Pen/Ink/Paper Trios

Penguincollector

That looks amazing!

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• USG

• Penguincollector

• Bo Bo Olson

• Mercian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, USG said:

Pelikan M800 (M)

Diamine Polar Glow

Kin-Kaku-Den, Washi Paper (smooth side)

large.IMG_6075800.jpg.1bff0db1e1ea03eac8acb216ddde83b7.jpg

large.IMG_6073800.jpg.b33b355a43109e8654eaf16b0a8107c8.jpg

I really love Polar Glow. 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

This belongs in the Yamamoto Paper post but I can't get back in there to  add this...

Many Pens, Many Inks

WASHI PAPER MUSINGS

KIN-KAKU-DEN

large.IMG_6096800.jpg.4ee0fca3cf99cb62ce97b12b6a700030.jpg

large.IMG_6098800.jpg.789b463de6a373376da37229a5b1b35d.jpg

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

Good experiment today.

Paper Tumba Ledger with 25% rag.

Pen 1940s Waterman Champion w stub nib.

Inks: see scribble.

Edelstein Golden Lapis really shimmers here.

So das Kölsche Tinte, as well as Lamy Blackberry.

goldenLapis.jpg

23 hours ago, Claes said:

Good experiment today.

Paper Tumba Ledger with 25% rag.

Pen 1940s Waterman Champion w stub nib.

Inks: see scribble.

Edelstein Golden Lapis really shimmers here.

So das Kölsche Tinte, as well as Lamy Blackberry.

goldenLapis.jpg

Nice @Claes  That Golden Lapis looks great....  Anyway, excuse my Cluelessness.  what is the first ink?  Is it an abbreviation for Waterman Black?  Also you have a word that starts with an "L".  Looks like 'Lesnd' which Google translates as "Reading" but that doesn't seem right.... finally what color is your Verdigris, it looks blue on my screen? 😀👍

I also have questions, @Claes. The black inks look red on my screen, the verdegris royal blue. The golden lapis  looks very light under the shimmer as well. I thought the mystery word  was “Lund.” I really like your handwriting (no surprise that a calligrapher has a pretty hand) and hope you add many more pictures to the thread.

Morning, @USG and @Penguincollector

Wman = Waterman.

Correct: scribble equals "Lund". I use it because I have a very heavy end-down-stroke on the "d", which makes some nibs flex beautifully.

Re colors: those snaps were taken with my mobile phone; ifg time permits, I will use a better camera today.

Color of inks in this case also depends on the angle of incoming light; some inks are duo-tone.

A-n-d color management is tricky!!!

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Same Tumba Ledger 25% rag paper, now shot with another camera

and lit from another angle.

I added a few more inks for fun:

Asa-Gao

Damson

Ancient Copper

Caroube de Chypre

Vermilion

Lamy Crystal Azurite

Presently, Kölsche Tinte is my very favourite, flows well in the Kaweco DIY Sport <F> and starts when I want it to.

goldenLapisNew.jpg

No worries, @Claes, the angle of the light made the Golden Lapis look so pretty, I started looking for an ink that matches the way it looked. My GL is much darker in person. Is the Vermillion from Diamine? It’s gorgeous on Tumba paper. The Kölsche Tinte and the Azurite also show to advantage. It’s hard to get ink to show up how it looks to you in person on a camera, then add everyone else’s screen and it’s basically a game of telephone. 

I have a ton of writing samples I haven’t shown. I need to photograph them and add to the discussion.

I really enjoy Clairefontaine clothbound notebooks, so much so I keep writing on the from different sides when they are full as they are not cheap; they are a great way to know if a pen is smooth or not; as well as the one Rhodia pad that remains, and what's left of the original Tomoe River ream.

I ran out of HP 32 lbs paper some time ago, it was also nice to write on, if much thicker, and prices went up significantly in my country so it's no longer a no brainer. I've been using Kokuyo 64 reams, it has taken me a little while to appreciate them as they feel much less smooth than the other ones, with the advantage of quicker drying,  nice ink colours and much thinner sheets; just handling it is a nice experience. A few of my pens manage the distinction of being smooth even on this paper.

I expected more from a recent edition of the Nanamipaper Standard, the paper is a more grabby than Tomoe River and with wet pens there's some bleed through, but it's usable. Hobonichi Techo is a really nice notebook, probably currently the best option for me.

