Pen/Ink/Paper Trios

Penguincollector

22 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

Some paper just eats sheen, @lamarax. I have an Apica notebook that does the same.

Wait till you try Stalogy.

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• USG

• Penguincollector

• Bo Bo Olson

• Mercian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, USG said:

Wait till you try Stalogy.

I will add that to the “not for ink effects” list. Some paper feels nice and doesn’t feather, which sometimes is what you need. So Stalogy, Apica, and Maruman are all not sheen friendly.

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

42 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

I will add that to the “not for ink effects” list. Some paper feels nice and doesn’t feather, which sometimes is what you need. So Stalogy, Apica, and Maruman are all not sheen friendly.

They also feather with some Iroshizuku and Private Reserve inks.

1 hour ago, USG said:

🤮 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

1 hour ago, USG said:
2 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

Stalogy, Apica, and Maruman are all not sheen friendly.

Ball point papers???

Luckily not in my neighborhood.

The some Iroshizuku and Private Reserve wet inks....feather with any other papers?

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

7 hours ago, USG said:

Rhodium plated gold #8 nib !!!  👍😀 I love #8 nibs.  Why didn't you say so in the first place !!

10540.jpg.148300706064ddae8e3daee3c037e230.jpg

Did I mention the feeder is awesomely red? :D

*Pen is called the Leonardo "Gran Riserva". It's bigger than a MZG. This was a very limited edition with most of the iconic OMAS celluloids Leonardo got, used up on a last run. Mine is with 'Grigio Perla', numbered 05/12.

I'm putting together a notebook with the last of my favorite papers, Tomoe River S.  I have the pages and the covers cut to size and I'm ready to punch the holes which I'll do later.

In the meantime, since Lamarax got me started on Leonardos yesterday,  I was writing with a Momento Zero and Edelstein Sapphire ink on 48.2gsm Yamamoto Bank Paper.  I don't know why I chose the Bank Paper notebook this time, but I like Bank Paper for it's thin, translucent and hard finish.  Anyway, while I was writing I noticed that the Edelstein Sapphire ink was feathering on the Bank paper.  So I took out another Leonardo, a Furore, filled with Iroshizuku Ajisai, another known feathering ink, to compare the two inks on the Bank Paper.

CLICK TO ENLARGE

large.IMG_6831800.jpg.a350a69a2f2623f12e8d3537b7cced40.jpg

The Edelstein Sapphire picked up a little Sheen, nothing for the Ajisai

large.IMG_6820800.jpg.dd49568a7b2e2ca2a0d15b57ef3251d9.jpg

Here you can see the feathering

large.IMG_6826800.jpg.0a7f2ca176a2e1ab2ea276b9378874ed.jpg

Surprisingly there was no feathering from the Ajisai to speak of [unless you're are our good friend Bo Bo Olson who will enlarge it and be able to pick out some minute areas here and there 😉 👍]

large.IMG_6827800.JPG.c9b7eee9b0a37b8af354e0b8dbe4942f.JPG

With the Tomoe River S notebook complete, I wrote the same thing with the same pens and inks.

What I found was that the Tomoe River S dried much more slowly than on the Bank Paper so without paying attention, I got some smudges.

Another thing I noticed was that the Bank Paper displayed the difference between the ink colors better than the Tomoe River S paper.  This was a big surprise.

Finally there was no feathering on the Tomoe River S paper.

large.IMG_6840800.jpg.c6ae4f87de5363831efb9f1e5b6325cb.jpg

On 9/3/2024 at 6:36 PM, lamarax said:

10540.jpg.148300706064ddae8e3daee3c037e230.jpg

Did I mention the feeder is awesomely red? :D

*Pen is called the Leonardo "Gran Riserva". It's bigger than a MZG. This was a very limited edition with most of the iconic OMAS celluloids Leonardo got, used up on a last run. Mine is with 'Grigio Perla', numbered 05/12.

Jeepers that's nice 👍😀

On 9/3/2024 at 2:51 PM, Bo Bo Olson said:

Ball point papers???

Luckily not in my neighborhood.

The some Iroshizuku and Private Reserve wet inks....feather with any other papers?

I'm not a paper expert, but I've posted feathering from those inks on, Kokuyo notebook paper, Kokuyo Campus paper, HP 24lb paper, Maruman A5 ring Notebook paper, a B5 Mnemosyne Notebook, Apica twin ring Notebooks and a Stalogy Notebook, (which sucks the life out of all my inks)    [YMMV]

I do not pick nits....I shoot them.

