14K <F> nib -- Pilot Blue Black Ink

7 hours ago, Mechanical said:

you can get more shading than what is shown here.

I got no shading at all with that dark dull 4001 boring green ink ...basic paper Oxford Optic 90g................didn't have Japanese paper's then.

I luckily was able to give it away...otherwise down the sink.

R&K Verdura is a nose better as a lively green-green ink and only €10 than price gouging €23 MB Irish Green. The old discontinued Brilliant Green was a neck back from Verdura.....and affordable. I'm on my last drops.

7 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

I got no shading at all with that dark dull 4001 boring green ink ...basic paper Oxford Optic 90g................didn't have Japanese paper's then.

I luckily was able to give it away...otherwise down the sink.

R&K Verdura is a nose better as a lively green-green ink and only €10 than price gouging €23 MB Irish Green. The old discontinued Brilliant Green was a neck back from Verdura.....and affordable. I'm on my last drops.

I first tried this dark green in a medium nib Platinum Preppy.  Not too inspiring, overall.  But the Lamy cursive nib helps it a lot — I get more variation in line width, amount of ink, and consequently more shading. 

The R&K Verdura is on my list.  Love their inks.

Currently most used pen: Eboya Houju Medium size with Bock 14K <F> nib -- Pilot Blue Black Ink

I think you're all right.

BBO said I knew from or passed Sandy1, about different papers and nib widths. 👍

mhguda said I imagine it's an effect of evaporation... and therefore the ink indeed getting more concentrated. 👍

Mercian  said I just assumed that the Wing Sung 630 has a much ‘wetter’ feed/flow than the Jinhao Century. 👍

ISR said I was wondering the same thing as Mercian -- whether one pen was just a "wetter" writer than the other. 👍

I used out of the bottle ink with a dip pen that had a Kaigelu NMF nib and compared it to "Feed Ink" that has been in the pen and had a chance to 'concentrate', 'settle in', 'evaporate', and/or 'oxidize'.  The reason I call it "Feed Ink" is because I've noticed that after 5 or 6 lines the color gets lighter as the feed ink is used up.... but not all the time.  Sometimes all the ink has 'settled in' and is uniformly darker.  It doesn't seem to matter if the pen is a cartridge, piston, or vacuum fillerSometimes all the ink darkens and sometimes only the feed ink.

I didn't include an Ajisai sample because it had the same darkening characteristics in previously posted pics, see below.

Pen used:  I used my Namiki Shogun with a refilled cartridge.

Inks used:  Ajisai and Asa-Gao 

Paper used:  Cosmo Snow

ALL PICS: CLICK TO ENLARGE

large.IMG_6930adj.jpg.ce9ac02e7d5b95a8a024b98c7abab26e.jpg

Much darker than above (on Tomoe River S paper)

large.IMG_6844800.JPG.7e32b6889adebb33a743812e3e472ec2.JPG

Edelstein Sapphire was the same.  Darker from a Momento Zero and much lighter from a Pelikan M800.  Ink was in those pens for roughly the same amount of time.  Both were fine nibs.

large.IMG_6843800.JPG.c78534204afd85ebae1bf37cb39892ce.JPG

large.IMG_6842800.JPG.7b5ab2c7ce3ff9a2bf805c83efac2ab6.JPG

BBO's comment about different paper is also relevant.  Ajisai from the Furore was much lighter on Bank Paper and Edelstein Sapphire changed color and sheened.

large.IMG_6820800.jpg.dd49568a7b2e2ca2a0d15b57ef3251d9.jpg

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests