Pen/Ink/Paper Trios

Penguincollector

8 minutes ago, USG said:

I don't have a cursive nib, how does it compare to a regular medium Lamy nib?

I really have to get back to my favorite green ink, vintage Pelikan 4001 Brillant Grun...  on YELLOW and CREAM paper... 👍😀

I love that green as well, especially from a beautiful Pelikan wet nib. 

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• USG

• Penguincollector

• Bo Bo Olson

• Mercian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

@USG as usual, I loved the Konagi most right before the end of the fill. In your photos, it reminds me of Diamine Polar Glow.

There was this colorful one that I didn't post before... 

Manyo Konagi 👍  Rhymes with Mr. Miyagi

large.IMG_6427800.jpg.db487db79886aaba376a306e49ab3971.jpg

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

14 minutes ago, USG said:

There was this colorful one that I didn't post before... 

Manyo Konagi 👍  Rhymes with Mr. Miyagi

large.IMG_6427800.jpg.db487db79886aaba376a306e49ab3971.jpg

😍

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

25 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

😍

The thing is even Konagi looks like it's sheening in the close up pics, it really isn't.  The writing looks like it has a pink glow around it, not the powerful sheen that you find in typical sheening inks like these:

CLICK TO ENLARGE

IMG_5244768B.jpg.f5ffb90c0631b69db7c2828ec6e8dc02.jpg

Having absolutely no sheen on my very good to better papers...either have to buy modern versions of my old classic inks..... or have to buy mainly Japanese papers to make some show up.

Sheen has been an atomic secret to me.

Occasionally, if I tilt the hell out of the paper a ...is that sheen...will show up.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

3 minutes ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Having absolutely no sheen on my very good to better papers...either have to buy modern versions of my old classic inks..... or have to buy mainly Japanese papers to make some show up.

Sheen has been an atomic secret to me.

Occasionally, if I tilt the hell out of the paper a ...is that sheen...will show up.

Have you tried the new version of Lamy Dark Lilac yet? It’s sheen is pretty overpowering. If it doesn’t show up for you then it’s definitely the papers. It might have something to do with paper coating. My excellent Italian papers are great with shading and standard inks, but sheen, shimmer, and any outlining or haloing don’t really show.  It’s one of the few papers that I can use both sides of the page and there’s absolutely no feathering, but it’s kind of flat. That’s what makes Japanese papers so fun, the ability to really make inks show their properties. 

3 hours ago, USG said:

I don't have a cursive nib, how does it compare to a regular medium Lamy nib?

The cursive nib is very different.  It makes a thin line when you make a vertical stroke, and a slightly thicker line for a horizontal stroke.  As you write, it adds in extra variation to the curves in the letters which is a nice thing. 

It also has a lot of feedback.  On day one, I was afraid it was going to be scratchy, but as I got used to it -- and using a light touch -- it skates across the paper.  It also has a bit of flex so you can add in extra shading by applying pressure.  But usually I keep it light, and cursive script just flows out.  It is not really a smooth nib.

p.s. I do have some 4001 Dunkelgrün coming in the mail. :)

Currently most used pen: Eboya Houju Medium size with Bock 14K <F> nib -- Pilot Blue Black Ink

3 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

This is such a good green. It’s like Crayola green at its brightest, and darkens nicely and the shading is superb. Green ink looks so good on yellow paper. If I am writing on Post-it notes or legal yellow paper I prefer green. It’s also great on crème paper. I’m glad to see that you like the cursive/ Hanzi nib, I have been meaning to get one for ages. 

I do like this color.  I had gazed at ink swatches online and worried it would be too much.... too primary.  But in use, it's a lot of fun, just not what you'd call subtle. :)

Once it's run in a bit, the Lamy cursive nib is very nice.  It's a bit bigger the Lamy Fine, overall. Sadly, I don't know how to write Chinese script, but I'm sure this would give you a lot of shading for each stroke.

Currently most used pen: Eboya Houju Medium size with Bock 14K <F> nib -- Pilot Blue Black Ink

2 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

new version of Lamy Dark Lilac

I didn't know they had a new issue, in I missed the old one. I'll take a look, thanks.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

20 hours ago, lamarax said:

Here's the promised Japanese-euro mashup. Not what I intended initially, as I thought I had this one inked up with KWZ Brown-Pink, but oh well 🙂

13211.thumb.jpg.326341b2edd35884219c3afb9580a6d6.jpg

Paper is "new Chiffon cream", used by Yamamoto in their "Ro-Biki" notebooks. It's the smoothest uncoated paper out there, compared to the previously posted Graphilo and Takasago Premium.

More are coming, including the coveted OK Fools, Maruman Mnemosyne etc. I might make a trio with TR 68 gsm, as I gather this one's pretty much unobtainium by now (and I want to show off my awesome golden Hobonichi cover with it 😛)

Greetings @lamarax

I had your post marked for a response but it got overlooked in the Photo flurry I got involved in...

That's a mighty pen you have. 😀👍  Nice, Nice, Nice,

Anyway about the paper... I have 48.2gsm Bank Paper, directly from Yamamoto (but I can't see the 3 diamond watermark). Is that the same as your Bank Paper?  I have no experience with Graphilo, but I'm curious about the "Chiffon cream" you wrote about.  Could you go into a little detail about it?  How off white is it?  Being that it's uncoated, how does ink behave on it?  What inks have you used?  Any feathering?

Dark Lilac ordered. B nib...nail, regular flex springy, semi-flex, which would be best for sheen?

New company using that big ink tank in the far corner...and selling what sells. That the old management ignored for some reason.

1 hour ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

I didn't know they had a new issue, in I missed the old one. I'll take a look, thanks.

I saw a swab of the new version at the Baltimore/Washington show in the spring and didn't like it all that much (I'm less enamored of sheen than some people).  

But of course when the original formula came out, I got two bottles (Anderson Pens had just gotten it in but after they were en route to the Triangle Show that year) so ordered the bottles from them in my hotel room -- and now just kicking myself that I didn't order THREE when I had the chance, because NOBODY at the show had it.  The guy from Crazy Alan's said he was going home and checking invoices every night to see if it had come in -- but wasn't sure he was going to be able to even GET his order -- AT ALL.... :o  And told me that he didn't understand Lamy -- the Dark Lilac Safaris were just flying off the shelves, they were so popular!

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

4 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Dark Lilac ordered. B nib...nail, regular flex springy, semi-flex, which would be best for sheen?

New company using that big ink tank in the far corner...and selling what sells. That the old management ignored for some reason.

I like sheen inks best in a pen with an italic or stub nib. Try it in the Persona, with that lovely Pendleton Brown grind. 

Will try the CI B in the Persona.:thumbup:

1 hour ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Will try the CI B in the Persona.:thumbup:

Oh good! I just asked if you had decided in the ink thread. I really hope it performs for you. 

On 8/11/2024 at 11:58 PM, USG said:

Anyway about the paper... I have 48.2gsm Bank Paper, directly from Yamamoto (but I can't see the 3 diamond watermark). Is that the same as your Bank Paper?  I have no experience with Graphilo, but I'm curious about the "Chiffon cream" you wrote about.  Could you go into a little detail about it?  How off white is it?  Being that it's uncoated, how does ink behave on it?  What inks have you used?  Any feathering?

Good evening @USG,

The Takasago Premium I have is bound in A5 172 page notebooks by Dominant Industries (of ink fame). It weighs @87.9 gsm, so I think yours may be the one Yamamoto markets as "Mitsubishi bank paper", which is different. Yamamoto only offer Takasago Premium in A5 notepads AFAIK.

"New Chiffon Cream" is 80 gsm paper they use exclusively with their "Ro-biki" line of single-signature stitched notebooks in strange 91x210 mm (so narrower than standard TN) and B7 "TN passport" formats. Color-wise, I'd say it matches the MD ivory hue. Reportedly, it can bleed with wet, saturated inks and broad/stub nibs, although this has yet to happen with my (ab)use of the paper. Check it out here. (Also of note are the funky lined pages in some of their stuff 🙃)

On 8/11/2024 at 2:11 PM, Penguincollector said:

Have you tried the new version of Lamy Dark Lilac yet? It’s sheen is pretty overpowering. If it doesn’t show up for you then it’s definitely the papers. It might have something to do with paper coating. My excellent Italian papers are great with shading and standard inks, but sheen, shimmer, and any outlining or haloing don’t really show.  It’s one of the few papers that I can use both sides of the page and there’s absolutely no feathering, but it’s kind of flat. That’s what makes Japanese papers so fun, the ability to really make inks show their properties. 

