Pen/Ink/Paper Trios

Penguincollector

4 hours ago, fireant said:

It was a very cute pen. The pen belonged to Mike W and he was giving them away. The really cute Peter Pan (the one with the flowers but no nib) actually found a home with Melissa, apparently she had a spare nib. It was a match made in heaven!

It was so fun seeing you today! ❤️

Thanks for sharing the bounty that was Mike’s giveaway! I couldn’t remember his first name for the life of me last night while posting. I’m so glad Melissa has a teeny tiny nib for that adorable Salz. It was very fun spending time with you yesterday!🧡

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• USG

• Penguincollector

• Bo Bo Olson

• Mercian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today I am trying to write my TWSBI Eco dry. There’s still so much ink in that feed. Paper is unknown, from Penworld in Antwerp. They’re so nice, they sent me a few pages to try. large.739864725.511487public.jpeg.253f098a3dfd0c0e831a0ade7b32be48.jpeg

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

The EoC on the Glassine is so beautiful, @USG- reminds me of a mallard’s head in the sunshine. 

No one has done a review on Pelikan Golden Lapis.

Golden Lapis is a disappointment like most Glitter inks I have outside Diamine Arctic Blue, which also  has papers it don't work well on.

Revision...Geha 52 wet BB semi-flex. There will be lots less shading in it is a wet semi-flex nib, and shading happens more on a drier regular flex nib.

Overhead, side tall lamp and quartering desk lamp.

AB=  Diamine Arctic Blue..OB.. GL= Pelikan Golden Lapis...M. Revised RGL wet semi-flex BB nib

There will be slight differences between a B and a M.

Kyome 70g....AB good shading, some glitter seen no tilted. GL= zilch. RGL.....good shading, good glitter in the blue and the few heavy letters in Pelikan Golden Lapis BB, were gold sand glitter.

Mondi 100g. AB..some shading, some glitter. GL very little shading, some glitter more when tilted. RGL...no shading lots of golden sands glitter.

Mondi 120g. AB some shading, some glitter. GL minor shading, ..minor glitter tilted. RGS....lots of golden sand glitter...helps to go deep in the bottle when filling.....some small shading.

Eaton's corrasable old typing paper 'medium weight' 16 pound 25% rag

AB, real good shading  nice glitter. GL adequate shading, no glitteer even tilted. RGL...major glitter..small shading as expected with such a wet nib, pressed for width.

M&K 95 g office paper, was once called typing paper and still is. Typing papers are only coated on the front side....in it's typing paper and not designed for use on the back. AB real nice shading, good glitter. GL, decent shading, have to tilt for glitter. RGL...major glitter sand...small shading as expected from an extra wet nib.

Zander's Gohorsmuhle bond 80g..B side.AB very good shading,  some glitter. GL minor shading, adaquate glitter. RGL...major golden glitter and enough smaller glitter in the blue to shine.

CT 90g.  AB...good shading, good glitter. GL, some shading tilt for glitter. RGL some small shading, some blue glitter and some golden sand glitter.

Neusieder Japan Post 90g B side. AB is good shading, good glitter. GL is adequate middling shading, tilt for glitter. RGL...some shading, some glitter in the blue and bery nice heavy gold sand glitter.

170G Gmund...AB..good shading No glitter...GL adequate shading, No glitter...RGL...some shading, some glitter in the blue and major gold sand glitter on may letters.

Avery Zweckform 170 g B side.

My...The Paper for Shading.

AB- good shading..tilt for glitter. GL ok shading, no glitter. RGL...shading, some glitter inthe blue, and major gold glitter in at least one letter in every word. Combined with the shading very, very good.

comment removed in Claes got me on the right track. Pelikan Golden Lapis is an adequate shader in an M, just not the Shading Monster  Artic Blue is.

In a semi-flex BB, Pelikan Golden Lapis shines.

The tones of blue are different AB a tad towards teal, GL a regular blue.

GL has to be shaken strong even after letting the bottle set for two or less minutes. (A mistake.)

The time I went for gold...I shook the bottle and was deep in the bottle as the glitter settled to the bottom....and got major glitter.

I seemed to have learned to get more glitter shake just enough to empty the bottom of the bottle, and then fill from the bottom of the bottle. I really wished someone had told me that. I was shaking heavy and getting little. It appears it's shake it just enough to get the glitter off the bottom and go for it as it settles. Not filling from the top of the shaken bottle.

Now that I've made that decision, there are four Diamine glitter inks that will get the same treatment....Not Arctic Blue.

Diamine Arctic Blue is the superior ink in all ways...too bad there was no review of GL, so I could have added this.

Claes, got me to hunt up a very wide wet nib....and the Golden Lapis worked.

It did not work or work well in a Pelikan springy regular flex 200 M.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Line 6 = Golden Lapis. Paper dependant, as well as dependant on proper direction of light:

goldenLapis.jpg.d4d193cf6eda25f21d1c63ffca0dd2cf.jpg

Claes made me get a wide wet nib....so everything changed.

Claes,

I didn't have that much 'golden sand' no matter how I tilted the paper under the table lamp, which is sitting at 30 degrees. With overhead, and a tall lamp next to my desk.

I think the electric flash of the handi, helps get that much glitter.

or I got to wait a minute or more after shaking and fill from the bottom.???? I noticed after only two minutes the bottom was growing golden...faster than most of my other glitter inks.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

And of course it depends on how wet your nib flows

(er... the pen's nib).

All I could find 'wide' was a Pelikan 200M.

