Pen/Ink/Paper Trios

Penguincollector

7 minutes ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

My Parker Pennman sapphire cartridges don't have it either....no sheen, nothing special in any way.:crybaby:And not so vibrantly blue.

Hmm, I wonder if there were differences in batches. Some look very dark blue to me, very like Waterman’s Serenity Blue, and others have some turquoise leanings and have sheen. 

I was reminded of you, Bo Bo, because I saw a Sonnecken nib and feed on eBay. 

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• USG

• Penguincollector

• Bo Bo Olson

• Mercian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, RedPie said:

That is a nice combo! @Penguincollector

Thank you! 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Unfortunately, Soennecken was always two levels higher than my budget.....the MP's were mostly live auction wins...where I was chasing another pen.

And I've run into none of the Soennecken's there.

In the '50s Soennecken made the best fountain pen in the world.

Later Soennecken nibs had Degussa (Osmia) nibs, as they lost the war. They didn't jump into the ball point market soon enough like MB & Pelikan, so died.

Geha's slightly better/more springy nibs be that gold or steel (not counting the school pens)...were better than Pelikans. Geha used Degussa nibs.

Two posters that I respect(ed) haven't seen in a hell of a long time; don't know if they passed or not, mentioned that. I took 4-5 Pelikans vs 4-5 Geha's of the '50-60's era and found it to be true. Have to be OCD/nit picky to find that out.

I have small hand full of steel Degussa superflex nibs; Easy Full Flex by my system.

I se no reason that Degussa couldn't have made gold wet noodles for Soennecken if wished.

I have no idea when my finest Wet Noodle Soennecken nib was made and by whom.

I was quite happy with three, then spun around in a circle until dizzy and find out with out trying I have 6-7 Wet Noodles......................:unsure: I still haven't taken the time to learn to write with them.....Just basic scribbling.

I would expect a Sonnecken nib to be At Least semi-flex.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

11 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

I am out on the patio with my Parker IM Monochrome Blue, using up the last of the Parker Penman Sapphire cartridge. My notebook is a Sanrio China spiral bound A5 with off white Daolin paper.  large.IMG_4652.jpeg.b6c498d23522d3f04d52980eaf61598b.jpeg

Very nice match, pen to ink.... but as I've mentioned before my Penman Sapphire is much darker than yours and leans toward a very dark teal.

54 minutes ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

My Parker Pennman sapphire cartridges don't have it either....no sheen, nothing special in any way.:crybaby:And not so vibrantly blue.

I know, PGS;s Penman Sapphire is very vibrantly blue....  

I just took out my Penman Sapphire.  the box has '99 written on it.  I wrote some samples on Optik paper because we all have it.  I used two dip pen nibs.  A Pilot Fine and a Kaigelu Medium which is a M-B

large.IMG_6325800.jpg.c6b664674263f64e092e986b9547155b.jpg

large.IMG_6328006.jpg.3a28a714651e51acefa2fc0488e592b0.jpg

large.IMG_6327800.jpg.a9bf81444063246725aac8dd2abf28cf.jpg

large.IMG_6328800.jpg.b3dbe768c0fd762e44a03e317ac2e48a.jpg

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

27 minutes ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Unfortunately, Soennecken was always two levels higher than my budget.....the MP's were mostly live auction wins...

And I've run into none there.

In the '50s Soennecken made the best fountain pen in the world.

Later Soennecken nibs had Degussa (Osmia) nibs, as they lost the war. They didn't jump into the ball point market soon enough like MB & Pelikan, so died.

Geha's slightly better/more springy nibs be that gold or steel (not counting the school pens)...were better than Pelikans. Geha used Degussa nibs.

Two posters that I respect(ed) haven't seen in a hell of a long time; don't know if they passed or not, mentioned that. I took 4-5 Pelikans vs 4-5 Geha's of the '50-60's era and found it to be true. Have to be OCD/nit picky to find that out.

I have small hand full of steel Degussa superflex nibs; Easy Full Flex by my system.

I se no reason that Degussa couldn't have made gold wet noodles for Soennecken if wished.

I have no idea when my finest Wet Noodle Soennecken nib was made and by whom.

I was quite happy with three, then spun around in a circle until dizzy and find out with out trying I have 6-7 Wet Noodles......................:unsure: I still haven't taken the time to learn to write with them.....Just basic scribbling.

I would expect a Sonnecken nib to be At Least semi-flex.

I once saw a spool of Degussa gold for sale, at the time didn’t realize what I was looking at.  

I would have been happy had my PMS shaded. Bluer than the dark sample....Blue...darker than 4001 royal blue.........I obviously do PPS in the middle of other colors of inks , in I can't rack my mind to match a blue.

Because Degussa took the nib factory of Osmia (who was always broke) for debt in 1932, they had to continue making Osmia nibs....and nibs for all the many companies Osmia made nibs for...for the longest time Degussa was the Bock of it's day. ...As a side business to manufacturing and dealing in gold and silver....as they still do.