Hi PGS

One of the problems in using Cosmo Snow and Iroful is that the inks don't usually perform nearly as well on other paper.  To that end, I have a Jinhao X159 filled with Lamy Dark Lilac and I thought I'd test it against some standard paper.

All the nibs were mediums except Shigure which was an EF.

First up was Iroful, as a Control.  Everything Sheened even the Shigure ink which was unexpected because it looked black while I was writing.

large.IMG_6487800.jpg.6237a6d83280ea7507b8926481c9a58c.jpg

Next up was Tomoe River S.  Here Sigure lost it's sheen but everything else held out, with Dark Lilac becoming an Outline ink.

large.IMG_6490800.jpg.0e1fa23c5938cdef2ed9a142aba60d94.jpg

Next was OPTIK paper.  Shigure is gone, Winter Miracle is fading and Dark Lilac is also fading but holding on as an Outline ink.

large.IMG_6489800.jpg.a83f48481461a17dc1b3fcd6c1eaea8c.jpg

Next was Clairefonaine Stationary paper from Amazon.  Shigure and Dark Lilac are out.  The others are beginning to fade.

large.IMG_6491800.jpg.02431e87a8965acd86c13fc6765cb427.jpg

Finally Kokuyo KB 64gsm. Shigure and Dark Lilac are out.  The others look about the same as on Clairefontaine, with Winter Miracle loosing it's sheen but holding onto the shimmer.

large.IMG_6493800.jpg.316f7e7b693dc9ac662711bf4f192abe.jpg

On 8/11/2024 at 3:04 PM, Mechanical said:

The cursive nib is very different.  It makes a thin line when you make a vertical stroke, and a slightly thicker line for a horizontal stroke.  As you write, it adds in extra variation to the curves in the letters which is a nice thing. 

It also has a lot of feedback.  On day one, I was afraid it was going to be scratchy, but as I got used to it -- and using a light touch -- it skates across the paper.  It also has a bit of flex so you can add in extra shading by applying pressure.  But usually I keep it light, and cursive script just flows out.  It is not really a smooth nib.

p.s. I do have some 4001 Dunkelgrün coming in the mail. :)

@Mechanical

Thank you for the description.  I didn't expect the CI to write like an Architect with thin down strokes and broader cross strokes.  The closest thing I have is an Italic, which is just the opposite.  Heavy down strokes and thin cross strokes. Also unexpected was the feedback unless you're talking about the same sharp edges that are on my Italic, which can catch the paper..  Anyway good stuff.  All good to know. 😀

3 hours ago, lamarax said:

Good evening @USG,

The Takasago Premium I have is bound in A5 172 page notebooks by Dominant Industries (of ink fame). It weighs @87.9 gsm, so I think yours may be the one Yamamoto markets as "Mitsubishi bank paper", which is different. Yamamoto only offer Takasago Premium in A5 notepads AFAIK.

"New Chiffon Cream" is 80 gsm paper they use exclusively with their "Ro-biki" line of single-signature stitched notebooks in strange 91x210 mm (so narrower than standard TN) and B7 "TN passport" formats. Color-wise, I'd say it matches the MD ivory hue. Reportedly, it can bleed with wet, saturated inks and broad/stub nibs, although this has yet to happen with my (ab)use of the paper. Check it out here. (Also of note are the funky lined pages in some of their stuff 🙃)

@lamarax

Nice descriptions.  You might be right about my Bank Paper. 

I've see a lot of notebooks in what seems to be passport size.  I'm not sure why they chose that size?  80gsm paper sounds good though.  Do you think the bleeding with wet saturated inks and broad nibs is because it's uncoated, although I've experienced a similar thing on Kokuyo, APICA, Maruman and Stalogy coated notebook paper with Asa-Gao and Adjsai inks.

One last thing.  I've noticed a great number of notebooks are using a cream colored paper instead of white.  I wonder why that is?

Wait,  @USG you found other papers that outline besides CAS and Iroful? That’s awesome! 

The Yamamoto paper sampler pad I bought from JetPens has 2 different types of bank paper, I can check to see which ones they are.

@USG

> I've noticed a great number of notebooks are using a cream colored paper instead of white.  I wonder why that is?

I've always thought that it was to make the sheets look like parchment or vellum?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden