Pen/Ink/Paper Trios

Penguincollector

9 hours ago, Claes said:

🙂

Those are a part of my collection of Chinese, Japanese and Korean Ink Sticks.

Most are relatively modern, but there are a few from the 1800s as well.

I do consider ink freshly prepared from an Ink Stick being the very best ink available.

Too bad it cannot be used in a fountain pen...

I love using ink sticks for brush work, but it’s been about 20 years. I still have all of my stuff but rarely use it.  That’s an awesome collection. 

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• USG

• Penguincollector

• Bo Bo Olson

• Mercian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

Is it more shimmery in person? 

I tried to take a pic of those Diamine inks showing their colors rather than their shimmer or their sheens.  I'll follow up with some close up sheen pics. 😀👍

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

12 hours ago, Claes said:

treasures_b.jpg.5a837284aedb2cf2fc47d4a8e10a3b8e.jpg

@Penguincollector More on Diamine's Vermilion...

During the decades, I have played a lot with *genuine* pigment-based Vermilion

(i.e. Mercuric Sulphide, Zinnober, Cinnabar &c) and I consider that Diamine's dye-based variety has quite a good colour faithfulness. It's somewhat paper dependent, though, since it is a dyestuff instead of an opaque, covering pigment.

Ink Sticks, Fantastic Claes....👍😀 

I've seen videos but I don't have any ink sticks.  Now I have to try it.

What would you recommend as an ink stick starting point?

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

Morning @USG!

an ink stick can cost anything from next to nothing up to your country's BNP. At least the precious ones. Do you have any "Chinese or Asian" food shop nearby? Does not have to be an artist store. Ask whether they have an ink stick, ink stone, and a small Chinese brush. Do buy separate items, beware of fancy looking tourist trap sets. Also a small pack or roll of paper meant for ink stick painting or writing. I.e. so called rice paper.

11 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

I love using ink sticks for brush work, but it’s been about 20 years. I still have all of my stuff but rarely use it.  That’s an awesome collection. 

My mom got me a set -- including an ink stick and ink stone, IIRC -- for doing Chinese calligraphy and brush painting -- when my parents took a trip to mainland China in 1980, when it was opening back up to the West; but I've never opened it.  Not even sure where it is in the house at this point.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

10 hours ago, Claes said:

Morning @USG!

an ink stick can cost anything from next to nothing up to your country's BNP. At least the precious ones. Do you have any "Chinese or Asian" food shop nearby? Does not have to be an artist store. Ask whether they have an ink stick, ink stone, and a small Chinese brush. Do buy separate items, beware of fancy looking tourist trap sets. Also a small pack or roll of paper meant for ink stick painting or writing. I.e. so called rice paper.

I bought my stone, stick, and brushes at Eastern Bookstore in NYC’s Chinatown (in 1999, but I think they’re still open). I have found calligraphy rice paper from Daiso at thrift stores, so if you have a Daiso (we just got one somewhat close) nearby, they may have some supplies.

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

On 6/6/2024 at 12:27 AM, USG said:

Hi Senzen

How would you compare Kokuyo KB 64 to HP 32? 😀

I really like smooth paper like the HP 32, the Kokuyo 64 is rougher but much thinner; both help produce nice ink colours. So I would say the latter is an acquired taste once you stop expecting glassy smoothness, more practical for daily use as it doesn't take as long to dry.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I will do six Diamine inks on seven papers.

Kensington Blue with a P-51 OM

Ultra green with a Pelikan 481 M

Chocolate Brown Geha 760 semi-flex OB

Majestic Purple Pelikan 200 M.

China Blue Geha 780 M, semi-flex.

...............glitter ink........

Arctic Blue, Pelikan 400 OB semi-flex. A Shade Monster...tilt for glitter.

.............pens.......

Medium small was very popular in Germany in the '50-60's, like the Pelikan 140 or Kaweco Dia or Osmia 62. This is a medium-small semi-flex Geha 760.ebmeyTq.jpg

Standard sized pen, like a Pelikan 400, Esterbrook DJ or a P-75...Geha semi-flex 780. A somewhat rare pen. I'd had some Geha pens for 7-8 years before a member showed up with six 780's in different colors.And I had never heard of a full colored 780.5rhiDcF.jpg

The rest are normal pens I didn't see a need to make a photograph of...P-51, Pelikan vintage green stripped 400 semi-flex, black 200, black 481...the 200 before it became the 200.

1Brz4XU.jpg

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

7Wc77X7.jpg

I forgot to mention...being cheap, a number of the papers are using the B side...the back, which normally has a lesser coating than the A side.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

hq9bjIL.jpg

Arctic Blue is a Shading Monster on all papers...on all papers...tilt for glitter.

Ultra Green and to my surprise Chocolate Brown shaded about the same on the best papers...not so much on the better papers.