Having maxi-semi-flex from 4-5 different German companies, WAG'ed that those companies got which ever  gold wheel  was available due to bookkeeper or warehouse stupidity...in none of the other company's advertised a more bouncy semi-flex.

Advertising cost lots of extra money....and Osmia had that market....is my only explanation of why maxi is...so hard to find, or recognize if one finds it.

As a noobie....I knew nothing of maxi-semi-flex...in I'd not invented the term yet. The pen that started my addiction, O-F-C mdl 540.ndEYUCd.jpg

And my first 400nn were both Maxi-semi-flex.........

The first I thought it was that sopping wet line noobies wanted  some 15 years ago.....and was glad enough the Pelikan was semi-flex....and didn't learn better until much later.

My Rupp nib....1922-70, was my WoW....that certainly is a maxi-semi-flex. And found 5 of my 20 semi-flex were maxi's.:yikes:

......................Do I want a maxi more than semi??? Yep.

Do I push maxi for the easier fancy...Nope...Too Lazy.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Beware! Spam continues unashamedly 😊

10401.thumb.jpg.b6afd10dc49b04ef1175c4f3829355da.jpg

I do have many types of paper, as well as inks (although so far it may seem like I'm a Herbin shill). I'm trying to pick inks according to my perceived character of each pen, rather than seeking mere color-matching.

That said, I'm not so sure about the M1000*; any suggestions?

*I've paired married my M805 Stresemann permanently to GvFC "Stone Grey" and I'm not budging 😛

Too big for me, I even find an 800 too big for me, but I have a number of Vintage semi-flex stripped 400's like that.

:wub:  that ink.............and I'd no idea of it.

Some of my best shading inks are Herbin.

Thanks for telling me about that ink.:thumbup:

That ink is very pretty, @lamarax- as is your Pelikan. It is tad larger than my wont, but those M1000 nibs are very nice. The ink is a very good match. The shading is like the semitransparent barrel. I am not necessarily a matchy person in terms of ink, but when it does happen, I get a kick out of it. Herbin is such good ink when paired with a wet German nib. I love Iroful paper as well. 

Spam, spam, spam 😁

45019.thumb.jpg.060cec14b52bfb22fb7358fd12afc19f.jpg

We now turn to a euro-japanese mash! Sailor #752 is a gorgeous deep purple ink, that doesn't show true in the photo because my phone is (bleep)!

(Next comes the japanese-euro mash. Stay tuned!)

That’s lovely, @lamarax! Here’s my own  German /Japanese/ Korean mashup, my 144 Solitaire Doué F inked with Sailor’s 2022 Pen Show Exclusive ink with Wearingeul Brain Glitter Potion added. 

large.IMG_1176.jpeg.83454d99cbf0aa2173e503572d1aba30.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

That’s lovely, @lamarax! Here’s my own  German /Japanese/ Korean mashup, my 144 Solitaire Doué F inked with Sailor’s 2022 Pen Show Exclusive ink with Wearingeul Brain Glitter Potion added. 

😍 I love it! I love the classic Doué! I have that in the 146 version, and it's the most extravagant MB issue that I'd personally ever touch again (well, except maybe for a couple of the heritage editions 😀)

Your mashup wins! What's the paper tho?

1 hour ago, lamarax said:

What's the paper tho?

Same as the last sample, Sanrio China Daolin paper. 

Thank you for the compliment; this 144 and a matching 114 Mozart Mini are my latest pen show finds. I prefer the smaller pens. I hope to one day buy a glacier doué in the Classique size. 

My attempt at this kind of pic...

Cosmo Snow Booklet from Paper Penguin

Pilot 743 <SFM>

Sailor Manyo Konagi

large.IMG_6331800.jpg.fbbd888f218d4af8ca1f9ca98a72e2f9.jpg

8 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

Lovely pairing!

53 minutes ago, USG said:

My attempt at this kind of pic...

Cosmo Snow Booklet from Paper Penguin

Pilot 743 <SFM>

Sailor Manyo Konagi

large.IMG_6331800.jpg.fbbd888f218d4af8ca1f9ca98a72e2f9.jpg

That is very nice too...you're going to make me get some Konagi!

On 8/6/2024 at 8:37 PM, Penguincollector said:

I am out on the patio with my Parker IM Monochrome Blue, using up the last of the Parker Penman Sapphire cartridge. My notebook is a Sanrio China spiral bound A5 with off white Daolin paper.  large.IMG_4652.jpeg.b6c498d23522d3f04d52980eaf61598b.jpeg

/whispers psssst I have more.

On 8/8/2024 at 7:26 AM, RedPie said:

Very beautiful! @USG

thank you RP 😀👍

CLICK TO ENLARGE

ORIG.IMG_63512668.jpg.3eb546e934ee7c42e577d088ebb58d27.jpg

OPEN IN NEW TAB AND  ENLARGE, IT'S VERY BIG

large.IMG_63512664..jpg.be8ad9ab39b1ebd0d9d38e195c13f1e5.jpg