Pen/Ink/Paper Trios

Penguincollector

@USG

>feathered on my most recent Cosmo Snow paper, like it wasn't really Cosmo Snow paper.

Sigh. In today's world the important thing seems to be who owns the trade mark/product name.

What actual product to use that name on is quite another matter.

Last month, our stationery was manufactured by XXX. But we got a better quote from YYY,

so this month, YYY it is.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• USG

• Penguincollector

• Bo Bo Olson

• Mercian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Claes said:

@USG

>feathered on my most recent Cosmo Snow paper, like it wasn't really Cosmo Snow paper.

Sigh. In today's world the important thing seems to be who owns the trade mark/product name.

What actual product to use that name on is quite another matter.

Last month, our stationery was manufactured by XXX. But we got a better quote from YYY,

so this month, YYY it is.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Hi Clase.

I get all my Cosmo Snow paper from the same vendor.  Same packaging same label.  Probably a different batch.  Doesn't matter really, it's been discontinued and when the supply runs out, it's gone.

Have you done any experimenting with yours?

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

1 hour ago, USG said:

Hi LTM, how have you been?   😀

I have Ajisai in 3 pens, Waterman Liaison (M), Pilot 742 FA and Leonardo Furore (M) and I don't recall seeing any shading.  My experience is that because Ajisai is a very wet ink, the ink flow precludes shading. 

But wait, I'll try them again now.

Much to my chagrin, I just wrote with all three pens.  There was no shading but the Pilot 742 FA feathered on my most recent Cosmo Snow paper, like it wasn't really Cosmo Snow paper.  I took a  screen shot on Google Translate to see what the Japanese lettering said, and it claims to be Cosmo Snow paper so I don't know.  I turned it over and the other side seems better, so maybe it was a bad sheet.

I tried it on Iroful and Tomoe River S and no feathering.  I would hate to think there's a problem with the new Cosmo paper. 😱

:)

I hope your Cosmo paper isn't from a bad batch!

I don't have Ajisai anymore as I gave my bottle away at the Pelikan show, so maybe I'm confused with another ink (Tsuyu-Kusa?). I do remember some shading, which (blasphemy!) I really don't care for, hence why I could have gotten rid of the bottle, but?

I quickly looked at a few reviews and some showed some shading and others didn't. Maybe you have to look very hard for it, and use a very dry pen (I did have some dry pens that I adjusted since). Dunno. 

4 hours ago, USG said:

I turned it over and the other side seems better, so maybe it was a bad sheet.

All papers have two sides the A and the B, with the A being the front side of the ream.

And B being the worst of the two.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

5 hours ago, Lithium466 said:

:)

I hope your Cosmo paper isn't from a bad batch!

I don't have Ajisai anymore as I gave my bottle away at the Pelikan show, so maybe I'm confused with another ink (Tsuyu-Kusa?). I do remember some shading, which (blasphemy!) I really don't care for, hence why I could have gotten rid of the bottle, but?

I quickly looked at a few reviews and some showed some shading and others didn't. Maybe you have to look very hard for it, and use a very dry pen (I did have some dry pens that I adjusted since). Dunno. 

I think you’re right.  Probably need a very dry pen.😀👍

3 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

All papers have two sides the A and the B, with the A being the front side of the ream.

And B being the worst of the two.

Thanks for the reminder. 😀👍  I forgot that we had this conversation previously, when we were discussing Southworth Paper, which has two visibly different sides.  I’ll take a close look at my Cosmo paper and see if I can see anything that would identify one side as A and the other as B.   I try to be careful with orientation, but it might have gotten turned around when I cut the A4s into A5s. 😀

1 hour ago, USG said:

I forgot that we had this conversation previously

Me too....thanks for reminding me...:D

I always try to keep the up side up, also......which can be harder than thought.

When i give away paper samples I strive to mark my up side.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

@USG, I have a hard time telling which side is which on the loose leaf packages from JetPens. Is it the side that faces the printed sheet or the side that faces the plastic? 

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

12 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

@USG, I have a hard time telling which side is which on the loose leaf packages from JetPens. Is it the side that faces the printed sheet or the side that faces the plastic? 

I’ve been using the side facing the label as the A side… but I never noticed a difference until now.

I always used the side facing the front label.

This is also a contribution to

Monthly Ink Challenge III – May 2024

I used my four inks and fountain pens to write four paragraphs, one with each pen, on three different paper types. Those are: Kyome 70 gsm letter pad, Neusiedler 80gsm BioTop3 extra copy paper and Mondi 80gsm Nautilus recycling copy paper. The copy paper types are loose sheets in packs of 500 each.

Pens and inks were:

Diamine Carnation Mix – in Pineider la Grande Bellezza F

Diamine Kelly Green – in Visconti vanGogh Irises M-stub

Fritz Schimpf Gewitterwolke – in Waterman Expert III F

deAtramentis Deepwater obsession Black-Green – in Saarpen 571/Sheaffer EF

Here is an overview of all three A4 sheets, with Nautilus, BioTop3 extra and Kyome, from left to right:

large.Threepapertypes.jpeg.935791203aa0e1a87d62f88323cb2885.jpeg

BioTop3 extra is slightly off-white, the other two are a clean neutral white. All ink lines look crisp and even the heavy ink application at the initials (Pilot Parallel Pen 2.4 mm with J.Herbin Cornaline d’Egypt, which is very wet) did not produce any feathering or bleed through.

While all the ink lines look a bit more pale on Kyome paper (right), the performance of the four inks did not follow a uniform rule over all three paper types. Diamine Kelly Green was much darker on Nautilus than it was on the other two paper types. The Sheaffer EF with deAtramentis Black-Green did struggle on the BioTop3 extra with several times reduced ink flow and pale lines – something that did not happen on the other two paper types. Diamine Carnation appeared almost pure pink on Kyome but was more salmon-like, as intended, on the other two paper types. And finally, F.Schimpf Gewitterwolke did show shading on all paper types, despite being a saturated dark blue, but more intense on Nautilus and on BioTop3 and only visible with magnification on Kyome.

Here are a couple USB microscope images, to illustrate some of the observations:

large.KellyGreen.png.2826b990446236a65bd72c6ef6c28937.png

Diamine Kelly Green: it is much darker on Nautilus (left).

large.Gewitterwolke.png.2242654fea85477e027aefe9fcc4012b.png

Fritz Schimpf Gewitterwolke: this saturated, dark blue ink shades on Nautilus and on BioTop3 paper.

large.Black-Green.png.3d519a04808080c10c37f4bf028d09a5.png

deAtramentis Black-Green: also this ink shades on copy paper, but on BioTop3 extra the lines appear unsteady.

large.Carnation.png.c4e26c3c7e3c32db46f438d47f0d110d.png

Diamine Carnation: the ink looks more salmon on BioTop3 (left) and more pink on Kyome (right) when inspected with bare eye - the microscope makes them all the same ...

The copy paper types did extremely well in holding and keeping ink, much to my surprise. Based on ink friendliness, I would choose the Mondi Nautilus over the other two – it is also the cheapest. However, the ability to hold ink is good but not all what is needed. The Nautilus had a special surface which felt like writing on sandpaper. It did not make a comfortable feel. So I would use either BioTop3 extra 80gsm or Kyome letter pad 70gsm for daily use with ink and pen, both are very good, the first a bit off-white, the second pure white.

However, none of them is even close to the outstanding quality of Neusiedler Japan Post.

PS: For those of you interested in what I wrote on the paper, here the translations of paragraphs 1 (Kelly Green) and 4 (Carnation), which are the same text on all three pages.

1) It has become very difficult to get good quality writing paper. While dedicated writing paper with 90 or 100g/m2 is at least mostly suitable for nib and ink, there is now no longer any 70 or 80g/m2 paper on which writing with a fountain pen produces pleasing results.

4) Despite all the commercial optimizations, there are still at least a few types of paper that are suitable for writing with ink and fountain pen. However, it has become necessary to look for them specifically and to make compromises, because either an increased paper weight or disadvantages in terms of colour and surface must be accepted.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

One life!

A very nice post with good paper explanations.

Up to a couple years ago, any cheap (twice as much as 80g copy paper)  90g copy paper shaded, the 80g didn't ((Rhoda 80g, and Neusiedler  80g don't count)). Then suddenly the 90 didn't shade:crybaby:,and I was disappointed that a number of 100g papers  didn't shade or didn't shade enough for the high price.

2 hours ago, InesF said:

Kyome 70 gsm letter pad, Neusiedler 80gsm BioTop3 extra copy paper and Mondi 80gsm

I just got my first Kyome 70g spiral paper pads this week. Plus or minus...very close to = Oxford Optic 90g/Clairefontaine Velout 90g. Very impressed and the price is good.