I am surprised that ES Sapphire, feathers................but I've not tired it on 'weird' East Asian papers. It took me years to get that paper because when it first came out...folks were so disappointed it wasn't Parker Penmann. ...and I was half 'noobie' and there were ever so many other inks. 

However by me I love PE Aventurine...but it feathers :angry: on my good to better Euro papers, so I don't use it.:wacko:

:doh::rolleyes: I neglected to give it away when I had the chance.

Is there a paper where PE Aventurine, don't feather? It would be worth getting some of that paper.

I only tried ES Sapphire on good to better Euro paper.

I get real PO'ed with woolly lines, much less feathering.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

8 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

I do not pick nits....I shoot them.

I am surprised that ES Sapphire, feathers................but I've not tired it on 'weird' East Asian papers. It took me years to get that paper because when it first came out...folks were so disappointed it wasn't Parker Penmann. ...and I was half 'noobie' and there were ever so many other inks. 

However by me I love PE Aventurine...but it feathers :angry: on my good to better Euro papers, so I don't use it.:wacko:

:doh::rolleyes: I neglected to give it away when I had the chance.

Is there a paper where PE Aventurine, don't feather? It would be worth getting some of that paper.

I only tried ES Sapphire on good to better Euro paper.

I get real PO'ed with woolly lines, much less feathering.

I know, I know... you don't like those woolly lines. 😱

I have some good news and some bad news.  The samples above were on 48.2gsm Yamamoto Bank Paper.  That's the good news, because you don't have any of that paper.  The bad news is that in further writings today, the previously infallible Tomoe River S paper feathered with those inks but there's a caveat.  The Edelstein Sapphire didn't feather from a Pelikan M800 (F) but continued to feather from a Leonardo Momento Zero (F) where the ink looked darker... [I haven't been using the Leonardo much lately]

Excuse the way I was writing Tomoe River S, it looks like Tomoe Rivers.  I'll work on a better way to write it.😀👍

No feathering

CLICK TO ENLARGE

large.IMG_6842800.JPG.7b5ab2c7ce3ff9a2bf805c83efac2ab6.JPG

Feathering?

large.IMG_6843800.JPG.c78534204afd85ebae1bf37cb39892ce.JPG

Something is going on here, right?

large.IMG_6844800.JPG.7e32b6889adebb33a743812e3e472ec2.JPG

Non-feathering paper would be Cosmo Snow and Iroful and I would have included Tomoe River S until today.  I suspect that Clairefontaine and OPTIK won't feather, but I didn't try those inks on those papers yet.

So here's a question:  Did you try Aventurine on Clairefontaine or OPTIK?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqTS5nSJennOWolT3u1tD

Probably...on CT, for sure on Optic. Optic has been my go to paper for @ 15 years.

CT I've been using for some 4-5 years....late to spending good money on good paper....often :doh:cheap in the wrong places.

Looking back, it hadn't hurt.:wacko:

I had one cartridge of Aventurine and I remember it working perfectly on Oxford Optik (the old 90gsm) and Kokuyo Business 64 🧐🤔 Maybe the power of F/EF Japanese nibs.

I wanted to buy a bottle once the cartridge was done, and remember the reviews mentioning the feathering. That plus the exorbitant price asked by local retailers made me switch to other greens.

14327.thumb.jpg.5be36cb486598d54cd8d9cfe93193ae8.jpg

Visonti = Visconti of course 😄 The nib is the standard, in-house 18K <F>. I bought the pen directly from Visconti and it was perfect out of the box!

I... I think they like me 😜

That is a beautiful shading ink.:notworthy1:

1 hour ago, lamarax said:

Visonti = Visconti of course 😄 The nib is the standard, in-house 18K <F>. I bought the pen directly from Visconti and it was perfect out of the box!

Gorgeous pen, and the ink is lovely!

On 9/7/2024 at 7:12 PM, lamarax said:

Very nice Lamarax 😀👍

Mostly Jinhaos

Various inks, some with silver shoes glitter

Cosmo Snow paper

CLICK TO ENLARGE

large.IMG_6858800.JPG.1ded1028476bc46513395d7ae8ff6b88.JPG

6 hours ago, RedPie said:

i like that pen @lamarax

It's a staple, isn't it? Discounting Visconti's QA "troubles", which are true, their gold nibs are so pleasantly bouncy-bouncy 🙂🙃