Best papers, Avery Zweckforn 170g, Avery Zweckform 170 g is the best for shading inks...but it feels way too slick.  $$$ Gmund 170g, Mondi 120 g (not as much shading as hoped).

Next level down...Neuseidler Japan Post 90g, (glad I have a lot of this), Zander's Gohorsmuehle bond/80g will be superior printer paper, good for shading when I edit. CT= Clairefontaine Triomphe 90g,...didn't shade as much as expected.

and last Kyome 70g, which would = Oxford Optic 90g or Clairefontaine veloute 90g...Nothing was shading there but the Arctic Blue.

I prefer not to have to bring out the best papers for the shading. And I expected shading on any of the papers I used...even the Kyome/Oxford.

Perhaps I made a mistake, but with 30 pens inked, I had to use some semi-flex M or B with pens.

The other major point is In all but one paper the Mondi 120g, I was using the B side....It could make a difference.

@Bo Bo Olson, it’s early here, so I might just not have caught it, but what pen did you write the paper information with on each page? It looks like an italic of some sort.  Your Gehas are gorgeous, I wish I could find some as pretty. I really like the way the inks look on the Avery Zweckform, especially the Chocolate Brown, to my surprise. The Clairefontaine was the one out of the rest that I also really enjoyed the shading. While the Kyome may not have shown the shading to its best advantage, the more blue shades do show shading and all the colors look really bold on that paper. 

I have been working on a few samples, but I just didn’t want to deal with taking pictures until last night, so here’s a photo dump of my latest scribblings- all the information should be in the writing samples.large.739553799.426537public.jpeg.08b645ccd85ea5872bca2f61c34105a9.jpeglarge.IMG_1015.jpeg.4c30d26977706c51e4f6ef18dfc6f107.jpeglarge.IMG_1016.jpeg.52464d6c9b2e6fcaa63ca0e37717d9fc.jpeglarge.IMG_1017.jpeg.84c95384d9c0400a0580cd257c2ac58e.jpeglarge.IMG_1019.jpeg.1c00aa207e1fb5aa93d268fcbfc5d792.jpeg

The pen in this one is only about half described: 1928-31 Parker Duofold “True Blue” Vest pen. Paper is made by Papaya Legal Pads.

3 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Kensington Blue with a P-51 OM

Ultra green with a Pelikan 481 M

Chocolate Brown Geha 760 semi-flex OB

Majestic Purple Pelikan 200 M.

China Blue Geha 780 M, semi-flex.

...............glitter ink........

Arctic Blue, Pelikan 400 OB semi-flex. A Shade Monster...tilt for glitte

I have a Parker 50 as was just shown...must be a double ball B, and a Parker 15 that English designed Parker with the bottle neck barrel.

Penguincollector, what is the name of the mauve binder and what paper is in it?  

Take your time answering.

image.thumb.png.22259c29e261f537cdbb2698e6b9e2bb.png

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

@Anne-Sophie, the paper is Daolin graph paper, from China. The binder is from Sanrio China, it’s a Badtz -Maru variant, they have one for each character, pretty much, in pastel colors. I paid about $13 for it on AliExpress around December.  Here’s the link:

Sanrio Daolin Paper Planner

6 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

I have a Parker 50 as was just shown...must be a double ball B, and a Parker 15 that English designed Parker with the bottle neck barrel.

The 50 definitely has a giant ball of tipping, but it’s awesome in its own way. 

9 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

@Anne-Sophie, the paper is Daolin graph paper, from China. The binder is from Sanrio China, it’s a Badtz -Maru variant, they have one for each character, pretty much, in pastel colors. I paid about $13 for it on AliExpress around December.  Here’s the link:

Sanrio Daolin Paper Planner

Thank you for the info! I think the size is A6, if I am not mistaken? 

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

19 hours ago, Anne-Sophie said:

Thank you for the info! I think the size is A6, if I am not mistaken? 

The listing says that it’s A6. 

Today’s trio is super fun- I sampled some Birmingham Pen Co. Emerald Fusion, courtesy of @fireant, in this tiny little Treasure Favorite Mini pen, that she let me keep. The paper is a Cross notebook that I like to log inked pens in with a writing sample.  This little pen is half the size of a Sailor KOP.  The brown celluloid is really pretty. large.739689914.437695public.jpeg.dca1d0b806b77b95113f55256cbba098.jpeg

2 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

Today’s trio is super fun- I sampled some Birmingham Pen Co. Emerald Fusion, courtesy of @fireant, in this tiny little Treasure Favorite Mini pen, that she let me keep. The paper is a Cross notebook that I like to log inked pens in with a writing sample.  This little pen is half the size of a Sailor KOP.  The brown celluloid is really pretty. 

It was a very cute pen. The pen belonged to Mike W and he was giving them away. The really cute Peter Pan (the one with the flowers but no nib) actually found a home with Melissa, apparently she had a spare nib. It was a match made in heaven!

It was so fun seeing you today! ❤️