I just lucked out and found three reams 80g Neusiedler Japan Post on German Ebay small articles. It is what I'd been looking for,, since the good 90g or even good 100g papers died; a shading paper to put in my printer so my editing looks a bit prettier.

The last ream will go into my reserves, or much of it.

I have no idea if BioTop3 matches Japan Post...but having been impressed by Japan Post and now know there is another Neusiedler paper to be had...takes a load off any printer woes. (Mondi which makes Neusiedler now, has been somewhat disappointing all in all.)

I've not had any Mondi 80g. I originally was impressed with the expensive Mondi 100g, but then it lost it's glamor and became a printer paper right after I got hold of a half a ream of Mondi 120g.......now that I screwed on my head from my buying rush, that half a ream was very expensive. So even if not perfect, I don't see that as becoming a printer paper.

I do want my pretty inks to dance when I edit....so need a nice paper dance floor.

On 5/7/2024 at 4:21 AM, USG said:

Pen:  Jinhao X159 (M)

Ink: Organics Studio Santiago Sea Blue, which is a very dark teal with a pink sheen.

Paper:  Cosmo Snow

CLICK TO ENLARGE

IMG_5776900.jpg.e33aa42b902d90dcf8c45bdb6a0cf89f.jpg

IMG_5770800.jpg.bb64be272cac1c5f87f019f74355b486.jpg

IMG_5777800.jpg.8468f44aacb66a6890467cdd077f2982.jpg

From a Feb. post:  better shading and more color on Tomoe River

IMG_5298 900 B.jpg

I screwed up the pics with the double post. This is a repost.

Pen:  Jinhao X159 (M)

Ink: Organics Studio Santiago Sea Blue, which is a very dark teal with a pink sheen.

Paper:  Cosmo Snow

CLICK TO ENLARGE

IMG_5776900.jpg.72de62069bc147cbac6e2413d4cd144f.jpg

IMG_5770800.jpg.610944597a415c3a8e5ae8f5b7e50d97.jpg

IMG_5777800.jpg.6d999fbfd6c0e7caef4c5f6e70db6a04.jpg

From a Feb. post:  better shading and more color on Tomoe River

IMG_5298900B.jpg.76b01cbfacd651bcbf5435727e83043b.jpg

Great job all. 

I keep using the same notebooks, so nothing to contribute. It’s nice to see the inks and paper. @USG those shimmering inks, wow! And great photography to capture it. 

Posted Image

2 hours ago, Misfit said:

Great job all. 

I keep using the same notebooks, so nothing to contribute. It’s nice to see the inks and paper. @USG those shimmering inks, wow! And great photography to capture it. 

Thank you MzFit.  It's the best I can do with the lighting I have. 👍😀

@InesF  Fantastic write up, I wish I had your handwriting. 😀

In terms of shading and sheening I get my best results with Cosmo Snow and Iroful paper.  The only ink that you used that I also have is Cornaline d'Egypte.  It's a fabulous shimmer ink that shades and outlines with various pens.  I made some quick pics of how it behaves on some Cosmo Snow paper.

Here it is straight on  (CLICK TO ENLARGE and THEN CLICK AGAIN)

IMG_5803800.jpg.b36f04d7d83d17b0b532d4c66085bc65.jpg

Now at an angle

IMG_5787800.jpg.104440685462af7f816c20ed174fc91b.jpg

A closer view

IMG_5796800.jpg.3f7cc37e58d7faa21ecd74e914d22d7c.jpg

and even closer

IMG_5790800.jpg.4fcb3eab33a845b368549370c417010e.jpg

Yesterday’s writing sample, description in the writing: large.IMG_0929.jpeg.8884821f82d00b6d99b4beb0d1fd45da.jpeg

Today I am having trouble with choosing a pen and ink. I chose my paper- a crème TR 52 A5 page. I can’t for the life of me decide what pen I want to use or what color I want to write in. 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Thank you, @Misfit! I had choice paralysis for a moment.

So here’s today’s handiwork: large.IMG_0930.jpeg.b215929e40afe9d614b6a4d339177b9a.jpeg

3 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

[...] choice paralysis [...]

A term I had to note - I will never forget! :) :thumbup:

One life!