I could have tried my Pelikan 500 OBBB maxi-semi-flex, with 30degree grind, but I considered that a bit of over kill.

All my B nibs are inked. :wallbash: I There was that medium-small Osmia 52 with a semi-flex BB nib.....filling  from the bottom of a quick settling glitter ink, in that wide wet nib was such a Game Changer.

Golden Lapis worked, and well.

I will have to try that trick of filling from the bottom of the bottle as the glitter ink settles. My Diamine inks settle slower than this Pelikan ink.

13 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

The EoC on the Glassine is so beautiful, @USG- reminds me of a mallard’s head in the sunshine. 

I bought a Japanese ink once. The online picture on reddit looked like a beautiful pile of pheasant feathers. 

Yeah not so much in person. I was so sad.

9 hours ago, fireant said:

I bought a Japanese ink once. The online picture on reddit looked like a beautiful pile of pheasant feathers. 

Color sadness is real. It happens to me with green often. Apparently what ink makers, especially old school ones, see as green-I see as teal. I love teals, don’t get me wrong, but when something says green I have certain expectations.

I wote a few things last night, but was too tired to post before bed. 

First photo is of a teal Parker 45 GT (I should really switch the cap with one of my extras as the plating is damaged) with a gold F nib, with @dcwaites’ PPS recipe #9 with a bit of Diamine Beau Blue added. Paper is a Sanrio Tuxedo Sam card from 2011.  

Second photo: I love using teal on pink paper, maybe it’s the result of growing up in Miami. Sheaffer No Nonsense IF nib, Sheaffer Green (Slovenia); paper is the verso of the thank you note from Yamamoto.    

large.740155393.410474public.jpeg.fe7b6dc01796c38a24599ba87e807237.jpeglarge.740155385.980687public.jpeg.a50a1e3ece75da26870eaf7c7ba9a24a.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2024 at 1:04 AM, fireant said:

Hi FA I'm curious, which Japanese ink you were talking about.  😀👍

On 6/15/2024 at 11:00 AM, Penguincollector said:

I wote a few things last night, but was too tired to post before bed. 

First photo is of a teal Parker 45 GT (I should really switch the cap with one of my extras as the plating is damaged) with a gold F nib, with @dcwaites’ PPS recipe #9 with a bit of Diamine Beau Blue added. Paper is a Sanrio Tuxedo Sam card from 2011.  

Second photo: I love using teal on pink paper, maybe it’s the result of growing up in Miami. Sheaffer No Nonsense IF nib, Sheaffer Green (Slovenia); paper is the verso of the thank you note from Yamamoto.    

large.740155393.410474public.jpeg.fe7b6dc01796c38a24599ba87e807237.jpeglarge.740155385.980687public.jpeg.a50a1e3ece75da26870eaf7c7ba9a24a.jpeg

Hey PGC every time I see your Parker 45, it makes me want to take out mine and write with it...  I had my 45 filled with a slightly rehydrated cartridge of Penman Mocha which finally got used up in this last writing.  I took out my bottle of what's left of my Penman Mocha and had a look at it.  It was on the thick side so I rehydrated it a little and refilled the cartridge.   Unfortunately I didn't take any pics. 🤥

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

For the past few days I've been giving my Roller Ball and Gel pens some attention.

large.IMG_6180800.jpg.58cd2e6c4ee1c923d9745a166e655d5a.jpg

large.IMG_6186800B.jpg.6f4640bdf9be7eaf2c41d00bdaf40737.jpg

I took the Usual Suspects out for a spin.....

large.IMG_6191800.jpg.a07a243bcd616cb9245ea8f147d7435d.jpg

@USG do you have that brown roller ball color that you were looking to match in fp ink? 

7 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

@USG do you have that brown roller ball color that you were looking to match in fp ink? 

Hi PGC, I was never able to find a fountain pen ink that matched that Gel brown, while it was in my Lamy 2K Rollerball... which now has a Purple Schmidt 888 ceramic rollerball refill in it....  oh well 😀👍

• 4 weeks later...

Last night I was playing around with the Wearingeul Frost glitter potion, and put some in a cartridge of Herbin Orange Indien. I was a bit heavier handed than I wanted to be, and the shimmer kept clogging the feed, so I added a drop of White Lightning. It made the nib less crisp somehow but the results are very shiny, however my eye doesn’t see any blue to the shimmer that it is supposed to have. Maruman paper, MB 144 IB nib.large.IMG_1145.jpeg.be02a9c46da665a5f99f5d1329af3a66.jpeg

This was a fun one, a veritable symphony of fountain pens on a surprisingly nice sheet of paper. I tried 11 different pens and inks on an Indonesian legal pad, from needlepoint to 1.1mm stub. It’s a bunch of information that I wrote as part of each sample on the page, so I will let the picture tell the story. However, peep that Golden Lapis- it’s just lovely, and that’s a soft fine nib! large.IMG_1148.jpeg.a53e172c880ccb5fa4a34a58fed5f742.jpeglarge.IMG_1149.jpeg.65fa175f3f29b6f7b29ea383c2b64774.jpeg

I discovered by mistake, to shake my bottle of Golden Lapis, and then fill from the bottom as the glitter settles down.....suddenly the Golden Sands everyone was showing pictures of, was there.

Before that I shook the bottle well and filled from the top. And got only disappointment, outside the Herbin Storm, but that was a dark ink. Arctic blue works well too.

I have 4 old Diamine glitter inks to revisit.

I do recommend Diamine Arctic Blue, as a glitter full and filled from the top ink. Can't wait to try it  filled from the bottom with settling glitter.