I write with a light hand (ex grip of death) and I care a lot about ink colour and consistency; ink and pen combinations matter a lot, I experienced for the first time one that was too slippery: Waterman 33 possibly M, Tsuyu Kusa and a Clairefontaine notebook; works better with Gulf Blue, still smooth but not too much, it's a shame the pen dries out little too quickly for my taste as I really enjoy that ink in its lighter shade.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

10 hours ago, senzen said:

I really enjoy Clairefontaine clothbound notebooks, so much so I keep writing on the from different sides when they are full as they are not cheap; they are a great way to know if a pen is smooth or not; as well as the one Rhodia pad that remains, and what's left of the original Tomoe River ream.

I ran out of HP 32 lbs paper some time ago, it was also nice to write on, if much thicker, and prices went up significantly in my country so it's no longer a no brainer. I've been using Kokuyo 64 reams, it has taken me a little while to appreciate them as they feel much less smooth than the other ones, with the advantage of quicker drying,  nice ink colours and much thinner sheets; just handling it is a nice experience. A few of my pens manage the distinction of being smooth even on this paper.

I expected more from a recent edition of the Nanamipaper Standard, the paper is a more grabby than Tomoe River and with wet pens there's some bleed through, but it's usable. Hobonichi Techo is a really nice notebook, probably currently the best option for me.

I write with a light hand (ex grip of death) and I care a lot about ink colour and consistency; ink and pen combinations matter a lot, I experienced for the first time one that was too slippery: Waterman 33 possibly M, Tsuyu Kusa and a Clairefontaine notebook; works better with Gulf Blue, still smooth but not too much, it's a shame the pen dries out little too quickly for my taste as I really enjoy that ink in its lighter shade.

Hi Senzen

How would you compare Kokuyo KB 64 to HP 32? 😀

20 hours ago, Claes said:

Same Tumba Ledger 25% rag paper, now shot with another camera

and lit from another angle.

I added a few more inks for fun:

Asa-Gao

Damson

Ancient Copper

Caroube de Chypre

Vermilion

Lamy Crystal Azurite

Presently, Kölsche Tinte is my very favourite, flows well in the Kaweco DIY Sport <F> and starts when I want it to.

goldenLapisNew.jpg

Very nice job Claes....😀👍

Last night...

6 JInhao Pens

6 Diamine Inks

Glassine paper

large.IMG_6113800.jpg.59a643cfbf7f1a2ac5d4bd491f15fdf1.jpg

19 hours ago, senzen said:

I wonder if you would enjoy Clairefontaine’s SmartPrint line. I lucked out and found a ream on eBay for a very good price and it’s very nice. It’s not as high a gsm as the notebooks, but it comes in 50-70 gsm  Here’s the information on it: 

SmartPrint paper

I don’t know where you’re located, but here in the US, there is an online Clairefontaine outlet, there may be something similar by you.  

If you want to try some SmartPrint, message me your address and I can send a few pages.

Thanks, @Claes.  I’m putting it on my Cult Pens list. 

9 hours ago, USG said:

Last night...

6 JInhao Pens

6 Diamine Inks

Glassine paper

large.IMG_6113800.jpg.59a643cfbf7f1a2ac5d4bd491f15fdf1.jpg

Is it more shimmery in person? 

treasures_b.jpg.5a837284aedb2cf2fc47d4a8e10a3b8e.jpg

@Penguincollector More on Diamine's Vermilion...

During the decades, I have played a lot with *genuine* pigment-based Vermilion

(i.e. Mercuric Sulphide, Zinnober, Cinnabar &c) and I consider that Diamine's dye-based variety has quite a good colour faithfulness. It's somewhat paper dependent, though, since it is a dyestuff instead of an opaque, covering pigment.

4 minutes ago, Claes said:

treasures_b.jpg.5a837284aedb2cf2fc47d4a8e10a3b8e.jpg

@Penguincollector More on Diamine's Vermilion...

During the decades, I have played a lot with *genuine* pigment-based Vermilion

(i.e. Mercuric Sulphide, Zinnober, Cinnabar &c) and I consider that Diamine's dye-based variety has quite a good colour faithfulness. It's somewhat paper dependent, though, since it is a dyestuff instead of an opaque, covering pigment.

That’s a lovely photo, reminds me of home.  I’m happy to hear that about the Diamine, as vermilion is a special color. 

🙂

Those are a part of my collection of Chinese, Japanese and Korean Ink Sticks.

Most are relatively modern, but there are a few from the 1800s as well.

I do consider ink freshly prepared from an Ink Stick being the very best ink available.

Too bad it cannot be used in a fountain pen...